New stress crack location

I just got the phantom 3, reading about all these stress cracks, makes me want to put the phantom away... what is the best thing to do to avoid these cracks?

Exactly. My Phantom 3 looks the same. Its the way they are assembled, those aren't cracks. Look inside the battery compartment on the sides and you can see where this piece snaps into the Phantom. This is part of the design.
How could you say that's not a stress crack? It's clear as day.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1443562929.235509.jpg

Reactions: Kenneth Gundersen
From the random nature of who gets cracks and who doesn't, I believe there is a wide variation in the quality of the plastic or the manufacturing process. This may be from DJI outsourcing for the production of their shells and getting poor quality from some of its suppliers. If all the shells are made in house, then DJI has a quality control problem.

How could you say that's not a stress crack? It's clear as day.View attachment 32307
Precisely! I NEVER handle my Phantom from the arms or the landing gear. I'll ONLY hand catch in an emergency. That crack as you pointed out is obviously from some stress due to mishandling on the arms or other. I handle mine from the top center of gravity, ONLY. Never from any of the arms. Learned my lesson with my P1 and fc40.

Precisely! I NEVER handle my Phantom from the arms or the landing gear. I'll ONLY hand catch in an emergency. That crack as you pointed out is obviously from some stress due to mishandling on the arms or other. I handle mine from the top center of gravity, ONLY. Never from any of the arms. Learned my lesson with my P1 and fc40.
I hand catch mine always. I don't think its from hand catching. I am trying to get mine to crack, in a month or so when its -10 out im going to send mine in to DJI. I would rather have it crack now then when I get it back.

I hand catch mine always. I don't think its from hand catching. I am trying to get mine to crack, in a month or so when its -10 out im going to send mine in to DJI. I would rather have it crack now then when I get it back.
Let's hope DJI doesn't see your comment! They just might tell you to stick your crack back up where it came from. LOL!:D

What if you never get any cracks?

Most don't.

Will you tell us it's for the reasons mentioned above?

How will you know?

You should enjoy your toy here and now.

No guarantees for [a] tomorrow.

Let's hope DJI doesn't see your comment! They just might tell you to stick your crack back up where it came from. LOL!:D

I hope they do! If it's going to crack it going to crack! I want to catch it before I gets out of hand. If I lose a motor and damage something or worse kill someone, things would get ugly. I don't do anything different flying. I'm right at the flight mark where most have it happen. We will see over the next few weeks. I can already see minor discoloration that looks like a forming stress crack.

The plastic dji is using on the p3 model doesn't seem to have the strength it needs its way to soft and I can only see these models lasting a couple of years with moderate usage. Very disappointing given the price point.
[emoji106] Dji can't keep running away from this. All this needs is to be covered on Tv somehow. There must be enough people affected by now.

I believe I'm at 323 flights,I would say 315 are hand catching. No cracks yet. I'm always looking for it but ,knock wood nothing yet.
Just out of curiosity for the guys that are getting cracks,do you clean the P3 with anything?
I saw a thread where a guy said to use windex or something like it to clean it. So I wondered if that had anything to do with the cracks? Just a thought:confused:

I thought I'd read that the latest P3s had an uprated /strengthened shell or was I just dreaming?

Even if they had, it do not help all the others with weak shells [emoji35] DJI should stand up and do something for all with problems.

Have you call support and asked if they will fix it? Just asking. I called today and they wanted me to send it in. They didn't say weather or not they would free of charge but I think they would. They are held responsible for any damages or injuries if the unit is defective.

The original post is strange as the crack runs over the parting line which means the dress crack rant across two separate moldings. To me that says some kind of impact rather than creep. I better get on and design this new case molding.....loads of customers!

Reactions: Fourprops
DJI used pretty much the same basic design in 3 generations of product but each time they've upped the power. Now with active breaking, the stress on the frame is much higher....
+1
I believe the P3 active braking is a key factor. It is so easy to repeatedly observe the P3 violently jerk back to stop it's forward movement. Yes, you can adjust the P3 braking but even at it's lowest setting it's still easy to see its violent attitude changes. These sharp attitude changes come from sudden, high motor torque which has to cause huge, repeated stress on the arms and motor mounts.
Just my observation.
YMMV

The original post is strange as the crack runs over the parting line which means the dress crack rant across two separate moldings. To me that says some kind of impact rather than creep. I better get on and design this new case molding.....loads of customers!
Can't wait to see an after market lower frame.

Reactions: Fourprops

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik