New P4P. Upgrade?

So, finally, after hobby-ing for a while, I decided to take the step and passed the 107 last week! Today, my new P4P showed up!

Big sticker on top of copter says to upgrade firmware. I've seen lots of problems, but also lots of success.

Should I, or shouldn't I? Has anyone received a brand new Pro, upgraded before anything, and had problems?

I'z a-scared!

Don't do it. It will work fine with what it came with.

My drone arrived with the V 01.01.0203 AC firmware and this is a December of 2016 rev level. I got assistance from Steve at flyflydrone.com to move it to the April 2017 firmware rev level of 01.03.0509.

It will stay at this level until others have confirmed what issues there may be with the firmware release that will have the Local Data Mode option.
SMART move !!!

Tthanx for the input. I will try and stay, but, I keep getting the following error. I have logged out of dji, as well as reinstall the app. And I still get it. However, it says I can't fly outside of those ranges, but I can. I don't get it....

Attachments

• IMG_0290.PNG
    IMG_0290.PNG
    5.5 MB · Views: 259
Tthanx for the input. I will try and stay, but, I keep getting the following error. I have logged out of dji, as well as reinstall the app. And I still get it. However, it says I can't fly outside of those ranges, but I can. I don't get it....
You've probably posted, and I missed it... but are you in beginner mode? (Just trying to help)....

I am not sure, I upgraded to 4.x and I don't recall seeing it. But I had some confusion going on since I was also trying to switch to my Nexus 7 from my iPhone and had some issues which turned out to caused by the remote needing updating as well. Once that was done all was good. Will try again tomorrow with the Nexus. My small iPad is a new 10.5 Pro and it is slightly too large to fit in the holder. Bummer for sure. The Nexus has a larger screen than my IPhone SE.

I am not sure, I upgraded to 4.x and I don't recall seeing it. But I had some confusion going on since I was also trying to switch to my Nexus 7 from my iPhone and had some issues which turned out to caused by the remote needing updating as well. Once that was done all was good. Will try again tomorrow with the Nexus. My small iPad is a new 10.5 Pro and it is slightly too large to fit in the holder. Bummer for sure. The Nexus has a larger screen than my IPhone SE.

Get the slide on extension for tablets and the 10.5 pro will fit just fine. Mine does and it cost less than 10 bucks from Amazon.

You have 3 devices that need to be at a compatible software/firmware level ... DJI Go 4 device, DJI RC controller, and DJI drone. First, before upgrading anything, check the level of software in each device and compare it to the current level that is posted on DJI's website for the P4P. Then upgrade only where necessary. After the upgrade, check the level again on each device to be sure all upgrades went well. Then you should have success with flying and enjoying your drone.

Reactions: Ben01
Can anyone please fill me in on what is wrong with the latest update?
I have no idea, I have updated everything, every time it asked, and I have no issues at all. I am beginning to wonder if NOT UPDATING, might play into some problems. Software gets updates, but usually they are applied in a sequence, not randomly. Maybe not updating and skipping, then updating causes some problems, hard to be sure.

Can anyone please fill me in on what is wrong with the latest update?

If you really want to know what's wrong with it spend some time reading thru the threads on here and DJI's forum as well. Just because SOME people don't have problems doesn't mean others don't. My BIGGEST problem with some of latest updates is that you are giving MORE CONTROL of your drone away to DJI. Many many people have been grounded because DJI has decided to become the drone police even in areas that are COMPLETELY SAFE to fly.

...I am using the 10.5 ipad pro and while it initially appears to be too large, if you snap it in with a little elbow grease it fits just fine - my only concern would be the foam protector strip on the top clip will probably deteriorate over the years from friction, but you can always apply another strip of foam or a reasonable facsimile easily and cheaply down the road...

I have no idea, I have updated everything, every time it asked, and I have no issues at all. I am beginning to wonder if NOT UPDATING, might play into some problems. Software gets updates, but usually they are applied in a sequence, not randomly. Maybe not updating and skipping, then updating causes some problems, hard to be sure.

Like Iphones 7, Canon 5d Mark IV, there are different versions of Phantom Pro 4. It all depends when the Phantom Pro 4 was manufactured. A small change of electrical components, memory changes, etc will affect the Phantom 4 Pro. While a firmware upgrade should work with most Phantom 4 pro out there, there may be a few out there that may have issues with the firmware.

Reactions: Bakersfield Quad
Like Iphones 7, Canon 5d Mark IV, there are different versions of Phantom Pro 4. It all depends when the Phantom Pro 4 was manufactured. A small change of electrical components, memory changes, etc will affect the Phantom 4 Pro. While a firmware upgrade should work with most Phantom 4 pro out there, there may be a few out there that may have issues with the firmware.
I could not agree more, indeed, there will always be changes in production and your point is well taken.

Sorry but have to disagree. I've owned multiple iPhones and never had an issue with one. To be honest, I know plenty of people who use iPhones and have never heard anyone say "that update has bricked my iPhone".

I still have an iPad 2 - purchased around 2010ish? - while getting slower with recent updates it works flawlessly.

I still own a Canon 30d which I purchased around 2005 and still works flawlessly.

If the issue of updates on the Phantoms comes down to different electrical components or other hardware, then it shows nothing more than a complete lack of quality control and ultimately respect for the consumer who fork out pretty big money for what they believe is a top notch product from a reputable brand.

My two cents.

Sorry but have to disagree. I've owned multiple iPhones and never had an issue with one. To be honest, I know plenty of people who use iPhones and have never heard anyone say "that update has bricked my iPhone".

I still have an iPad 2 - purchased around 2010ish? - while getting slower with recent updates it works flawlessly.

I still own a Canon 30d which I purchased around 2005 and still works flawlessly.

If the issue of updates on the Phantoms comes down to different electrical components or other hardware, then it shows nothing more than a complete lack of quality control and ultimately respect for the consumer who fork out pretty big money for what they believe is a top notch product from a reputable brand.

My two cents.
I agree with you regarding the apparent lack of sufficient software quality assurance and the associated regression testing that is required to be done by any serious software development personnel. And yes, we do pay some serious bucks for the supposed high-end Drones out there just to have them become unreliable or unusable due to the the firmware bugs and often incomplete (missing key steps) instructions for installation when anything doesn't go as planned during the install. This all points to poor software quality and client focus since the clients perform the updates. Look at any major software product and it's associated automated update process. The people buying the software would't continue if a pattern of after updating it made it worse or less functional than before ... seems that DJI is already guilty of this and it has not yet improved. They need to fix their quality control for firmware development, regression testing and subsequent release to the many clients depending on it to work CORRECTLY and RELIABLY on their expensive hardware. Until they do this there will be no more updates to or purchases of any DJI Drones by me. I am staying on '1.03.0509 in combination with GL300E_RC_V1130_20170307' since it works perfectly on my P4P+.

Last edited:

My two cents.

What I meant was even Iphones and the Canon camera have different hardware revisions throughout the year even though they are the same models and same goes with all DJI products. Canon and Iphones are much larger companies with probably a better software development department so it was a bad example explaining firmware upgrade issues with hardware revisions. Can't compare with million of Iphones vs thousands of Phantom 4. DJI most likely does not have a larger software development to cross check their firmware with different hardware revisions.

Iphones did have firmware issues in previous Iphones which bricked a few phones and Apple took down that firmware update on their website the following day. They fixed it few days later. DJI should follow this example and take down the firmware until the issues are resolved.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl