New Phantom arrived yesterday....headed back to DJI today..never flown

Reaction score
Phantom 1.1.1

DJI WIN Driver Installer - supports Windows XP or above (32bit/64bit). - 2013-01-18

Naza-M Assistant Software v2.20 - (32bit/64bit). - 2013-10-25

Everything was looking good....GPS lock, Green lights.....
But then it refused to connect to the PC for IMU calibration.
Tried everything I could think of.

Strange thing is this.........

The PC definitely senses it is connected because it goes to the dim, solid green light on the cyclops light upfront AND.... in the Control panel under Device Manager, the entry drops out and reappears as I unplug and plug the Phantom back into the PC USB port. So there's definitely a USB connection.

But, the Assistant never shows any data. Just Zeroes.

Oddly, instead of showing up under USB Serial Bus Controllers, instead it shows up under PORTS as a USB Virtual port (wtf?) In the photo I have disabled the port. (See image below)

So I'm faced with the 6 - 8 week back to DJI dance and was wondering before I ship it off if anyone might throw some info my way to help with this issue. After a LOT of reading online, I'm guessing I have a bad NAZA v2 or the connector is not making good contact. I definitely will try a new USB cable before returning it but the fact that the PC and the Phantom are both responding to being plugged into USB (even though the assistant will not connect and the device manager shows it as a virtual port rather than a USB controller), seems to indicate the USB cable is ok.

DJI was nice about it and is providing a return shipping label. It has to go through diagnostics.

Phantom_USB_Problem_zpskrlpayah.jpg

If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears....

Oddly, instead of showing up under USB Serial Bus Controllers, instead it shows up under PORTS as a USB Virtual port (wtf?) In the photo I have disabled the port. (See image below)
If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears....
This is normal. A USB PORT will appear as a COM port in windows. A USB DEVICE shows up under the USB Controllers list.

This is normal. A USB PORT will appear as a COM port in windows. A USB DEVICE shows up under the USB Controllers list.

If you would be so kind as to check your Devices list and confirm that your DJI connection appears under ports rather than devices and let me know I would appreciate it.

If you would be so kind as to check your Devices list and confirm that your DJI connection appears under ports rather than devices and let me know I would appreciate it.
My laptop and Phantom are not convenient right now, but I don't need to. The Phantom communicates over a serial port. COM ports are serial ports. (The S in USB is "Serial"). The Phantom is not a device, like your memory stick; the Phantom communicates over the Universal Serial Bus through a COM port.

Re-enable the com port and check the port speed as Saylor suggested. You may have to reboot the PC to get the COM port reconnected.

Ok, well this is actually good news....in a way. It means the Phantom is connecting, just not communicating. It could also mean the NAZA has a problem I suppose. Not exactly sure of the communication path from the cable to the NAZA works. Maybe there's an interface in between it and another circuit board etc? I'll be experimenting with different settings over the next few days. Sending it back will be the last resort after all else fails. I'm told by DJI that I can expect 6 weeks if I send it now.

OH the pain!. ... but wait....I STILL have my trusty Syma X5C-1 to tide me through the storm!

very interested in hearing how this goes. you can change the baud rate and try to connect, change the baud rate, try to connect.. you wont hurt anything with that. all you are doing is telling the connection how fast to talk. the other settings, 8 N 1, is common - don't change those, unless you find documentation saying what those settings should be. 8 bits, no parity bit, 1 stop bit. most stuff uses that convention.

Thanks everyone for your help.

I was able to finally get a connection to the Assistant today..... WOOT!

It still won't connect to MY computer but it does with another so there you go.

Perseverance pays off. Hopefully it will continue connecting and this one time was not a fluke.

BTW...if it turns out to have just been a computer issue, I have to apologize to DJI for jumping to the conclusion that it was the Phantom.

IF...it continues to connect.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.