New P3P owner with a myriad of issues that's left me timid to fly. Details in main post.

Reaction score
Hi all,

Despite being a new P3P owner, my experience with quads goes back a bit. I have my BS Aero Eng from a well-known US university and worked extensively on unmanned vehicles there, including quads. The amount of control schemes I authored that resulted in crashes only adds to my fears :).

Anyways, here's a summary of my issues:

1. Last weekend, I was having a routine flight. I got a full disconnection for a few seconds, and I wrote that off as interference from a lighthouse that may have been between me and the quad. I had accounted for it in my RTH altitude, so I didn't worry too much. Signal returned, and I flew as planned closer to where I was standing. That explains Points E, F, and G in the picture linked below this paragraph. The disconnection at Point H is what has me concerned. I had the aircraft at a hover, in full view, and with no obstacles between myself and the quad. I got a gray "Disconnected" status in DJI GO, and my iPhone 7+ goes to sleep. The aircraft began its RTH sequence, and I was able to take control back of the aircraft after 15 seconds. I did a few short flights two days later without incident. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

2. This Thursday, again, while in a hover, something similar happened. This time, I received a gray "Disconnected" status in DJI GO, but my phone stayed awake. The aircraft initiated RTH (based on the movement I saw) and I was able to retake control 15 or so seconds later. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

3. Today, I went to fly in relatively tame conditions. Siri told me wind speeds were <10mph, and the golfer in me would call it about a half-club wind. What's concerning about this flight was the inability of the aircraft to hover when commanded. The aircraft was connected to no less than 16 satellites during the short flight, but it struggled to maintain altitude or location. Because I was over water, I was comfortable to see how the quad reacted to a commanded movement. During the short flight away from the home point, I commanded a straight line back, as verified by the input display in DJI GO, which I looked at right after the flight. As you can see, there was a noticeable curve to just that short movement. When I stopped pulling back on the stick, the aircraft made that unprompted move that would be "south" on the map (to the right, in the quad's frame of reference). Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

As far as the first two instances go, I know the antenna were arranged properly, so I don't believe that to be the issue. Apps and all firmware are up to date, as well. I'm happy to provide any more information should someone have some ideas.

To top it all off, while driving away from my flight today, I see a guy getting ready to take off with his Mavic... pre-ordered it the first day it was available and just got it a few weeks ago. If I stumble on one in the Apple Store, you can be sure this P3P is going straight to Craigslist.

Cheers.

I am unfamiliar with your phone device, but I would recommend you try using another type device to see if the issue may be with the original device. If the same thing happens the Phantom may be the problem. I had to send a P3A back for inability of stable hover/GPS loss.

I am unfamiliar with your phone device, but I would recommend you try using another type device to see if the issue may be with the original device. If the same thing happens the Phantom may be the problem. I had to send a P3A back for inability of stable hover/GPS loss.

Sorry, buried in that novel I did mention that it's an iPhone 7 Plus. What's troublesome is that it's a degradation in performance that is somewhat unexplainable. I've flown in 20+ mph winds (unadvisable, I know, but I have faith in the technology and did it in safe settings) where it hovers like a charm, but I've had a few successive issues now that are cause for concern.

You were pretty close to the surface of the water. You might want to try again with the VPS turned off. It has been known to cause issues over water.

You were pretty close to the surface of the water. You might want to try again with the VPS turned off. It has been known to cause issues over water.
I think the altitude shows drone well above the water. It is altitude from take off point, above the jetty rocks and water. (prbly was 15-20 ft above water.)

Maybe. I'd eliminate the possibility of VPS issues, if it were me. It's a good practice to disable the VPS over water, anyway.

Thanks. I assume you're speaking of incident number 3, correct? I can't imagine it VPS has any bearing on 1 or 2.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.