New? Shell Differences

So it seems there are 4 versions of the Phantom 3? I have version 2

Version 1: old motors and 1st gen shell Version 2: old motors and 2nd Gen shell
Version 3: old motors and 3rd Gen

version 4: new motors with 3rd Gen shell

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

How can you tell which shell you have? I know I have the old motors but would like to see which she'll I have.

Thanks

I asked the same question on the P3S page. No one had any issues.
P3S shells have the 'pointy tabs' but no X reinforcements.

So there could be 4 different shells.
- flat motor tabs, no X reinforcement (Adv and Pro)
- flat motor tabs, low profile X reinforcement (Adv and Pro)
- pointy motor tabs, stiffen X reinforcement (Adv and Pro)
- pointy motor tabs, no X reinforcement (Standard - no one has proof that a Standard shell is transferable to the Pro/Adv).

Wrong.

My P3 standard has the X reinforcements and the out of circle reinforced plastic. I shined a bright white light through each arm and noticed it has the X in between the motor screws. Here is a picture (I hope you can see. I have added blue arrows in paint to show the X pattern.

Attachments

• standard.jpg
    standard.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 721
Last edited:
Don't be too concerned.. The P3 Standard has the "pointy tabs" and NO X brace. The P3 Standard users haven't reported any shell cracks (yet). Mind you, the P3 Standard was released a few months later and there are probably less pilots than the Adv/Pros.

See my previous post with a picture, the Standard (or at least mine) shows the X pattern under the motors and extra ribbing on the edges of the plastic.

Not forgetting the new motors too.

See my previous post with a picture, the Standard (or at least mine) shows the X pattern under the motors and extra ribbing on the edges of the plastic.

Not forgetting the new motors too.

Yeah. No one knows how many variants there are.
I discovered a new one.
DJI sent me this for a replacement shell. They claim its from the newer batch.
It has the notched tabs. It has the additional bracing to the edge but no X in the middle.

Motor%20Mounts%20New%20Tabs%20no%20X%20brace.jpg

Yeah. No one knows how many variants there are.
I discovered a new one.
DJI sent me this for a replacement shell. They claim its from the newer batch.
It has the notched tabs. It has the additional bracing to the edge but no X in the middle.

Motor%20Mounts%20New%20Tabs%20no%20X%20brace.jpg
From what I have read, I think the X' and extra ribbing on the outer edges is the latest shell. I don't know if mine has the notched tabs, but it must have. Mine has the new motor design (flat top) as it is the standard.

Has anyone actually asked DJI about this and got a PROPER answer as to why they changed the shells?

was it because of motor mount / and or arm stress cracks they changed? - did they rectify the problem by adding the notches along with the X' and extra ribs at a later date?

surely someone must know..

I get the feeling DJI don't want to admit or give details. I think all of us (the customers) should have the right to know

Hi,

I have the new motors, and I can see I have the extra bracing. I dont know about the X.

The thing is that my vent holes are little and I received the Lexar memory card instead of Panasonic. Unit bought yesterday from a DJI dealer.

What did I buy? lol

In my opinion, the best design would be flat motor base sitting on a flat plate. X and notches help just a little. Cutting through the hole needs excessive force compared to bending force needed to break mounting studs. DJI please look into my suggestion.

Most helpful....thanks

On edit.....Curious about how long is this to change out to the newer version ?

Last edited:
In my opinion, the best design would be flat motor base sitting on a flat plate. X and notches help just a little. Cutting through the hole needs excessive force compared to bending force needed to break mounting studs. DJI please look into my suggestion.
Hence I applied the plast aid solution that has been discussed here a few times. Now my motor mounts are flat and flush against the motor and I have all the extra re enforcement in the motor mount area around all the screws.
So far so good. I really think this might be the end of cracks, not that I had any to begin with. I really can't see the arm area cracking now because the motor mount area is almost half a cm think plate of hardened plast aid bonded to shell

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1461427682.429752.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1461427696.180420.jpg

Hence I applied the plast aid solution that has been discussed here a few times. Now my motor mounts are flat and flush against the motor and I have all the extra re enforcement in the motor mount area around all the screws.
So far so good. I really think this might be the end of cracks, not that I had any to begin with. I really can't see the arm area cracking now because the motor mount area is almost half a cm think plate of hardened plast aid bonded to shell

View attachment 51540View attachment 51541
This is definitely a step forward which DJI should have done it themselves. Still missing thing is that motors bases are not flat, you can't do much there.

Has this increased weight substantially?

Speaking of weight did you worry about equal amounts at each end....or does it matter?

Speaking of weight did you worry about equal amounts at each end....or does it matter?
Little weight difference doesn't matter as P3 will take care of it, what matters is the total additional weight, but I am sure its much less than the weight of prop guards so it may not matter at all. People use strong arm plates too and are very successful in flying.

This is definitely a step forward which DJI should have done it themselves. Still missing thing is that motors bases are not flat, you can't do much there.

Has this increased weight substantially?

The entire bottle of plastid powder is 112gms. I have not even used a quarter of that to do all four arms. So additional weight is negligible.
Infact now, my motor mounts are almost flat with the motors with almost no gap between the motor and the plastid base.so I think my motors are sitting very flush on a solid base.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20