Newbie Mistakes

Reaction score
So I got my Phantom 4 and I have had it for a week and this day It was night time and I wanted to get a pic of the moon as it was full and it had clouds overlaying. it was an awesome pic. So I hurry home get on my bike grab my drone and head to the park. I get her all setup and in the air. Go up to my local hight limit which was about 200 ft and started to take pics. Last time I forgot to put in my SD card but I have 2 now so I was good.
Flew around a while then packed up for the night. Excited to see my pics I got it all out of the box and pulled the footage. Just to see all of my pics were washed over with a red haze. I couldnt tell what was causing the problem but finally guessed that it was the reflction of the LEDs on the Phantom. I started playing with the camera settings and found an option to turn off LED's during photos etc.
SO long story short turn this option on before taking pics or vids. ( I would have thought that this would be a default option)

Nothing new there. Just takes once to figure it out. And just saying, it is not default for a reason. I think you can figure out why. ;)

Reactions: John1960
Nothing new there. Just takes once to figure it out. And just saying, it is not default for a reason. I think you can figure out why. ;)
Im lost. Why would you not want the front LED's to turn off for a brief second when taking photos? Why would you not want this to be a default? Thats how it works. Only just before you take the snapshot does the LED's turn off then after the shot they come back on as usual.

Im lost. Why would you not want the front LED's to turn off for a brief second when taking photos? Why would you not want this to be a default? Thats how it works. Only just before you take the snapshot does the LED's turn off then after the shot they come back on as usual.

in about 3 years of flying day and a lot of night time as well. It never occurred to me the need to shut off the led even though I know I can.
I usually shoot video and unless I make sudden movement the leds are not an issue.
seeing my quad at night is worth the glow at times

the flash "off" concept may be something though, for future firmware

in about 3 years of flying day and a lot of night time as well. It never occurred to me the need to shut off the led even though I know I can.
I usually shoot video and unless I make sudden movement the leds are not an issue.
seeing my quad at night is worth the glow at times

the flash "off" concept may be something though, for future firmware
This is how it works. and it only does it for the front two LED's for a brief second as you snap the photo. If are say shooting the moon and you camera is straight forward, and you dont have this option on you will get a red wash over the entire photo. The included photo was hovering at 200 Ft and shooting a moon shot. See the red wash.. if I had the option turned on I would have gotten a good shot. Thats all I was saying. This option should be turned on by default. My opinion of course.

Attachments

• DJI_0001.JPG
    DJI_0001.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 627
Reactions: Swizz
Why would you not want the front LED's to turn off for a brief second when taking photos?
The front LED's are and still are for aircraft orientation. The option is there to turn them off, if you desire to do so. Bottom line the primary purpose of the LED's is for visual identification of the front of the Aircraft......Pictures are secondary to flight safety..........

Reactions: 1boater and Lutrent
The front LED's are and still are for aircraft orientation. The option is there to turn them off, if you desire to do so. Bottom line the primary purpose of the LED's is for visual identification of the front of the Aircraft......Pictures are secondary to flight safety..........
Totally agree.

Down Load Davinci 14 (it's free) and use the selective color tools and you can remove the magenta
There are tons of tutorials on YouTube

Blackmagic Design: DaVinci Resolve 14
I don't mind that they are there, I just wish the would by default shut off for the split second when I am taking photos. That option must be set for them to do so. When your a newbie, its a wasted flight as you dont see it until after you have landed and downloaded the pics.

They go away only during the snap of the photo if one wishes, perfectly fine.

Reactions: Lutrent
The reason it's not a default from the factory is for liability purposes, protecting DJI. It's perfectly logical FOR YOU to set the auto LED shut-off during shutter as your default and leave it there, now that you know how it works.

For those that don't read the manual (like you :p), if it was the default from the factory to turn off during shutter, and the pilot didn't know because he didn't read the manual, he might think the craft is defective, seeing the LEDs go off during night flights, not knowing what it's for. This might trigger a request for repair if he didn't read the manual.

I recommend you read the manual from cover to cover before you fly again. The GO app is huge, lots to learn as a newbie. Learn about every setting option, but make sure you read about RTH a couple times and experiment with it in the field so you know exactly how it works. This is very important since RTH isn't used much. When you need it, you really need to know how it works, it's limitations, and options.

The reason it's not a default is for liability purposes, protecting DJI. It's perfectly logical to set the auto LED shut-off during shutter as your default and leave it there, now that you know how it works.

For those that don't read the manual (like you :p), if it was default to turn off during shutter, and the pilot didn't know because he didn't read the manual, he might think the craft is defective, seeing the LEDs go off during flight, not knowing what it's for. This might trigger a request for repair if he didn't read the manual.

I recommend you read the manual from cover to cover before you fly again. The GO app is huge, lots to learn as a newbie. Learn about every setting option, but make sure you read about RTH a couple times and experiment with it in the field so you know exactly how it works. This is very important since RTH isn't used much. When you need it, you really need to know how it works, it's limitations, and options.

Great Suggestion.. Will do.....

The reason it's not a default from the factory is for liability purposes, protecting DJI. It's perfectly logical FOR YOU to set the auto LED shut-off during shutter as your default and leave it there, now that you know how it works.

For those that don't read the manual (like you :p), if it was the default from the factory to turn off during shutter, and the pilot didn't know because he didn't read the manual, he might think the craft is defective, seeing the LEDs go off during night flights, not knowing what it's for. This might trigger a request for repair if he didn't read the manual.

I would worry if someone didn't make the connection w/o having to refer to the manual in regards to the red lights & pictures. Not sure I would want them flying. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl