New Phantom 3 Standard: A New Horizon

It's Research and Development vs Current Production
One moves faster rates than the other.

------------------------------------
I gotta do a "Donald"; as in Trump that is...

This old-school last-century way of thinking; a first world entitlement that must change. (by the way, the western world is getting its arse kicked in the overall UAV market and what do we do? Complain about the foreign competition products we have purchased.

The pace of technology is rapid. We all know that and if you participate as a consumer or supplier then you must understand and accept it.

If a new platform variant (eg P3S) comes out, then to meet that price performance niche, the newest features should not care about the human foibles of thinking they got ripped off purchasing during the previous technology node.

What are pieces of tech that drive the price performance niches between the P3S, P3A, and P3P ?
  • DME - ground based ultrasonics and camera tracking
  • Radio Links - LightBridge vs WiFi/RC
The two above tech items are the biggest drivers to create price points.

The P3S camera payload feature supporting 2.7K just comes along with the newest technology node.
The P3A and P3P are already streaming off production lines. Not like adding a new thing to a production line.

Back to Donald...
If being irked is the point, then that should have been when they came out simultaneously with the Advanced and Professional (but I'm sure too that there are economics with the component and mfg costs between 1080 and 4K).

And back again to regular programming.

Distance looks good blade for what it is but Is it restricted to 400' altitude ?

Currently the same as the p3, defaults to 120m but this can be changed to 500m. This might change once they update the app to public but I highly doubt it.

Reactions: dirkclod
Everything about this release is weird.............way points, follow me, points of interest and yet the P3 is lacking all of that and costing a huge wack more.........Nice one DJI

Once they activate it for the Standard it will be available across all p3's and inspire.

Currently the same as the p3, defaults to 120m but this can be changed to 500m. This might change once they update the app to public but I highly doubt it.
Thank you sir...That's what I wanted to know ! The way I read it I thought 400' was it.:)

Thank you sir...That's what I wanted to know ! The way I read it I thought 400' was it.:)

Unless they lock it via the app I think it will operate the same as the other p3's.

Blade,
Can you confirm that the 1080p camera on the P3A is hardware locked at 1080p and that firmware updates won't extend to 2.7k? Someone brought that up earlier.

Ya know ..that's the only thing that bothers me about the P3's is their able to do that . I know folks find work a round's but I like to just use the DJI app . Wanna see that TX cracked open :mad::D Thanks for the answers blade . The video was smooth . I'm coming from the Vision so it's lots better no doubt !

Reactions: garrock
Blade,
Can you confirm that the 1080p camera on the P3A is hardware locked at 1080p and that firmware updates won't extend to 2.7k? Someone brought that up earlier.

I do believe this is correct on the advanced.. I heard from a little birdy that the pro can do 2.7k and it will only require a firmware update. I don't know if they will ever do this, just saying what I have heard unofficially..;)

I suspect the P3A uses the Ambarella A7LS chipset which doesn't support 2.7k recording. The P3P uses the Ambarella A9 which we've seen in teardowns which can technically support 2.7k, 1080p 120fps and 720 240fps modes. Although some of these might be limited in reality by other concerns such as power usage constraints, RAM speeds or if the sensor in the camera can record at those frequencies.

Blade,

Last edited:
@blade strike Being you've had it in your hands are the 5.8 antennas on the bird coming down the skids as the P2's do ?
I have looked at every picture I can find and don't see them .
Thanks

I suspect the P3A uses the Ambarella A7LS chipset which doesn't support 2.7k recording. The P3P uses the Ambarella A9 which we've seen in teardowns which can technically support 2.7k, 1080p 120fps and 720 240fps modes. Although some of these might be limited in reality by other concerns such as power usage and RAM speeds.
Well, that's above my pay grade but sounds very convincing!

I'm really curious as to what SoC the Phantom 3 Standard uses. There seems to be some evidence that the A7LS chip might support 2.7k with suitable RAM and sensor support but I can't find any product that uses it in that manner. So if DJI are using an Ambarella chip in the Standard, I'm not sure what they are using to get 2.7k recording. GoPro use the A9 in the Hero 4 silver cameras and limit it with firmware/RAM. Ambarella had an older chip called the A770 in the Hero 3 that could do 2.7k also.

Maybe DJI are using a different manufacturer for their chips in the Standard? Until we get a tear down who knows.

It is curious to note though that any chip Amberalla has that can do 2.7k can also do 1080p 60fps too, so if it is one of their chips I the Standard then they are likely withholding that mode from use with firmware to push buyers needing the higher frame rate to the Advanced. Unless the sensor in the standard can't handle 60fps.

Someone please tear a Standard down!!! Lol

It seems like coming out all three at the same time giving users a choice between the three would have been better business wise but I'm sure logistics wise that might not have been an option. Non the less having a PS be a few hundred less may get more people to buy one and enjoy flying.

I think the better models fit NAB and the semi-experienced Spring and Summer shooters...while this one could be delayed (they can only produce X amount total on production lines) and introed for the Holiday Season.

The Holiday Season is really big for drones. Really. Big. Really.
Depending on the model we are talking about, I think 3 to 6 times as many are sold in December as in many other months. Last week in November and early Jan. are also big (backorders, gift certificates being used, etc.).

DJI is well positioned to get 80-90% of the $700-$3500 drone sales for the remainder of 2015.

@blade strike Being you've had it in your hands are the 5.8 antennas on the bird coming down the skids as the P2's do ?
I have looked at every picture I can find and don't see them .
Thanks

Correct just like the p2v+

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31