Newbie questions

Reaction score
Have had a few flights with my P3 Advanced, and absolutely loving it!

Couple of questions:

1st question:
Most of the time when I turn it on and put it on the ground ready for take off i hear what sounds like ATTI MODE. Will sometimes say it multiple times. Will do this quite often if it is inside.. Always fly in P mode, anyone able to tell me what its trying to say/do? Craft GPS seems to be fine as it stops, and hovers as it should. Takes off fine and has the green safe to fly box at the top of the app prior to flying..

2nd question:
On last flight I also had at a couple of points weak RC signal..anyone know what this may be from? Flying appx 300m away, 100m altitude,RC battery was fully charged. Got me quite worried, seem to drop in and out of this warning I think it may have even dropped in and out of Lost signal (cannot fully remember, I was more worried about getting it back and landing) .Was in a open park, wasn't as if anything was obstructing it from the RC. Running the latest FW on both the craft and the RC & 2.4.3 iOS app. I plan to take it flying over the ocean in the coming days, the last thing I would want to see is RC problems.. Due to it dropping in and out, RTH never kicked in, I am assuming it only kicks in after a certain amount of seconds after lost signal..

Thanks

I don't know if there's anything in this, but my Advanced did exactly the same thing, kept repeating ATTI mode a number of times, even outdoors. In another thread, someone mentioned this happened to them after they upgraded the firmware to 1.6 (which I'd also done.) What firmware are you on?

I don't know if there's anything in this, but my Advanced did exactly the same thing, kept repeating ATTI mode a number of times, even outdoors. In another thread, someone mentioned this happened to them after they upgraded the firmware to 1.6 (which I'd also done.) What firmware are you on?
Yes I too am on 1.6. Cannot comment on previous FW's because it is only a week old and have only ever flown with 1.6. Does yours say safe to fly? And everything else acts normally?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I returned mine, actually, to place of purchase...it had dropped GPS and took off on its own in P-OPTI mode (I was flying in P-GPS mode) and crashed into a tree and then plummeted to the ground - and yes, I always had the Safe to Fly and good satellite coverage. They are replacing it with a new unit which should arrive Monday. I had it for two days when it crashed :(

Sometimes I have noticed the signal is worse when it is overhead. Make certain that the ant are oriented correctly.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have noticed this issue with DJI go app 2.5. Which version do you have?

1. If your Phantom loses satellite coverage, it will default to atti mode.

But if VPS is turned on, which apparently it is by default, it will switch to P-OPTI mode, not Atti, is that correct? I believe that's what happened to me.

The only difference between P-OPTI and ATTI is that VPS is being used to hold the position. And, VPS is useless when at the average flying height. So, both should create the same flying experience at that point -- meaning your Phantom is going to drift with the wind without stick input.

The only difference between P-OPTI and ATTI is that VPS is being used to hold the position. And, VPS is useless when at the average flying height. So, both should create the same flying experience at that point -- meaning your Phantom is going to drift with the wind without stick input.

Yes, I understand that...what I meant was, if VPS is on, and you lose GPS, it will go into P-Opti. If it's turned off, it will go into Atti. I understand they're the same in terms of wind drift and manual control.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

A weak R/C signal can be affected by a number of things... Start with Meta4's suggestion and check your antenna
position/orientation, and keep those antenna facing towards the Quad copter. Other signal transmissions, atmospheric
conditions all factor in.

The VPS is only functional at low altitude, and given the wrong ground terrain may not help at all. P-Opti is GPS
positioning. If too many satellite signals are lost, it reverts to ATTI Mode because there's no way to hold it's position
with satellite assistance, and the pilot is fully responsible for flying the craft until it can regain GPS lock. If you're
15 feet above the ground, VPS might offer SOME assistance, but from my experience, not much. At 150 ft, the
VPS module is dead weight.

Is there any way of telling if ATTI mode is one or not? Like I said when I first turn it on, she say ATTI mode, but there is normally around 15+ satellites so not sure why it is saying that..

As for the remote antennas I am now even a little more confused haha..So if it is flying say 300m away from me, how should I have the antennas? Flat or bent a little more so looking at the sky? I normally have them a little bent, not fully bent so they are basically 90deg to the control

Is there any way of telling if ATTI mode is one or not?
The current mode is displayed at the top, left of the DJI GO app. A high satellite count is not an indication that your Phantom is actually using GPS, so it's better to always keep an eye on your current mode. If the volume is turned up on your mobile device, the DJI GO app should alert you when the mode changes.

Mode.png

So if it is flying say 300m away from me, how should I have the antennas?
The long flat side of the antenna should always point at your Phantom. That means you should be constantly repositioning the remote controller as you're flying.

Make sure your remote is set to P on the top left corner of the remote as well... If you're still not seeing P-OPTI on the upper left corner of your display, something is not right. (especially with 15 sats locked)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl