Newbie here looking for guidance

Reaction score
I am planning to purchase a quad and am looking at a P4 to start. My question is, If I purchase a P4 std now and as funds permit begin to upgrade to a P4 adv or better little by little. Alternatively, I like the P3 adv and Pro but I sure like some of the advanced software of the P4. I am a hobbyist and want these mostly for my own enjoyment. I have been watching the videos of both models and am liking what I see in both, but am just exploring future options.
Thanks,
Jim

Jim, greetings and welcome to the site!
Well, your question isn't uncommon - it's in fact the most common of all, since all of us have asked the same question, in one form or another, since the very beginning of drone flying!

Okay, so here we go.
If this is your first drone, then I'd strongly suggest you follow this path, closely:

1) buy a Hubsan X4 or a Nano drone, anything that is under $100, more like $50, and a handful of batteries, and a good balanced charger.

2) fly at least one battery a day, every day

3) learn about nose out, nose in, walking the dog, coordinated turns, recovery procedures, pre-flight procedures, LiPo battery specifics, and then, if you're going there

4) lean about photography and/or videography

5) this is all in addition to your getting a "real" drone to fly. Only you won't be actually flying that expensive drone, not at first. The DJI Go or Go 4 app on your iPhone or tablet has a very nice flight simulator program built into it that you WILL be flying regularly until, well, you can stand the aircraft on its nose and make it beg.

6) BEFORE you take your expensive drone out into the real world (read: wind and weather), take your little drone out there first. Get blown about for a week or so, see how the drone reacts to wind, currents, humidity, temperature, Fly that around some and bring it back home, one battery every flight, at least a flight a day.

7) NOW fly your expensive drone, but stay well within a controlled area, say no more than 50ft away from you. Run through your nose-in, nose-out, walk-the-dog routines that you're sick of by now on your little drone, and only then, when you're comfortable with that, start increasing your flight radius (not altitude yet) until you're comfy, then lastly add height.

8) fly both drones (the small one will always be harder to fly, think of it as a stick shift against a Phantom's auto transmission) as much as you can. For me that was at least one battery a day, every day.

Now, as far as equipment is concerned, some salient factors:

A) Do you actually have a 4k capable TV to play your 4k video back on?

B) Do you have a 4k capable editing suite and the knowledge to edit your videos in native 4k?

C) Are you going to release your videos to the public in 4k? Bear in mind that most commercial CINEMA releases are in 2k, and most HD TV shows are in 1k.

Unless you're going to go 4k, a P3Pro is way good enough image-wise to get excellent video and photos.
Anything more...is more.

In a nutshell, the higher spec your camera goes... the higher spec that EVERYTHING in the media chain between your camera and your end viewing screen has to be, in order to play back that high spec video your camera just shot.

(Here's a clue: I spent around $5k upgrading my professional editing suite to 4k spec when I landed a feature film that was to be released in 4k. But I never actually got to make a 4k master, just the regular 2k DCP (Digital Cinema Package) that goes into most pro cinemas. Since that time (I'm talking mid 2015, a digital age ago), I've been asked to shoot, and have received footage from the field, in 4k, 5k, and now 8k origination. And the first thing I do is to down-convert all this waaay expensive footage into ProRes 444HQ or similar, in good old 1080p, for finishing and broadcasting purposes. The original footage hasn't been touched since the transfer. So. Did I need to advertise that I'm an 8k capable facility? Sure, to get the best paying gigs. Did I actually USE any of that 4k+ capability? Sure - to downconvert the footage into regular HD so that the rest of the world, including the clients, could easily download, stream, whatever, the media onto their iPhones or laptops and actually play the footage back without it stuttering and hanging...)

So P3A? not so much, the visual quality is below par on a regular HD TV. P3P? Great. P4? Better. P4P? Better yet. Inspire 2? Even better.

And don't forget, the bleeding edge of technology dictates that whatever you buy, at whatever price you pay, next year there will be something better, and cheaper, than what you just bought.
Which is why drones, like iPhones or cars, are new only until they leave the lot. Then they're used drones. At used drone prices.

Which, by the way, is okay by me!

Jim, greetings and welcome to the site!
Well, your question isn't uncommon - it's in fact the most common of all, since all of us have asked the same question, in one form or another, since the very beginning of drone flying!

Okay, so here we go.
If this is your first drone, then I'd strongly suggest you follow this path, closely:

1) buy a Hubsan X4 or a Nano drone, anything that is under $100, more like $50, and a handful of batteries, and a good balanced charger.

2) fly at least one battery a day, every day

3) learn about nose out, nose in, walking the dog, coordinated turns, recovery procedures, pre-flight procedures, LiPo battery specifics, and then, if you're going there

4) lean about photography and/or videography

5) this is all in addition to your getting a "real" drone to fly. Only you won't be actually flying that expensive drone, not at first. The DJI Go or Go 4 app on your iPhone or tablet has a very nice flight simulator program built into it that you WILL be flying regularly until, well, you can stand the aircraft on its nose and make it beg.

6) BEFORE you take your expensive drone out into the real world (read: wind and weather), take your little drone out there first. Get blown about for a week or so, see how the drone reacts to wind, currents, humidity, temperature, Fly that around some and bring it back home, one battery every flight, at least a flight a day.

7) NOW fly your expensive drone, but stay well within a controlled area, say no more than 50ft away from you. Run through your nose-in, nose-out, walk-the-dog routines that you're sick of by now on your little drone, and only then, when you're comfortable with that, start increasing your flight radius (not altitude yet) until you're comfy, then lastly add height.

8) fly both drones (the small one will always be harder to fly, think of it as a stick shift against a Phantom's auto transmission) as much as you can. For me that was at least one battery a day, every day.

Now, as far as equipment is concerned, some salient factors:

A) Do you actually have a 4k capable TV to play your 4k video back on?

B) Do you have a 4k capable editing suite and the knowledge to edit your videos in native 4k?

C) Are you going to release your videos to the public in 4k? Bear in mind that most commercial CINEMA releases are in 2k, and most HD TV shows are in 1k.

Unless you're going to go 4k, a P3Pro is way good enough image-wise to get excellent video and photos.
Anything more...is more.

In a nutshell, the higher spec your camera goes... the higher spec that EVERYTHING in the media chain between your camera and your end viewing screen has to be, in order to play back that high spec video your camera just shot.

(Here's a clue: I spent around $5k upgrading my professional editing suite to 4k spec when I landed a feature film that was to be released in 4k. But I never actually got to make a 4k master, just the regular 2k DCP (Digital Cinema Package) that goes into most pro cinemas. Since that time (I'm talking mid 2015, a digital age ago), I've been asked to shoot, and have received footage from the field, in 4k, 5k, and now 8k origination. And the first thing I do is to down-convert all this waaay expensive footage into ProRes 444HQ or similar, in good old 1080p, for finishing and broadcasting purposes. The original footage hasn't been touched since the transfer. So. Did I need to advertise that I'm an 8k capable facility? Sure, to get the best paying gigs. Did I actually USE any of that 4k+ capability? Sure - to downconvert the footage into regular HD so that the rest of the world, including the clients, could easily download, stream, whatever, the media onto their iPhones or laptops and actually play the footage back without it stuttering and hanging...)

So P3A? not so much, the visual quality is below par on a regular HD TV. P3P? Great. P4? Better. P4P? Better yet. Inspire 2? Even better.

And don't forget, the bleeding edge of technology dictates that whatever you buy, at whatever price you pay, next year there will be something better, and cheaper, than what you just bought.
Which is why drones, like iPhones or cars, are new only until they leave the lot. Then they're used drones. At used drone prices.

Which, by the way, is okay by me!

He just wants to buy a drone not become Stephen Spielberg..LOL Buy a Phantom 3 Professional and use Litchi for the waypoints etc, More bang for the buck-- you can get in for less than $600. Good advise about the Hubsan, though....and yes, you get much more bang for the buck with "older" models. Not as painful if the fly away, too,

Andy, hi!

Well, one never knows, these days, right? A lot of people don't really know that the major difference between something like a P3P and something that's more expensive is really to do with the quality of the camera, gimbal and camera platform (i.e. tripod modes and what have you). So if you don't need all of the video stuff and just want to fly around and enjoy that, then really, a P3P is more than enough. But does DJI want you to know that? Of course not....

And yes, I do believe that almost everybody has had a flyaway at one stage or another. Far better that it's a $50 drone than a $1500 one, right?

Funny, I still have this mental image of something like a Mavic in high winds... reminds me of a cork floating in the ocean, with a teeny little guy on board saying "but I have GPS! Look! See? And I have a power paddle! It's version 4, the latest! And it paddles fast!!!" as the cork is taken by the current, further and further away from the shore...

Hi Jim!
Just want to give you a heads up before buying a dji product. Listen to the people that say don't buy dji because of terrible customer service. I'm one of those victims who is very very sorry.

Reactions: RunawayDrone

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl