Nexus 7 II not connecting from the get-go

Reaction score
Newbie here.

I just got my new P3P and am attempting to fly it using a Nexus 7 II tablet I borrowed from a friend. The tablet was completely reset and is running Android 5.1.1. I'm pretty sure it actually is a Nexus 7 II (sometimes called a Nexus 7 (2013)) because it has cameras on both sides. I confess I'm unfamiliar with anything Android.

I have not done any updates to the aircraft or the controller because I want to make sure everything is working out of the box first. Plus, I've heard there are some issues with v1.2.6. (How can I tell which version is loaded into the aircraft?)

I had no problem downloading the DJI Pilot v1.2.0 app into the Nexus 7 and its display looks right. I connect it to the controller and power up the aircraft and controller. At this point nothing else happens. The Pilot app shows a gray "Disconnected" box that never changes. I am unable to make any changes to the aircraft. I've tried re-linking, didn't work. I shut off the WiFi on the Nexus because I heard or read that you were supposed to do that. Nothing works.

For kicks, I tried using my wife's iPhone 6 and WHAT! It works fine?! It prompts me to register my Phantom, log in to my DJI account and finally drops me into the app in the green "Safe to Fly" state. I didn't actually try to fly because I haven't done an IMU calibration or a compass calibration. I want to see if I can get the Nexus working first.

I've searched through this forum but don't see this problem. Any clues will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

P.S. I had an Advanced two weeks ago and flew it fine with my wife's iPhone 6, but the video was messed up so I returned it and ordered the Pro.

Newbie here.

I just got my new P3P and am attempting to fly it using a Nexus 7 II tablet I borrowed from a friend. The tablet was completely reset and is running Android 5.1.1. I'm pretty sure it actually is a Nexus 7 II (sometimes called a Nexus 7 (2013)) because it has cameras on both sides. I confess I'm unfamiliar with anything Android.

I have not done any updates to the aircraft or the controller because I want to make sure everything is working out of the box first. Plus, I've heard there are some issues with v1.2.6. (How can I tell which version is loaded into the aircraft?)

I had no problem downloading the DJI Pilot v1.2.0 app into the Nexus 7 and its display looks right. I connect it to the controller and power up the aircraft and controller. At this point nothing else happens. The Pilot app shows a gray "Disconnected" box that never changes. I am unable to make any changes to the aircraft. I've tried re-linking, didn't work. I shut off the WiFi on the Nexus because I heard or read that you were supposed to do that. Nothing works.

For kicks, I tried using my wife's iPhone 6 and WHAT! It works fine?! It prompts me to register my Phantom, log in to my DJI account and finally drops me into the app in the green "Safe to Fly" state. I didn't actually try to fly because I haven't done an IMU calibration or a compass calibration. I want to see if I can get the Nexus working first.

I've searched through this forum but don't see this problem. Any clues will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

P.S. I had an Advanced two weeks ago and flew it fine with my wife's iPhone 6, but the video was messed up so I returned it and ordered the Pro.

Have you turned on USB Debugging in the Developer Options on the Nexus?

In addition to debugging mode, you may also need to set the USB mode to PTP.

I am also on the older firmware. Using a Nexus 9, I sometimes (usually) have to unplug and reconnect the USB cable after I fire up the app and click on Camera and see the "Disconnected" state.

OK, I did both; I turned on USB debugging and set the USB mode to PTP. Had to do a bit of Googling to figure out how to do those, but now I am connected to the aircraft! Hooray!

I was out flying it earlier with my wife's iPhone 6 so my batteries are down to 18%. I will have to charge up the battery before proceeding, but I'll post back on my progress.

I can't thank you guys enough. Ya gotta love these forums.

Kevin H.

Reactions: MoreGone
Success! I have full control of the aircraft with my Nexus 7 II after the procedures recommended above. I went out at dusk and sent it up to take some 4K video and everything worked fine. I'm especially happy to see that both 4K and 1K video are free of Jello and Jitters. Jittery video is what prompted me to return the P3 Advanced I had a week or so ago.

I'd still be out there flying if the mosquitos weren't so bad.

Thanks again,

Kevin H.

I am having this problem also. I was using my cell phone, and it still works fine. I wanted to switch to the Nexus 7 2013 for the larger screen. It will not link to the aircraft even though the controller is green and I can start the motors w/o the pilot app working on the Nexus 7. I do have all updates, debugging mode and USB set to PTP in the storage settings. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

OK solved my problem. All I had to do was uninstall pilot app and reinstall it. Works now.

Last edited:
Piggybacking on this thread as I can't get DJI Go to connect to my 2012 Nexus 7.
Got all the USB debugging and PTP tried out. It says disconnected but when I push the Yaw stick the camera moves a bit back and forth.
It did connect once for a few seconds but that was it. P3P btw.

Any ideas?

Piggybacking on this thread as I can't get DJI Go to connect to my 2012 Nexus 7.
Got all the USB debugging and PTP tried out. It says disconnected but when I push the Yaw stick the camera moves a bit back and forth.

Any ideas?
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1441405059.628389.jpg

So it works fine with my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 which isn't even listed in your list.....
What are you trying to tell me?

Any ideas?

I'm in the same boat. New P3P but using a Nexus 7 (2013, 2nd gen). USB debugging enabled and set to PTP.

can't seem to get past the 'how to connect' page on the DJI Go App. (Nexus 7 connected to controller via the phantom included USB)

also can't get motors to startup. (is this normal?) controller connects to phantom but only controls pan and tilt functions on the camera gimbal.

I'm assuming firmware is up to date. Just received the bird two days ago. I've also tried installing/uninstalling the app a number of times. no luck.

lil help? thanks.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. New P3P but using a Nexus 7 (2013, 2nd gen). USB debugging enabled and set to PTP.

can't seem to get past the 'how to connect' page on the DJI Go App. (Nexus 7 connected to controller via the phantom included USB)

also can't get motors to startup. (is this normal?) controller connects to phantom but only controls pan and tilt functions on the camera gimbal.

I'm assuming firmware is up to date. Just received the bird two days ago. I've also tried installing/uninstalling the app a number of times. no luck.

lil help? thanks.

**Got it! looks like I needed to restart the nexus after enabling USB debugging. simple fix.
note: phantom firmware not up to date upon arrival. not the problem here, but in case any one was wondering...

Still no joy here... Nexus 7 2013..updated to 5.1.1 OS... and connection is lost to the controller.
PTP....USB debug....latest DJI Go.... I'm 5 minutes from drop-kicking this tablet. Was ok... now I'm updated out of $200.

Turn USB debug off and try

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Thread resurrection from the deep!
So we have had the P4 up and running straight away with my iphone 6s no problems, got a Nexus 7 (2) 2013 but cannot for the life of me get past "Disconnected"
I have tried all the above various options, debugging on/off, MTP/PTP, etc
Nexus is up to date, as is the P4.
As was stated earlier, gimbal moves and controller/P4 green light (matched)
Help

I'm having similar and even stranger problems connecting my Nexus 7's (both 2013) to my Phantom 4 Pro. As I said I have two Nexus 7's, they are identical except for storage, one is a 16gb the other is a 32gb, aside from that they are identical and both updated to the latest version of Android.

My first flight on my P4 I used the 32gb Nexus and it worked as expected. On my second day flying I could no longer get the same 32gb nexus to connect at all so I wrapped everything up and went home to grab my 16gb nexus which worked. Since then I have only been able to get the 32gb nexus to connect to the controller about 10/20% of the times i've tried, and this is trying everything from this thread and others, including switching between "just charging, mtp, ptp, usb debugging on/off" while my 16gb nexus connects on the first try about 80% of the time and with a little fiddling (turning the controller on and off, deleting the app and reinstalling etc...) the other 20% of the times i've tried.

The odd thing is, I know the controller is connected to the tablet because it always charges the tablet whether or not the app connects and I can always rotate the camera using the controller so I know the craft is also connected even though many times, even after getting the tablet to connect to the controller, it will still say it is not connected to the craft when it obviously is.

I had the nexus tablets before i got the phantom but i was really hoping they would work together since I already have two, apparently from what i've gathered, the android app just sucks and is unreliable and i'll need to get an iOS device if i really want consistent results (unless you guys have some advice).

I've also tried the app on my Nexus phone the 6P also with the latest android OS. It connected right away to bother craft and controller but the app tends to freeze mid flight minutes into any flight.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.