New Phantom 5 Image Processor?

Reaction score
So we know the current Phantom 4 Pro image processor uses the Ambarella H1-A1-RH. Dji has said this week that the Mavic Air now uses this same image processor. It's also very reasonable to expect that the Mavic Pro-II will also get this ISP and well as our beloved P4P 1inch-type Sony sensor!

So, I was thinking about where DJI could take the Phantom 5. I strongly suspect that DJI will move the Phantom 5 closer to the Inspire-II and give it full 10bit color with an upgraded image processor. (possibly 150mbp/s+ HEVC for 4:2:2 sampled 10bit color)

This would be the the justification needed to keep the Phantom 5 series moving forward and above the new Mavic Pro-II. So, I went to Ambarella's web site and looked up their latest image processor (ISP) and found this:

The Ambarella H2 processor now on the market that will do:

Image Processing
° 3D motion-compensated noise reduction (MCTF)
° Adjustable AE / AWB / AF
° Lens Distortion Correction (LDC) for wide-angle-lens
° Defect pixel correction
° Geometric and chroma lens distortion correction
° Backlight compensation
° Electronic Image Stabilization and tilt correction up to 4Kp60
° Crop, mirror, flip, 90 ° / 270 ° rotation
Video Encoding
° H.265 / HEVC MP Level 5.1 encoding up to 4K, 60p in 10 bit color
° H.264 MP / HP Level 5.2 encoding up to 4K, 120p
° Simultaneous streams
° Multiple CBR and VBR rate control modes

There are no mention of actual bit rates that it can do but this "COULD" be what DJI is looking at for the next Phantom 5.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
So we know the current Phantom 4 Pro image processor uses the Ambarella H1-A1-RH. Dji has said this week that the Mavic Air now uses this same image processor. It's also very reasonable to expect that the Mavic Pro-II will also get this ISP and well as our beloved P4P 1inch-type Sony sensor!

So, I was thinking about where DJI could take the Phantom 5. I strongly suspect that DJI will move the Phantom 5 closer to the Inspire-II and give it full 10bit color with an upgraded image processor. (possibly 150mbp/s+ HEVC for 4:2:2 sampled 10bit color)

This would be the the justification needed to keep the Phantom 5 series moving forward and above the new Mavic Pro-II. So, I went to Ambarella's web site and looked up their latest image processor (ISP) and found this:

The Ambarella H2 processor now on the market that will do:

Image Processing
° 3D motion-compensated noise reduction (MCTF)
° Adjustable AE / AWB / AF
° Lens Distortion Correction (LDC) for wide-angle-lens
° Defect pixel correction
° Geometric and chroma lens distortion correction
° Backlight compensation
° Electronic Image Stabilization and tilt correction up to 4Kp60
° Crop, mirror, flip, 90 ° / 270 ° rotation
Video Encoding
° H.265 / HEVC MP Level 5.1 encoding up to 4K, 60p in 10 bit color
° H.264 MP / HP Level 5.2 encoding up to 4K, 120p
° Simultaneous streams
° Multiple CBR and VBR rate control modes

There are no mention of actual bit rates that it can do but this "COULD" be what DJI is looking at for the next Phantom 5.

Your thoughts?
I hope your speculation is true.

This I want:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

With 10 bit we could finally use dlog, and if they at the same time can reduce the noise floor of the sensor and improve the optics, we are getting somewhere fast.

Reactions: Ripper7620
Next camera will go to H2 (or H22) Ambarella chip, these are amazingly powerful. But now DJI could afford a custom project callaborating with a new chip manufacter to go a little ahead with specifications from their long experience in flying cameras. Probably in few years we will not need a gimble at all.
I have a new Gopro 6 for example, where finally the gopro guys decided to collaborate with Socionext (chip is called GP1) leaving the ambarella world (they are not very friendly with customers) and the result is amazing from 4K to 2.7K to HD, including a hardware stabilizer for most of the resolutions and fps.

I believe that with the new Phantom5, DJI is creating. "New" market point between the current P4P and Inspire-II.

There is a large gap in between these two markets. I believe that with the Mavic Pro-II getting P4P's camera and complete imaging system, it is purposefully "intended" to take most P4P's customers.

Here is my thinking....

Mavic Air takes allot of curent Mavic Pro market.

Mavic Pro-II takes over most of P4P's market.

P5 creates "new" market with high bitrate 10bit and Sony's Exmor RS 1inch-type sensor high frame rate ability. These are functions that SMOKE the current P4P and the new Mavic Pro-II will not be able to touch...while giving the Inspire-III plenty if breathing room with its new MFT camera (Sony IMX272) and new super 35 camera.

Here is the thing....we all get a big "sticker shock" when we see how much the Mavic Pro-II costs and the Phatntom 5 also! DJI is going to shove each of these price points UP one level.

This will be the only way to justify the performance per dollar cost pressure that the Mavic Pro-II is about to put on the market.

If the P5 is not elevated in a significantly higher performance catagory, (i.e. "baby" Inspire-II) than the Mavic Pro-II will render the P5 completely useless.

Last edited:
I agree totally with you @Cliff-622 and costs for P5 will show a sudden rise and specifically it must be repositioned near Inspire. I will not be surpised for a price around $2.000 for the bare new bird. Will see....

@Cliff-622 Excellent analysis !
Agreed.

I am really looking forward to see new products coming. I won't jump to other products if there are no better video/photo capabilities.

Let's wait and see !

My issues with the camera is primarily with video image quality, even apparent in the beautiful video example above. There's a fair amount of pixel animation (for lack of a better term) with pixels shifting around when the drone is moving, particularly when close up. A bit like moire. I'm guessing this is in part due to the sharpening (even with sharpness set lower). I've also witnessed a blurry image quality at times that seems due to compression and the processor trying to keep up. Another issue is with digital artifacting in black areas that get jpegg'y blocking and turn a deep red color. It doesn't take color grading particularly well. That said, I'm not shooting for feature films and when the light quality is good, the image quality is quite acceptable. 4k makes a huge difference.

Reactions: ravedog
There's a fair amount of pixel animation (for lack of a better term) with pixels shifting around when the drone is moving, particularly when close up. A bit like moire.
Remember that YouTube compresses our videos even more after we upload, which leads to more degradation. There are videos that look fine on my 4K monitor at home when viewing my edited H.264 video, but when uploaded and viewed on YT I see degradation like you mention from time to time, after YouTube has it fully processed hours later.

I’m thinking if their is going to be a Phantom 5 it will be some resemblance to an Insipre. An Inspire mini. Just a hunch.

H.265 / HEVC MP Level 5.1 encoding up to 4K, 60p in 10 bit color

Judging by the recently leaked pictures, I suspect the P5 will use the same sensor as the P4P (Sony IMX183). It would make perfect sense that they will upgrade the processor to enable 10 bit colour to compliment the more professional imaging capabilities.

Theses specs would make for an enticing launch:
  • Interchangeable lens system
  • 10 bit colour
  • Weatherproof

Reactions: Ripper7620
For DJI not to be in direct competition with itself, the Phantom 5 would have to have specs in between the P4P and the Inspire 2, and the price tag to match. I want an Obsidian, but even if I have to wait until Nov or Dec, I'll wait for the Phantom 5.

Current indications are that the Mavic 2 will have a larger sensor (1/1.7") but it won't get a 1" sensor.
It makes sense. The mavic 2 should not step in Phantom playground. And should be "better" than Mavic 1 and other Mavic Air.

But then, I am just wondering if such a small change (from 1/2.3" to 1/1.7") will really change something in terms of IQ.

But then, I am just wondering if such a small change (from 1/2.3" to 1/1.7") will really change something in terms of IQ.
The sensor size chosen is probably mostly due to the difficulty in getting the Mavic to carry a larger camera and a gimbal to support it.

This shows the relative sizes of the camera sensors
i-XVbML6P-L.jpg

Reactions: ravedog and Loz

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic