New update for Premiere Pro is insanely bad

Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else, but the recent update for PP is just terrible. I had it crash on me (not responding) about five times now while editing a video and everything I've done during that session is lost. So, for example, if I open the session with a video comprised of four clips totaling about 17 minutes and over a session lasting an hour I've pruned the video down to, say, 9 minutes while doing frequent saves about every couple minutes, and then the program stop playback of the video and can't be restarted. I can scrub the timeline pointer and select different clips but I can not move to different clips using the cursor and I can not resume playback.

I wait for 20 minutes hoping something fixes itself, and it doesn't, and then I click on the "X" at the top right to close the program ... and it doesn't close. I go into task manager (Win 10) and it says PP is "Not Responding". So, finally, I right click on it in task manager and end the task and PP finally closes. And now for the even better news ... when I re-launch PP and open the edit session I was working on absolutely everything I've done in a hour of editing is gone and I'm back to 17 minutes of unedited video.

This has happened five time now and in total I've wasted about 3 hours of my time. Again, all the while during the edit session I'm doing frequent saves but apparently none of them are being done so there's no point in saving.

Adobe is a terrible company -- I HATE THEM!

Brian

Well I decided to try a different video to edit and I am having the same problem. At this point I have several hours of video to edit but I do not have a program that I can trust to work. Mind you, I am paying Adobe $50/month for the privilege of doing hours of work only to have the program crash losing everything I've done. Perhaps they want me to do a single edit, save, exit the program, relaunch the program, do another edit, save, exit and continue this until my work is done -- 6 years later!

Yes, I'm venting!

Brian

It sounds like your using a very weak under powered computer. Do you cut all your clips with windows 10 photo program before you start trying to edit?

I built an editing workstation precisely for doing 4K editing. The PC consists of an Intel i7-5820K 6-core CPU that's slightly over-clocked, an nVidia 980TI that's slightly over-clocked and both are water cooled, the box has four 200mm and five 120mm fans for cooling. I have 32GB of DDR4 RAM and my main drive is a 512GB PCIe SSD that's 4X the speed of the best SATA SSD's. My original video files are stored on a couple WD Black 6TB HD's that average about 185MB/sec. My PC isn't the problem! I wasn't having this problem before the latest update and I've edited many 4K videos with it.

As I have always done and I mean for a couple years I maintain the original files just as they came from the drone/camera. I do all the editing within PP.

Brian

Have you tried any other video editors or are you just hard core adobe?

I completely ditched Adobe and went to davinci resolve. I tried the free version and then very quickly purchased the studio version because it supports x265 natively.
If you can use premier pro then davinci resolve is not hard to learn.
Everything runs so smoothly. Editing in Adobe was like running through treacle all the time.

I had Sony Vegas years ago, and really liked it. I was always under the impression that Linux was is best operating system for video editing. I don't know if you ever tried any open source editors like openshot?

Have you tried any other video editors or are you just hard core adobe?

What the heck does "are you just hard core Adobe" mean? Am I to understand that a problem you thought was due to a wimpy PC is now a result of my not playing musical chairs with a plethora of different NLE's?

Here's the deal ... I did NOT have this problem before the last update and now I do -- simple enough for you?

Brian

Reactions: Franky
Hey? Don't be so snippy, I'm just trying to help. At this point I think you should just take a break, maybe get some sleep.

Reactions: Surferchicusa
Hey? Don't be so snippy, I'm just trying to help. At this point I think you should just take a break, maybe get some sleep.

Yes, I am p!ssed and YOU are not helping. First it was -- I'm trying to edit 4K video on a potato and then it was -- have you tried an unspecified number of other NLE's. Give me a break!

Brian

Reactions: Slim.Slamma
What the heck does "are you just hard core Adobe" mean? Am I to understand that a problem you thought was due to a wimpy PC is now a result of my not playing musical chairs with a plethora of different NLE's?

Here's the deal ... I did NOT have this problem before the last update and now I do -- simple enough for you?

Brian

Hahaha come on Brian, summer down [emoji23] This is the fun of editing. The best way of upgrading is to not do it until the coast is clear. You chose to update it and everyone knows that most companies use these updates as a way of beta testing their release and waiting for the support tickets to roll in. It happens across most NLE’s and most other softwares that aren’t related to editing. It shouldn’t be this way but it is and it’s more your fault for blindly updating. Roll back the version.

Reactions: Fordie
Brian, Try the Adobe forum if the help or advice here isn't to your liking.
I've been building editing PCs for years and could give you loads of technical advice but your attitude towards the replys given makes me inclined to not bother.
If you spent any time on the Adobe forums over the last few years you would have learnt already that installing an update early on is foolish. (in fact why update at all?)
When I moved to davinci resolve i continued that policy. My system runs fine so I will not update unless there is a new feature i need to have to complete my work. Good luck on the Adobe forums there will probably be lots of people on there with similar issues. That's why I left.

Also Brian, you never said what kind of computer you were using. My crystal ball is in the shop having a crack fix so I had no way to see what kind of computer you were using ether. When someone speaks of the symtoms you described it's not unusual to assume that maybe your computer was underpowered for the job.

I will say that I don't think Adobe is worth $50.00 a month, but that's just my opinion. I've seen people do amazing work with free opensource software like Blender and so on.

Personaly if I built a computer with that kind of power, and was video editing; I would be running Linux, and NOT windows.

Reactions: Neon Euc
Creative Cloud is, at best, a challenge. I will most likely go off CC in November when my subscription ends. There are too many good alternatives now.

BUT - Adobe has made it relatively painless to roll back an update.

Install a previous version of any Creative Cloud application

You might try this to see if it helps.

Thanks WetDog, I will have to roll back until Adobe pulls there head out.

I realize my attitude was pretty crappy but yesterdays frustrations included numerous PP crashes after hours of work and on top of that PhantomPilots was locking me out due to someone or something hammering the site. All in all not a good day for me with hours of video to edit and no way to do it. I'll try to roll back and hopefully that will get me back up and running.

Brian

Also Brian, you never said what kind of computer you were using. My crystal ball is in the shop having a crack fix so I had no way to see what kind of computer you were using ether. When someone speaks of the symtoms you described it's not unusual to assume that maybe your computer was underpowered for the job.

I will say that I don't think Adobe is worth $50.00 a month, but that's just my opinion. I've seen people do amazing work with free opensource software like Blender and so on.

Personaly if I built a computer with that kind of power, and was video editing; I would be running Linux, and NOT windows.

If I were younger I might be inclined to give Linux a go, but my experience with OS/2 in the late 80's and early 90's as well as with the Mac in the late 90's didn't impress me with them so my taste for trying something else aint what it used to be.

No, I never said what kind of PC I had, but I did say this was happening after an update so a reasonable person could infer that I was able to edit before the update which would negate the hardware issue.

I am not a fan of the Adobe business model and I do not like the subscription model at all. As a long time photographer I have experience with Photoshop as almost all photogs have to so it was a reasonable progression from the to PP. When PP is working it is a great cutter while only an average with color correction. In my case I seldom use LUT's as I prefer to correct each scene as it is rather than force someone else's idea of what is best.

If I did not have the need for Photoshop and were starting out today I'd probably go with DaVinci Resolve, but since I do have a need for PS and PP is very good at cutting that's why I use it.

Brian

If I were younger I might be inclined to give Linux a go, but my experience with OS/2 in the late 80's and early 90's as well as with the Mac in the late 90's didn't impress me with them so my taste for trying something else aint what it used to be.

No, I never said what kind of PC I had, but I did say this was happening after an update so a reasonable person could infer that I was able to edit before the update which would negate the hardware issue.

I am not a fan of the Adobe business model and I do not like the subscription model at all. As a long time photographer I have experience with Photoshop as almost all photogs have to so it was a reasonable progression from the to PP. When PP is working it is a great cutter while only an average with color correction. In my case I seldom use LUT's as I prefer to correct each scene as it is rather than force someone else's idea of what is best.

If I did not have the need for Photoshop and were starting out today I'd probably go with DaVinci Resolve, but since I do have a need for PS and PP is very good at cutting that's why I use it.

Brian
Most pros that I know that use CC have 'frozen' their workflow at a particular version and only 'upgrade' if there is a specific reason to or if they're bored and in between projects. Lately, Adobe has been playing 'move the cheese' in some weird attempt to make all of the CC programs work alike. A laudable goal, I suppose, but a PITA on a day-to-day basis.

I have yet to find a good replacement for Photoshop, unfortunately. Affinity Photo is sort of close but not there yet. DaVinci is a good editor but it isn't After Effects. Still and all, I'm going to try over the summer to get rid of Adobe.

Creative Cloud is, at best, a challenge. I will most likely go off CC in November when my subscription ends. There are too many good alternatives now.

BUT - Adobe has made it relatively painless to roll back an update.

Install a previous version of any Creative Cloud application

You might try this to see if it helps.

Well, apparently this is no longer possible with PP. First, when I follow the guidance in your link I find that there is no "Find Additional Apps" option and without that there's no way using that method to find an older version to install. Second, on the Adobe forums they are all saying you can no longer roll back.

Brian

Linux has come a long way and it's a wonderful platform, but it's really something you have to plan out before building your computer - because a lot of motherboard chipsets just arnt compatible with their system. I just think that windows has to much bloatware and adware. Also they seem to be in cahoots with a lot of software companies that have very high inflated prices.

Linux has come a long way and it's a wonderful platform, but it's really something you have to plan out before building your computer - because a lot of motherboard chipsets just arnt compatible with their system. I just think that windows has to much bloatware and adware. Also they seem to be in cahoots with a lot of software companies that have very high inflated prices.

I've never been a fan of MS but there dominance and the fact that most software is compatible with Windows along with more than 36 years of MS and 30 years of Windows makes jumping ship pretty hard. Again, if I were younger and not so wed to Windows I might give Linux a go but I'm not and I wont.

That's not to say that I'm happy with MS and Windows, I'm not, and the biggest issue I have is ... Telemetry. Google and Facebook defined the free model paid for by spying and ads and now MS has jumped on board with few options for the average person to do anything about it. If you find some settings to cripple Telemetry MS just rolls out an update that resets things for them. Staying on top of that is a full time job and MS knows it.

But, as much as I dislike MS I find Adobe to be at another level of scummy. But again, as a photog I have little choice but to give Adobe my money and now that I'm more involved with video they are getting $50/month from me. The patchwork of programs that offer an alternative to PS is not usable in my view though many of the smaller applications do what they do better than the PS equivalent. Stitching panoramas using PS is pretty good though several alternatives are better. But, keeping track of that hodge-podge of programs and not being able to easily switch between them in a single session makes that option unacceptable.

Brian

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31