New update for Premiere Pro is insanely bad

I have yet to find a good replacement for Photoshop, unfortunately. Affinity Photo is sort of close but not there yet. DaVinci is a good editor but it isn't After Effects. Still and all, I'm going to try over the summer to get rid of Adobe.
Blackmagic have a program called davinci fusion. Again unbelievably it's free (although there is a paid version)
The learning curve is steep but it's been used in lots of feature films. This is a replacement for after effects.
I'm in the process of trying to learn it.

Reactions: ravedog
I pinged Channing Lowe (chinfat) about the problem and the inability to roll back PP and at first he was stumped but later replied with what looks to be the way to roll back. It's too late to start this tonight, but if you bring up the Adobe Creative Cloud app and go down to Premiere Pro there's a drop down arrow next to the "Open" box and if you select the drop down it has an option called "Other Versions". When you click on that it lists 12.0.1, 12.0.0, 11.1.4, 7.0 and 6.0. So, I'll give this a shot tomorrow and see what happens -- I'll update with the results.

In case you don't know, Channing Lowe has been doing tutorials for PP, AfterEffects and Resolve for several years and is the person I've learned most of what I know.

chinfat

Brian

OK, I uninstalled PP 12 (2018) and have just installed PP 2017 and all appears to be working again. So, I guess I'll give Adobe half a year to fix there mess before trying again and only after it appears the huge army of discontent users are no longer angry. When I find at least two bugs the very first day I use it that tells me Adobe did too little testing before pushing it out. It's like they completed the update, pushed it out with little or no testing, then count on there users to debug it for them...

Brian

Well, apparently this is no longer possible with PP. First, when I follow the guidance in your link I find that there is no "Find Additional Apps" option and without that there's no way using that method to find an older version to install. Second, on the Adobe forums they are all saying you can no longer roll back.

Brian
Oh, wow. That TOTALLY sucks. That was one of the last excuses some pros I knew talked about when they said they were staying with CC. In the big professional field, it seems like the Really Big players are using custom Linux based solutions, the intermediate players (advertising houses and the like) stay on CC and independents are wandering off.

I suppose Adobe doesn't care about the little guy (or girl) and knows they aren't going to break into Disney. Their stock has been riding upwards for a while (whatever that means).

But it sucks. Sorry to steer you wrong there.

Oh, wow. That TOTALLY sucks. That was one of the last excuses some pros I knew talked about when they said they were staying with CC. In the big professional field, it seems like the Really Big players are using custom Linux based solutions, the intermediate players (advertising houses and the like) stay on CC and independents are wandering off.

I suppose Adobe doesn't care about the little guy (or girl) and knows they aren't going to break into Disney. Their stock has been riding upwards for a while (whatever that means).

But it sucks. Sorry to steer you wrong there.

EDIT: I see you did fix it. Do you keep old versions on your hard drive? I think I have a decade of Photoshop versions on mine, which probably explains why the 2TB drive is getting full again....

EDIT: I see you did fix it. Do you keep old versions on your hard drive? I think I have a decade of Photoshop versions on mine, which probably explains why the 2TB drive is getting full again....

I only uninstalled PP 2018 and left the rest of the 2018 suite as is. When I installed PP 2017 it also installed the older Media Encoder as well.

So, I'm not sure how long I'm going to need to wait from Adobe to clean up there act, but if the past is a guide they should have 2018 about figured out when they roll out 2019. They really are a terrible company!

Brian

Your first problem is that you’re using a windows platform. If you want to edit with fewer issues, invest in an Apple. I’ve worked in broadcast television for 30 years on major tv shows and infomercials, and only ever experienced issues when the post house was low budget and used PC’s with windows platforms.

Your first problem is that you’re using a windows platform. If you want to edit with fewer issues, invest in an Apple. I’ve worked in broadcast television for 30 years on major tv shows and infomercials, and only ever experienced issues when the post house was low budget and used PC’s with windows platforms.
Funny thing is, when a few years ago we converted one of our Avid edit rooms to rather expensive Apple boxes we had a seemingly endless stream of trouble involving dismal interface and rendering performance as well as data transmission issues. It was the kind of thing that made me want to slap the living crap out of the "it just works" folks. After kicking them violently in their nether regions.

I've spent a few decades at a very small broadcasting company known as ABC. My production experience was preceded by many years in IT and as a consultant for multi-platform SMBs. I work on Windows, Mac, Linux, all kinds of embedded systems, etc. Notably, there's hardly a piece of broadcast equipment now that isn't a computer, based on one and/or managed by one, and you can find Intel -based micro-ATX boards in the most amazing places. But the truth is, it's been that way for a long time. Frames full of DEC PDP-11/70 boards used to handle effects when I first started getting my feet wet in tee vee, and some studio lighting was controlled by a DEC PDP-8.

Now to be fair about our Avid/Apple issues, Avid themselves said we were better off on Windows -based PCs and the conversion decision was made by an Apple fanboi involved in the production. When the vendor tells you what's best, it's often foolish to ignore the vendor.

We have a LOT of Windows boxes on the broadcast side of the facility, doing a whole lot more than editing, and they're generally very little trouble. Honestly I can come up with sob stories about any platform. More often than not, the actual problems wind up being software bugs that have little to do with the operating system. There has never been a shortage of such bugs, and there never will be. When I have to reboot a DigiCart, or a production switcher suddenly can't store customs, that ain't Windows' fault!

It's a good bet that "low budget" and other software and hardware choices had more to do with the issues you have experienced with the post houses than the operating systems in use there.

Very often, we wind up not getting rid of bugs entirely but making choices about which ones we can live with.

Reactions: WetDog
Funny thing is, when a few years ago we converted one of our Avid edit rooms to rather expensive Apple boxes we had a seemingly endless stream of trouble involving dismal interface and rendering performance as well as data transmission issues. It was the kind of thing that made me want to slap the living crap out of the "it just works" folks. After kicking them violently in their nether regions.

I've spent a few decades at a very small broadcasting company known as ABC. My production experience was preceded by many years in IT and as a consultant for multi-platform SMBs. I work on Windows, Mac, Linux, all kinds of embedded systems, etc. Notably, there's hardly a piece of broadcast equipment now that isn't a computer, based on one and/or managed by one, and you can find Intel -based micro-ATX boards in the most amazing places. But the truth is, it's been that way for a long time. Frames full of DEC PDP-11/70 boards used to handle effects when I first started getting my feet wet in tee vee, and some studio lighting was controlled by a DEC PDP-8.

Now to be fair about our Avid/Apple issues, Avid themselves said we were better off on Windows -based PCs and the conversion decision was made by an Apple fanboi involved in the production. When the vendor tells you what's best, it's often foolish to ignore the vendor.

We have a LOT of Windows boxes on the broadcast side of the facility, doing a whole lot more than editing, and they're generally very little trouble. Honestly I can come up with sob stories about any platform. More often than not, the actual problems wind up being software bugs that have little to do with the operating system. There has never been a shortage of such bugs, and there never will be. When I have to reboot a DigiCart, or a production switcher suddenly can't store customs, that ain't Windows' fault!

It's a good bet that "low budget" and other software and hardware choices had more to do with the issues you have experienced with the post houses than the operating systems in use there.

Very often, we wind up not getting rid of bugs entirely but making choices about which ones we can live with.

I’ve worked mainly with AVID since the mid 90’s, on little shows like Judge Judy, Judge Joe, madTV, and countless infomercials. I’ve used AVID Media Composer, & Premiere Pro on both Apple & Windows platforms, and only experienced regular issues with Windows, not that there would be occasional issues with Apple, but by far it was Windows that was problematic.

I’m curious to see how many of individuals who are experiencing problems have been importing & editing their footage at maximum resolution, rather than editing offline.
Just sayin ....

not that there would be occasional issues with Apple, but by far it was Windows that was problematic.
Details?? I'm all ears...

I’m curious to see how many of individuals who are experiencing problems have been importing & editing their footage at maximum resolution, rather than editing offline. Just sayin ....
Yeah, it does seem that a lot of folks here don't know about the use of proxies.

Software updates still ain't supposed to break stuff that works.

Though it does, all the time.

Don't get me started about our EVS stuff...

Last edited:
Working well for me.. But I’m using a MacBook Pro laptop.

I’ll also state this after being in the IT world for over 25yrs. It isn’t always the platform itself... It’s the CODING for the platform that is often the problem. Just because the application looks the same on multiple platforms, doesn’t mean it’s programmed the same way. For instance, I often found MS Excel ran INFINITELY faster on Windows platform than OSX. Anyway, just a simple example. Don’t always assume it’s the OS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bad Andy
Working well for me.. But I’m using a MacBook Pro laptop.

I’ll also state this after being in the IT world for over 25yrs. It isn’t always the platform itself... It’s the CODING for the platform that is often the problem. Just because the application looks the same on multiple platforms, doesn’t mean it’s programmed the same way. For instance, I often found MS Excel ran INFINITELY faster on Windows platform than OSX. Anyway, just a simple example. Don’t always assume it’s the OS.
Or, the coding is substantially the same but the differences come from the platform -specific library or API code.

The fun part is when programmers find a library or API problem and code around it, but then the libraries change or worse yet, the API gets fixed and causes the workaround to become a bug.

Last edited:
Reactions: AndrewCCM
I built an editing workstation precisely for doing 4K editing. The PC consists of an Intel i7-5820K 6-core CPU that's slightly over-clocked, an nVidia 980TI that's slightly over-clocked and both are water cooled, the box has four 200mm and five 120mm fans for cooling. I have 32GB of DDR4 RAM and my main drive is a 512GB PCIe SSD that's 4X the speed of the best SATA SSD's. My original video files are stored on a couple WD Black 6TB HD's that average about 185MB/sec. My PC isn't the problem! I wasn't having this problem before the latest update and I've edited many 4K videos with it.

As I have always done and I mean for a couple years I maintain the original files just as they came from the drone/camera. I do all the editing within PP.

Brian

Try editing offline.

Also Brian, you never said what kind of computer you were using. My crystal ball is in the shop having a crack fix so I had no way to see what kind of computer you were using ether. When someone speaks of the symtoms you described it's not unusual to assume that maybe your computer was underpowered for the job.

I will say that I don't think Adobe is worth $50.00 a month, but that's just my opinion. I've seen people do amazing work with free opensource software like Blender and so on.

Personaly if I built a computer with that kind of power, and was video editing; I would be running Linux, and NOT windows.

With that setup he should invest in AVID Media composer. Million times better than anything Adobe puts out, hence the majority of tv shows and major motion pictures being cut with AVID.

Well this thread has gone on without me for a while so I guess I should follow up...

Since rolling back to PP 2017 I've had no further issues therefore I can comfortably say the problems I had were due to the update -- no other explanations makes sense.

As to my workflow ... I do indeed work with full resolution files and those files are mostly H.265 which puts about the maximum demand on the PC. I've done it this way for a couple years without much problem. While playing through within PP the video plays just fine at full resolution, however, when the clip ends and a new one starts there can be some stuttering particularly if I have effects in place. Generally, I cut the video first and do so without effects or transitions. I then color correct and add transitions. Finally, I add or edit audio to complete the edit process before render.

Yes, working with proxies would no doubt reduce the workload on the PC but so far I'm happy with the workflow I have.

Lastly, we have a number of pros here with experience in broadcast production, but how many of them worked with 4K? Hell, until the early/mid 2000's HD wasn't common. I have no intention of changing my NLE for someone else's ides of whats better particularly since even the pros disagree -- it takes time to learn how to use a program and although the process is about the same the method to do things can be entirely different.

One thing that might get me to change is if I get the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4K camera as it comes with DaVinci Resolve Studio as part of the $1300 camera package. If I get the camera I'll get Resolve Studio so I would be foolish to not give it a look.

Brian

Reactions: AndrewCCM
With that setup he should invest in AVID Media composer. Million times better than anything Adobe puts out, hence the majority of tv shows and major motion pictures being cut with AVID.
Hey, what happened to FCPX? Yeah, I know...

Majority Avid? I don't know. Could be.

Adobe still has substantial market share and it does have its pluses. It's very nice for example to flip over to PS or AI to touch up a still or title or whatever, hit [save], and see the update immediately on the timeline when flipping back to PP. Then to wander into AA, touch up the sound, flip back to the PP timeline and enjoy the changes immediately, etc.

For software stability, some of us don't know how good we have it. I remember Premiere 4.0 and 5.0, 1394 cards with built-in realtime effects chips, etc. I can't remember the number of times I and my peers lost entire project files before we got smart. And that was long before the incredible plethora of codecs, filters, etc. that we have complicating the software environment now.

Since rolling back to PP 2017 I've had no further issues therefore I can comfortably say the problems I had were due to the update -- no other explanations makes sense.
Yay. Nice to know that with CC you can downgrade fairly easily. That was news to me.

Does that $50/month come with support? Did you ever call them to try and figure out what was causing the NLE software to hang?

AVID has long been the industry standard in Hollywood for major motion pictures and tv, and will probably always be the #1 choice among industry professionals. (Not referring to YouTubers who think they’re pro’s, I’m talking specifically about TV & film studios).

Most smaller post houses that used FCP7 switched over to Premiere Pro rather than use FCPX, because it’s crap. Every major tv series I worked on used AVID on an Apple platform, and most post houses I worked at had equal numbers of bays (at least four each) with AVID & FCP7, until FCPX came out, and they kept AVID but switched the FCP bays to Adobe Premiere Pro for the smaller productions.

Beachbody uses AVID for their infomercials (P90-X, etc), as does one of the largest infomercial production companies in the world, Euro RSCG Edge (AAA, Hair Club, Nutribullet, CarMD, etc).

Last edited:
AVID has long been the industry standard in Hollywood for major motion pictures and tv, and will probably always be the #1 choice among industry professionals. (Not referring to YouTubers who think they’re pro’s, I’m talking specifically about TV & film studios).

Most smaller post houses that used FCP7 switched over to Premiere Pro rather than use FCPX, because it’s crap. Every major tv series I worked on used AVID on an Apple platform, and most post houses I worked at had equal numbers of bays (at least four each) with AVID & FCP7, until FCPX came out, and they kept AVID but switched the FCP bays to Adobe Premiere Pro for the smaller productions.

Beachbody uses AVID for their infomercials (P90-X, etc), as does one of the largest infomercial production companies in the world, Euro RSCG Edge (AAA, Hair Club, Nutribullet, CarMD, etc).

I did not see H.265 HEVC supported by any version of AVID -- did I miss something?

Brian

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4