New V 2.0 props for p4p ?

DJI claim that there are two changes that contribute to the noise improvement on the V2 drone. One of them is supposedly due to the ESC change to a sinusoidal waveform. So I was suggesting such a test in order to quantify that difference just for a data point. If there is a difference then it *could* address your assertion that, as you said, "[t]here isn't going to be any significant difference between the P4P V2 and V1 with the new props, whatever improvement there is on one will be on the other." The ESC change could mean that there would be a difference. And I think this is DJI's claim.

It's true that the difference might be masked. But might the difference instead be cumulative and not masked?

I'd still be curious to know how much of a difference, if any, the sine wave change makes without the props in the mix.

I guess what I'm saying is that even if there is a difference without the props in the mix it is irrelevant because the drone is useless without props, i.e. motors without props it is a test exercise without any real-world significance. The test we need is a back-to-back test of both the V1 and V2 in flight, both with the new props and measured at a reasonable distance, and a comparison of noise levels. Someone will no doubt do that soon. The reason I am so skeptical is that the motors make up such a small portion of the total noise emitted (the vast majority by far is prop noise) that it doesn't make a lot of logical sense that the motors/ESC alone could produce a recognizable difference under real-world in-flight conditions. At flight idle on the ground when the props are slow? Maybe, possibly... but who cares. The only meaningful test is with the bird in the air. It's such an obvious question that I'm surprised Drone Valley didn't cover it in their otherwise comprehensive test, but maybe they'll catch it in an update.

Last edited:
I just want to know will the new props make my P4P be more stable in a hover, or give better flight performance?

The Drone Valley test indicated that the new props seemed maybe a bit more stable, but nothing definitive. Kinda difficult thing to measure accurately. I would say that if we can get a noise reduction without any negative performance hit that's great, and anything else is gravy.

Did anybody get the new 2.0 props? Are they quieter?

I also watched the side-by-side comparison from the video from Drone Valley and others. It seems that the new props can reduce the noise by about 4dB, and increases flytime 1 or 2min.
I pre-ordered 8 pieces (2 sets) from B&H photo. 15 days passed, I still haven't seem the shipping information.

With my V2 the biggest things that I noticed during flight is lifting off and descending is definitely quieter.... forward flight is hard to distinguish any difference it is quiet hovering up at 200 ft.... flight performance seems to be about the same with the V1 no change there. To my ears there is less of a whine... and more of a deeper pitch.

I hope you're right. I'm not upgrading soon but I will happily get the new props as mine wear out.
I mean they are cheap so whats the harm in just trying them out instead of trying to guess...grab a set!

I mean they are cheap so whats the harm in just trying them out instead of trying to guess...grab a set!
Everywhere they're out of stock or on backorder.

It's true that the difference might be masked. But might the difference instead be cumulative and not masked?

I'd still be curious to know how much of a difference, if any, the sine wave change makes without the props in the mix.

Correct, if one has both quads (original and V2), all is needed is to run them quads with the props removed ... to assess the difference with the new sinusoidal controllers.

I saw a guy just cut the original props to the shape of the new ones with scissors in the exact shape, and it worked, Pitch was lower, Where can we get these new props now ?

The video was made my Ken Herron
The new props have a different pitch so I doubt they sounded just like the new ones.

I could be mistaken but it looked like they were available from the DJI store today (5/22/18). I did not see anything which stated they were still on backorder or out of stock, although I didn't actually order any having just ordered 8 pairs of regular OEM props a few weeks ago. Someone please correct me if I missed something blindingly obvious on the DJI site.

173bb58d385ea3d951a555afb5362a28.jpg
Still out of stock here

The new props have a different pitch so I doubt they sounded just like the new ones.
And they are wider too. Or I believe the aeronautical term is they have a longer chord.

Reactions: Brojon
IMG_4745.jpg

IMG_4746.jpg

IMG_4748.jpg

Reactions: Ripper7620
There are really many aspects to propeller noise and 'tones'. Not meaning to lecture anyone, just my 0.02.

Fans/Propellers generate two types of sound: Tonal and broadband. The tonal component is due to the blade-passage-frequency and is calculated from: Freq = RPM * #blades / 60. Typically one would see/hear Freq and multiples (harmonics). The turbulent component has more to do with the aerodynamics (profile) of the blade

Now, if we are to compare old vs. new, we have to make sure they are both spinning at the same RPM. If the new props are more 'efficient' and provide more lift at a lower rpm, then possibly the observed change in pitch is due to a different speed.

The change in profile at the tip of the new blades (winglets) is also found on some planes, and is meant to drag i.e. longer battery life.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20