New Phantom X concept from DJI

Reaction score
Just saw this on DJI's Twitter feed ... interesting concepts being shown. First thing that came to my mind however was "how do you land that thing"? Retractable landing gear?

Reactions: Smyre and bodine
That reminds me of this one:

Reactions: The English Guy
"Technology that you don't have to read a manual to find out what it's about." LOL!!

Just like so many other things, it seems we have to "dumb it down" to reach the masses who just want to push the green button to go and the red button to stop. But that time is already here, so I should just accept it I guess.

"Technology that you don't have to read a manual to find out what it's about." LOL!!

Just like so many other things, it seems we have to "dumb it down" to reach the masses who just want to push the green button to go and the red button to stop. But that time is already here, so I should just accept it I guess.

That's a very hard pill to swallow especially looking back on this hobby/industry just a few years ago. The "ease" of ownership has brought this fun and excitement to the masses but that's also the pending downfall of the whole industry in and of itself.

And doesn't need props?!? :D

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-03 at 11.09.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-03 at 11.09.51 PM.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 839
It seems a true depiction of the future...and DJI will be the leaders of this industry
Because they are the biggest and probably the best drone maker on the market.

Can anyone tell me if this is just a concept or is it already being developed and tested by dji. like do they already have a prototype?

Reactions: Justin Namon
My guess it's close to, or already in production, but an announcement might negatively impact sales of Phantom 3's.

My guess it's close to, or already in production, but an announcement might negatively impact sales of Phantom 3's.
It looks to be aimed at a different market segment and competing with the Lily drone that may be coming out early next year.
Just another niche for DJI to market to.
From a DJI "social" media rep when I dared comment on this video in another forum:
I think Blade may have a point. Good to see they still allow you on there though.
DJI has just released the X5 camera and the X5R is about to be released.
DJI are also working on a big range of other products.
The future of possible goes way beyond the Phantom X.

It looks to be aimed at a different market segment and competing with the Lily drone that may be coming out early next year.
Just another niche for DJI to market to.

I think Blade may have a point. Good to see they still allow you on there though.
DJI has just released the X5 camera and the X5R is about to be released.
DJI are also working on a big range of other products.
The future of possible goes way beyond the Phantom X.

Glad you like the Kool-Aid, but it's not my thing. The misguided resource allocation at DJI to things like Director and Facebook posting in the GO app, the promises of features and HW long delayed and under delivered and the disappointing service and support and continued arrogance of some of DJI's staff are really disappointing.

And if you are fawning over the X5 you haven't seen its video on a large format 4K display. The X5R holds promise I will grant but when and at what price. The OSMO still doesn't work with the Inspire X3 camera, 11 months after its announcement.

Here's X5 footage in action on an 70-inch 4K display:

Last edited:
Wait so just so we're clear, that video was done with CGI right? It's not an actual prototype?

Glad you like the Kool-Aid, but it's not my thing. The misguided resource allocation at DJI to things like Director and Facebook posting in the GO app
None of that is my kind of thing either but it's a big world out there with lots of different market segments.
I'm just happy that the sector I'm interested in is another one that DJI do a very good job at and I'm looking forward to their clever R&D guys coming up with more that might be up my alley.

Can anyone tell me if this is just a concept or is it already being developed and tested by dji. like do they already have a prototype?

I think it's just a concept. I'm sure they're working on developing the features that you see in the video, but I don't think we're going to see a drone with all those features for at least a little while. Especially reliable and idiot-proof obstacle avoidance.

For me object avoidance is something the next Phantom might have, it would help not so good pilots navigate around obstacles, power lines etc.

For me object avoidance is something the next Phantom might have, it would help not so good pilots navigate around obstacles, power lines etc.
Even good pilots would be happy to have Detect and Avoid features. Just for peace of mind. At least,I would love it!

Reactions: nickyb

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl