Newbie with Pre-Purchase Questions

Reaction score
Hello All,
As a veteran of other forums, I should ask if there is a thread that I should read first before posting further? I haven't purchased yet but am still researching. The plan is to create a side business for real estate listings, social and sporting events, etc.

Thank you everyone.
Casey

The Community Guidelines is a good place to start. Other than that, it's a good idea to search for a topic to make sure it doesn't already exist before posting something new.

For your side business, you'll need to get a 333 exemption. As part of the requirements in your approved exemption, you'll need to have at least a sport or recreational pilot license. There will also be a bunch of other rules to follow that hobbyists do not have to follow.

The Community Guidelines is a good place to start. Other than that, it's a good idea to search for a topic to make sure it doesn't already exist before posting something new.

For your side business, you'll need to get a 333 exemption. As part of the requirements in your approved exemption, you'll need to have at least a sport or recreational pilot license. There will also be a bunch of other rules to follow that hobbyists do not have to follow.

Thanks for the help, I'll check out the guidelines. I have looked into the exemption, but I need the make and model to enter into the request (almost there- leaning toward the P3A).

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I had read that there was a standard exemption that allows for flight up to 200 feet without a license. Are you possibly referring to flights above that ceiling or did I misunderstand the regs?

but I thought I had read that there was a standard exemption that allows for flight up to 200 feet without a license. Are you possibly referring to flights above that ceiling or did I misunderstand the regs?
I'm referring to any type of flights done for profit. At this time, you must have a 333 exemption.

I'm referring to any type of flights done for profit. At this time, you must have a 333 exemption.

I understand that part. I will need to apply for a Section 333 Exemption. The FAA site states that all such grants of exemption are automatically issued with a blanket Certificate of Waiver or Authorization (COA) allowing for 200 foot ceiling flights nationwide (with certain restrictions around airports, etc.) with no requirement for a license.

Do you have a different understanding?

The FAA site states that all such grants of exemption are automatically issued with a blanket Certificate of Waiver or Authorization (COA) allowing for 200 foot ceiling flights nationwide (with certain restrictions around airports, etc.)
This only applies to people who have a 333 exemption. It's not my understanding and/or opinion -- it's what it is. If you're confused, give the FAA a call and I'm sure they'd be happy to walk you through the process.

That's just it, I don't think I am confused. I apply for an exemption because I would be a business. If an exemption is granted, it comes with a COA allowing operation up to 200 feet without a license. If I wanted to go over 200 feet that is when a license would be required.

Whether you choose to understand the process or not, the FAA is still going to require you to have a license. Check out the approved exemptions here. As you will see, all of them require a license.

Here's that requirement in my exemption:

"The PIC must possess at least a private pilot certificate and a third-class airman medical certificate for all of petitioner’s flight operations. The PIC must also meet the flight review requirements specified in 14 CFR § 61.56 in an aircraft in which the PIC is rated on his or her pilot certificate."

A third-class airman medical certificate is no longer required. A driver's license can now be used in its place.

I have an exemption, so I know what I'm talking about ;)

I don't have a license, so I don't know from experience. But, the recreational pilot license should be the easiest to obtain.

I don't have a license, so I don't know from experience. But, the recreational pilot license should be the easiest to obtain.

I am more confused now than when I started this thread. Mike, you quoted the reg saying that an exemption required the PIC must hold an airman certificate, that you had an exemption, and that you did not hold an airman certificate. Did I read this correctly, or did I miss something?

I can speak to the airman certificate for Single-engine land, recreational use. The FAA requires 35-40 hours of flight time at an approved flight school (depending on whether the school operates as part 61 or part 141). However, most private pilots require 65-70 hours of training to meet the proficiency requirements in order to take the check ride and get the airman's certificate. Generally, this can be done as slow or as fast as you wish, but slower typically requires more and more flight hours due to lack of consistency. Figure $10,000-$15,000 for all costs from plane, fuel, instructor, equipment and your check ride, but you may be able to do it cheaper.

Looks like if this business is going to get off the ground (pun intended) I'll either need to find a pilot or wait and hope that the FAAs proposed rule on UASs gets approved.

I am more confused now than when I started this thread. Mike, you quoted the reg saying that an exemption required the PIC must hold an airman certificate, that you had an exemption, and that you did not hold an airman certificate. Did I read this correctly, or did I miss something?
You are correct. I have one of the first ~100 exemptions that were approved. That was back before anyone knew the manned aircraft certificate was going to be a requirement in all approved exemptions.

Even today, you still do not need a pilot certificate in order to apply for an exemption. However, it will be a requirement the FAA adds in your approved exemption, so it's something that will be needed in order to use the exemption.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl