Which companion for a Phantom 4

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone.
I just tried to sell my P4 in order to free up some cash to get a smaller drone to take with me on the motorcycle.. however I couldn't bring my self to do it..
I very quickly realised that everything I dislike about the size of the Phantom I would miss when trying to do stuff with webODM, and living in Scotland, the ability to fly in a stiff breeze is always welcome. I am nothing more than a hobbyist, so it's not like I need it for work, but it's fun none the less.

So now the question is, what to do now, I have a reduced budget for a 'travel' drone so which so I go for? I have been looking at the mini series as the obvious choices, but can't settle on which one.
With a P4 in the house, is there a real benefit to choosing a Mini 2 over a Mini, or the SE version of either?

I would like to hear people's thoughts and reasonings..

Thanks.

is there a real benefit to choosing a Mini 2 over a Mini, or the SE version of either?
The original Mini and Mini SE are very slow, low powered drones, much les able to cope with wind.
The Mini 2 is a significant improvement on them.

Interesting, I didn't realise there was that much of a difference between then. I will keep an eye open for a good deal on a used Mini 2 then I guess.

Yip proud owner of underpowered SE,Let alone the size of it in the sky,,,sold my p4 to help me dog but if I had a bike and a phantom I'd look at some sort of saddle bag or flash crate boxs that strap on bike ,
Myself still prefer the phantom range(cant afford 2 buy one or two though)😁

Interesting, I didn't realise there was that much of a difference between then. I will keep an eye open for a good deal on a used Mini 2 then I guess.
The original Mini was replaced fairly quickly by the Mini 2.
The Mini 2 had big improvements in climbing, descending and horizontal speed and more camera features.
But the biggest improvement was going to Occusynch for the controller rather than enhanced wifi.
This gives the Mini 2 a much better range, screen video and control.

Yip proud owner of underpowered SE,Let alone the size of it in the sky,,,sold my p4 to help me dog but if I had a bike and a phantom I'd look at some sort of saddle bag or flash crate boxs that strap on bike ,
Myself still prefer the phantom range(cant afford 2 buy one or two though)😁
Unfortunately, the bike is already going to be fully loaded, the old man and I are taking the Motorcycles around the Outer Hebrides for a week so will be stacked up with camping kit. A mini would fit nicely in the tank bag and I can attach the controller to the handlebars for recording on the go.

I have the Phantom 3 and looking for a smaller bird for the same reason. lot's of luggage space on my bike but touring swallows that up but a tankbag fitting drone would be great. I would love a Mavic in there but it would have to be a newer model for future plans but a Mini2 if cheap enough might do for now.

I have a friend with the first Mavic mini and the fly more combo, I could probably get a good deal off him as he is looking to upgrade to the Mini 2 so he can get the Smart RC. But I know the mini 1 is already outdated. I recently discovered the Mavic Air 2s, it's a little out of my budget though, but would make a good compromise to owning 2x drones. Maybe something to think about for the future. with all the uncertainty of what the CAA has in mind for us Drone users in the UK I don't want to spend lots and end up not being able to fly anywhere.

What about the Mini 3? I just bought one two weeks ago and it's pretty good. I'm used to my old P4P+ but the video of the Mini 3 is quite comparable. I bought the Mini 3 because flying in habituated areas is very limited for the Phantom.
And of course, you can put it in your pocket.

I also looked at the mini 3, but it's a bit too expensive at the moment for my budget, similarly, the Air 2s is still pretty expensive. Also, the Air 2s is in the same category as the P4 in the UK so I don't gain any extra use cases with it, other than portability. The Mini 2 just about fits my revised budget now that I am keeping the P4 and gives me loads more options. the Mini 1 with fly more combo is more affordable still but I feel I might miss the extra power and stability the Mini 2 offers.

I have a P3P and Mavic Pro Platinum, both 'legacy' drones but I'm perfectly happy with them and have no plans to sell or trade.

I've never been a 'got to have the latest and greatest' type, and my next purchase will likely be a mini-size DJI.... so a Mini 2 is it for me.

Neither I am not a fan of the latest models. I have had P4P+ for 6 years now! Well, as a matter of fact, it is the latest model as there hasn't been any other after. LOL.
I assume the Mini 2 will be OK as well. I was just saying the pic quality might be slightly better at Min 3.

Possibly, but I am not a photographer so I really don't need the highest-spec camera there is, also the Mini 3 is still too expensive for my deep Scottish pockets!!!. I do enjoy getting the P4 up for some photogrammetry and making models though. The mini is purely to have some fun and allow me to get some footage while out and about without having to lug the P4 about.
To be perfectly honest, the gen 1 Mini or Mini SE would likely be perfectly adequate, but as it's for chasing a motorcycle, I may as well get the Mini 2. I currently have a bid on eBay for a Mini 2 fly more combo, so will see how that goes.

As an owner of a Mavic Mini and Mini 2. I have to say the Mini 2 is a major upgrade in many ways. The camera is a 4K camera just like the Phantom while the Mini has a 2.7K. The Mini 2 handles wind better and the motors are a lot quieter as well. The distance is a lot better using Occusync now instead of Enhance Wifi. I can actually fly up to 400 ft high and fly out to a mile with it without a problem. The Drone also uses USB C to charge everything compared to USB Micro not that makes much difference. The remote is much more up to date. Much more easier to use. I find that I get longer battery life out of the Mini 2 as well. So I hope this helps a little in making your decision.

Reactions: Calcifur
I have to agree with the others. Mini 2 is a great drone. I still think for the $$$, it's pound-for-pound the best DJI drone. Also, have you considered the Mini 3 (not the mini 3 pro, the "regular" mini 3)? $369 for the base unit the last I saw. You can use Mini 2 controller (you don't have to buy another controller) if you already have one.

I'd stay away from original Mavic Mini or Mini se. Enhanced Wifi is pretty bad and the (very) weak motors is a recipe for disaster, even in 10mph winds.

Someone mentioned Air 2s - while more expensive...it's **** good. That 1" sensor on the camera is excellent. It's my favorite at the moment.

I have a bid on eBay for a Mini 2 fly more at the moment, so waiting to see where that goes.
The Air 2S would be a good drone, but in the UK falls into the same classification as the P4 so, although being more portable still gives me the same operator restrictions, whereas the Mini series would allow me to fly nearer to people/buildings as required.
I looked at the Mini 3 but I would need the fly more combo which pushes the price up. The Mini 2 I am bidding on is currently at £160 so I can't argue with that. Even if it does have mild crash damage, it's all cosmetic so I really don't care that much. It's going to get abused chasing a motorcycle and kids anyway. I am not using these for commercial use so I don't need the best of the best, just the best I can afford without irritating S.H.M.B.O....🤣

>I have a P3P and Mavic Pro Platinum, both 'legacy' drones but I'm perfectly happy with them and have no plans to sell or trade.
umanbean- I still have a P3P as well. Still love it.

> sold my p4 to help me dog
ianzone- I hear ya. So you sold your Phantom 4 to help out your puppy dog's healthcare bills? You are a great dog owner!

Unfortunately, the bike is already going to be fully loaded, the old man and I are taking the Motorcycles around the Outer Hebrides for a week so will be stacked up with camping kit. A mini would fit nicely in the tank bag and I can attach the controller to the handlebars for recording on the go.
That's cool,,well have a safe ride ,take care

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik