New Phantom 4 Backpack

My Micro Center had a few DJI items, but no backpack, and no crazy good deals.

I am looking at something like this

Link: 2016 Backpack Bag Case for DJI Phantom 4 Shoulder Outside Storage Waterproof BK

you can store your whole original case in it.

backpack.JPG

backpack 2.JPG

Reactions: Jussaguy
I think i might give one of these a crack myself. Good and cheap. Handy for when i jump on the bike and dont have to switch between a backpack storage case and the ogiginal.

I think i might give one of these a crack myself. Good and cheap. Handy for when i jump on the bike and dont have to switch between a backpack storage case and the ogiginal.
Agreed, I think it's a good compromise and at a decent price too.

I got the DJI backpack and I am not 100% happy... I am convinced that the older hard shell (P3) was definitely better (and lighter). What I particularly dislike is the drone positioning with the back of your backpack hitting against the engines. After seeing a review on YouTube I ended up doing what this guy did and I find it much safer (in any case engine caps are necessary when using this backpack imho)
2118e16cdce508f0bcd522792e271c03.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: QuadBart
I got the DJI backpack and I am not 100% happy... I am convinced that the older hard shell (P3) was definitely better (and lighter). What I particularly dislike is the drone positioning with the back of your backpack hitting against the engines. After seeing a review on YouTube I ended up doing what this guy did and I find it much safer (in any case engine caps are necessary when using this backpack imho)

Have you got the link to the youtube video your talking about?

The problem with this method is that your MOTORS are definitely hitting something now.

The problem with this method is that your MOTORS are definitely hitting something now.

As I said in my previous post ... I never used the bag without (hard plastic) engine caps so my drone engines are not hitting anything....secondly the bag opens from the back and not from the front, it means that when the phantom is resting in the inverted position you have the hard shell protection on that side, hence it doesn't get any bump like when it's sitting "normally" and your back hits constantly against the backpack on your walk.
Otherwise the advantage is that it really looks nice... You don't look like a ( Inappropriate Comment Removed ) with those square bags. But that's it, would I buy it again ? No. Would I buy the Manfrotto D1? No because is the same crappy system. Best would have been the P3 bag with inside the foam for the P4 or the lowe Pro (but this last one is quite big).

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow $30 can't beat that!!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Wow, read this entire thread, and didn't find what I'm looking for.

My biggest gripe with 90% of these backpacks is they don't have a foam lid. I really like the "clamshell" that holds everything in place. So that when hiking, mountain biking, etc., contents aren't bouncing around, shifting, rubbing against each other and heaven forbid you fall you don't damage your equipment since its "encased" in foam.

I like the Dronecrates but it doesn't have a lid. The DJI P4 specific unit doesn't offer enough protection to the motors and that net material rubbing the top of the P4 is going to scuff up that shiny finish. Putting the bird in upside-down in the DJI pack seems like it would offer more protection as the motors are now facing the hard part of the case and the netting isn't rubbing the "shiny" side...

And while the LowePro 450 looks good as the drone sits further down in the pack somewhat protecting the motors, the pack looks huge! Also the pricepoint, $250 USD, thats more than I'm comfortable spending on a backpack.

I had a P3 and the DJI HSC pack and that was perfect, went with me everywhere offering really good protection. Wish they still made that one...

So I'm still undecided on a backpack. Since its been sometime people have had the LowePro 450 or the DJI P4 specific pack, I'd like to hear opinions now that they've lived it with for sometime...

Wow, read this entire thread, and didn't find what I'm looking for.

My biggest gripe with 90% of these backpacks is they don't have a foam lid. I really like the "clamshell" that holds everything in place. So that when hiking, mountain biking, etc., contents aren't bouncing around, shifting, rubbing against each other and heaven forbid you fall you don't damage your equipment since its "encased" in foam.

I like the Dronecrates but it doesn't have a lid. The DJI P4 specific unit doesn't offer enough protection to the motors and that net material rubbing the top of the P4 is going to scuff up that shiny finish. Putting the bird in upside-down in the DJI pack seems like it would offer more protection as the motors are now facing the hard part of the case and the netting isn't rubbing the "shiny" side...

And while the LowePro 450 looks good as the drone sits further down in the pack somewhat protecting the motors, the pack looks huge! Also the pricepoint, $250 USD, thats more than I'm comfortable spending on a backpack.

I had a P3 and the DJI HSC pack and that was perfect, went with me everywhere offering really good protection. Wish they still made that one...

So I'm still undecided on a backpack. Since its been sometime people have had the LowePro 450 or the DJI P4 specific pack, I'd like to hear opinions now that they've lived it with for sometime...

My feedback for what it's worth Bart.

I picked up the Lowepro 450 back in April...I had generally the same concerns as you did about its size. However, now having used it for a few months, I can tell you it has worked out great.

Here is a list of items I keep in my bag:

P4
Three batteries
RC
Chargers + cords for the batteries, RC and Fat Shark goggles
Lightning cables with plugs
iPad Mini
Bluetooth GPS
Three filter Polar Pro carrying case
Fat Shark Dominator HD V2 case
Bluetooth music speaker
22,000 mWh battery pack

It all fits nice and snug. Nothing moves around. The RC and battery compartments zip up, with plenty of space for the other items shown above. There are also side pockets you can slide stuff into, not to mention the relatively large separate compartment on the top of the bag to store your wallet and a bottle of water, keys, etc. There is also a smaller zipper pouch on the inside of the backpack near the props which can other other documents, small cords, etc as well.

One other really good thing I experienced twice now with this bag. The other day I was about 2 minutes from launch, getting the pre-flight stuff completed, Fat Shark FPV setup, etc., out of no where it started raining....before I knew it, was a downpour. I piled all the stuff into the bag very fast, pulled out the connected rainproof cover as part of the Lowepro 450 which wraps the entire backpack. Everything on the inside remained dry.

I have traveled with this bag on three different flights this year, and not once did TSA question the contents, etc.

Here are two pics of my bag and its contents as described above. (Yes, the ipad does fit in the pouch it is standing in shown in the second photo...just did that for demo purposes so you could see where the pad goes).

IMG_2671.JPG
IMG_2670.JPG

If you are concerned about stuff shifting around during transport, I would put that concern aside with this bag.

Last point of mention. When you go to the Lowepro website (Lowepro | Camera bags, backpacks, sling bags and rolling cases to protect & carry photo & digital devices), they offer a 15% discount if you provide an email address to send future offers to. I signed up and rarely receive any emails from them (and got the 15% discount). That brings the price down to around $212 before tax. Ground shipping is free.

Yep, it is a bit bigger than the others offered, but you do get what you pay for here IMO. Again, works great for me when considering the stuff I carry around.

If I can help further, just let me know.

Mike

My feedback for what it's worth Bart.

I picked up the Lowepro 450 back in April...I had generally the same concerns as you did about its size. However, now having used it for a few months, I can tell you it has worked out great.

Here is a list of items I keep in my bag:

P4
Three batteries
RC
Chargers + cords for the batteries, RC and Fat Shark goggles
Lightning cables with plugs
iPad Mini
Bluetooth GPS
Three filter Polar Pro carrying case
Fat Shark Dominator HD V2 case
Bluetooth music speaker
22,000 mWh battery pack

It all fits nice and snug. Nothing moves around. The RC and battery compartments zip up, with plenty of space for the other items shown above. There are also side pockets you can slide stuff into, not to mention the relatively large separate compartment on the top of the bag to store your wallet and a bottle of water, keys, etc. There is also a smaller zipper pouch on the inside of the backpack near the props which can other other documents, small cords, etc as well.

One other really good thing I experienced twice now with this bag. The other day I was about 2 minutes from launch, getting the pre-flight stuff completed, Fat Shark FPV setup, etc., out of no where it started raining....before I knew it, was a downpour. I piled all the stuff into the bag very fast, pulled out the connected rainproof cover as part of the Lowepro 450 which wraps the entire backpack. Everything on the inside remained dry.

I have traveled with this bag on three different flights this year, and not once did TSA question the contents, etc.

Here are two pics of my bag and its contents as described above. (Yes, the ipad does fit in the pouch it is standing in shown in the second photo...just did that for demo purposes so you could see where the pad goes).

View attachment 62998 View attachment 62999

If you are concerned about stuff shifting around during transport, I would put that concern aside with this bag.

Last point of mention. When you go to the Lowepro website (Lowepro | Camera bags, backpacks, sling bags and rolling cases to protect & carry photo & digital devices), they offer a 15% discount if you provide an email address to send future offers to. I signed up and rarely receive any emails from them (and got the 15% discount). That brings the price down to around $212 before tax. Ground shipping is free.

Yep, it is a bit bigger than the others offered, but you do get what you pay for here IMO. Again, works great for me when considering the stuff I carry around.

If I can help further, just let me know.

Mike
That's a well organized backpack for the P4. I'll look for one at the next drone show to check it out. My first impression from the Lowepro website photos are:
1. The props look very cool, all organized and lined up on the lid. However it's a lot more time to stow and retrieve, putting each one in their individual loop and pocket. Too much time for me.
2. The two zippered compartments for the charger and RC looks nice too, very organized looking, however it's just another zipper I need to open and close, after I'm inside the pack. Again, too much time.
3. The pack is 10.2" thick. I have a ProCraft that thick. It's a bit much, but it will fit in most airplane overhead storage, even though it's an inch beyond most airline limits. I've never been refused, but I fly Southwest mostly and they're pretty generous about exceeding their carry-on guidelines.

I'm always looking for something better, but I'm still sold on my $200 Think Tank Helipak. This photo below shows the Helipak, it doesn't "look as cool" as the Lowepro IMO, but I think it's easier to use and saves time with each flight. Granted, I haven't used a Lowepro, but I have used this Helipak for 10mos now. Works nice, can't think of any negatives, other than the price, which seems pretty competitive for this class of backpack.
1. Has lots of storage that's open and accessible after I get inside the main compartment. No more additional unzipping to get to my stuff, like RC, charger, props, or SD cards. Convenient.
2. The backpack is a little smaller than my ProCraft unit which fits into airplane overheads easier, because it's closer to 9" thick.
3. The zipper on this backpack is high quality, larger size zipper than my ProCraft. I don't like fragile zippers.
4. Materials are high quality. I'm sure the Lowepro has high quality materials too. I'd like to see one.
5. It can hold an RC with an Itelite DBS2 antenna installed, no problem. Most others won't, not sure about Lowepro, but the ProCraft will.

Here's the setup showing how the Itelite antenna fits. I use to stow the props in the lid, which is specifically provided for the props. But when I started using the lower compartment shown here, making it quick to grab all 4 props and twist on, that's when I changed my location for prop storage. Granted, it doesn't look as nice and organized, but it's quick, very quick. I can fly in less than 2min from the word go, and that's important sometimes when I'm driving along the road and I see some wild elk, deer or antelope. Last month it was wild horses in Nevada.

Helipak.jpg

The lowepro is soooo sick. That's my next backpack for sure. It looks like it's built so well

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl