New shell dilemma

Reaction score
Hi, i am a P3A owner that is suffering the dreaded crack of death... I am studying my options at the moment and would like your feedback. Went ahead and bought the UAV bits strong arm kit and some super glue as well to repair the cracks but i worry this might just be like putting on a bandaid instead of fixing the current issue. So these are my options.

-Install the kit and repair the cracks with super glue. The cracks are small at the moment. (may or may not be a permanent solution)
-Buy a new updated shell and have my local hobby store replace it for me (do i need to replace motors as well if i go with this option? do i void the warranty?)
-Send it to DJI and hope for the best. Support seems to be getting better and faster but we still hear a lot of horror stories in this sub.

Also, does anyone have a link where i can purchase the new updated shell with the reinforcements?

Thanks!

Since DJI seems to be churning out repairs much faster, I'd send it in if I was you. If you have cold winters wherever you're located, then you probably won't be flying to much in a few months. Maybe send it in then.

Reactions: J0ck0
Since DJI seems to be churning out repairs much faster, I'd send it in if I was you. If you have cold winters wherever you're located, then you probably won't be flying to much in a few months. Maybe send it in then.
i completely agree. i called DJI, had a shipping label in my hands in a couple hours, shipped my P3A, and had it back repaired in 10 days. great customer service and NO CHARGE.

I just completed a new shell repair. It is simple. No need to have a hobby shop do it. If it is still under warranty and the damage was not your fault, then send it back to DJI. Replacing the shell will void the warranty. All the parts came out easily. You do not have to replace motors unless they are damaged. I pulled out the main board with motors and LEDs still attached. It's one of those things where you have to put it back together in the same order you took it apart. Popping the upper shell off is the most difficult part.

Reactions: dysan911
I replaced my shell - it started showing signs of cracks after just about 5 flights. I ordered a new shell from Amazon (came from Rotorlogic) and was $59. I then followed the six part video starting here:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Worked on it (following video) from 11pm to 4am and it is like new now. I worked slow. Glad I did it, the case I got through Amazon was the new case (stronger). No problems since.

Reactions: bracKopter
I did the shell exchange myself, but that was also way before DJI appeared to be getting better at support turn-around times.

I also had tried a combination of bondic/glue before the cracks got really bad, so wasn't sure what they'd say if I had sent it in.

Personally, I like taking things apart, and to take a close look at all the P3 components was a treat.
And I know it's put back together correctly and not over-torqued, as I'm the one who did it. ;-)

Took about ~4 hours beginning to end, but if I had to do it again, probably would take half of that.

In fact, I may have the opportunity next spring unless this newly updated shell is actually any better than the old one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers