NEW mini4 (iOS 9) issue

So to summarise then as this is primarily a thread about the iPad 4 Mini running iOS 9 the iPad 4 Mini running iOS 9 is generally OK but previous iPads upgraded to iOS are not?

I for one have an iPad 4 Mini and it works fine.

I think it started as lagging on a mini 4 with IOS 9 and morphed into general feedback on IOS 9 on other devices.

FWIW. I downgraded my Ipad 2 mini to IOS 8.4.1. Restored it from iCloud. Flashed my Phantom 3a to the latest 1.4.x firmware.

Put the Ipad in Airplane mode, Turned off the Background App Refresh, Closed all apps.

On the Phantom I turned off video caching and turned ON Hardware decode.

No Video Lag. I do NOT have the 32 channel hack reinstalled yet either.

Update. The mini 4 with iOS 9 has some glitchiness when hardware decode is on. Regardless there appear to be some issues that will likely be updated with the next Go update. No lag at all. Just some ghosting.

Sent from my PT beating heart

Ok, finally got to test mine. No issues with a single battery.

Ambient temp: 68F
Absolute Elevation: 2500ft
Max radial distance: 12300ft/3800M
Flight height from home point: -600ft to 200ft
Time of day: 1.5hr before sunset
Device: iPad mini 4 cellular no service no sunshield.
Flight duration: 15min
Hardware encode: On
Video cache: Recording (iPad has over 2GB of cached vid)
Video channel: manual, ch30, lowest video rate
iOS: version 9.0
IOS location: while using
Airplane mode, no apps open
App: DJI GO ver 2.2.0

Cached video uplink footage (in LOG).

Due to 'user error', I'm out of commission for a couple days. Will try again in 85deg high humidity in a couple days and with autopilot 2.0

Last edited:
Reactions: Oso and jryser
Update. Deleted Go app and reinstalled it. Followed the optimization guide. The bit of pixel issues I had last night are completely gone. Everything worked well with 20 minute flight.

Sent from my PT beating heart

What makes you believe you're going to lose it? Seems to me, it well should Only be, a better companion.
I went flying today, only to discover my micro sd card was full. Flew one battery and then went directly to Memory Express. ;-) Picked up a 64gb Lexar micro sd card. Bamm

RedHotPoker
You are supposed to put in a newly formatted card before each flight, at the same time you change batteries. You never know which one might be the last, and it would be a shame to lose any prior flight recordings, too!:cool: Best to use multiple smaller cards, rather than one big one. 32 GB 633x Lexars seem to be the sweet spot right now for size, performance, and price. I have 8 so I can handle 7 battery changes and record up to 2 hours of flying, before needing a data dump.

Reactions: RedHotPoker
Thanks for that. Good idea. So with my current four intelligent flight batteries, I need two more micro sd cards.
I am already going to Memory Express tomorrow, to look at 4K monitors. My HP Envy Phoenix computer plays the 4K videos fine, but my monitor isn't that high of resolution.

I may grab a couple more sd cards while I'm there. ;-)

RedHotPoker

I doubt that screen brightness has much to do with the heat problem. But, sunlight does have a lot to do with heating of a phone or tablet.
...and yet in bright sunlight, the first thing everyone does is max out their screen brightness! Did the chicken or the egg come first? Try turning your screen up to max brightness inside, in a cool room, in the dark, and see how quickly it heats up! Then add 20/30° of ambient air temperature and direct heat from the sun on the tablet. It has a LOT to do with the heat problem, especially when you are also taxing an inferior processor with complex calculations.:cool:

Thanks for that. Good idea. So with my current four intelligent flight batteries, I need two more micro sd cards.
I am already going to Memory Express tomorrow, to look at 4K monitors. My HP Envy Phoenix computer plays the 4K videos fine, but my monitor isn't that high of resolution.

RedHotPoker
Let me know what you come up with for 4K monitor options. I was in CostCo this evening and their smallest was a 43" Visio 4K TV on sale at $529, regularly $579. That's a bit large for a desktop, but I guess I could get used to it!:cool:

RedHotPoker
I have 4 batteries as well, but figure the first could be recharged by the time the 4th is done, so I could just keep going, as long as I have AC and my new DJI 4 battery hub, which finally shipped today, after a 6 week back order!:cool:

I can also confirm that there is an issue with the Apple iPAD Mini 2 and iOS 9. Upgraded to iOS 9 last week and the video lag was quite noticeable. Before upgrading no problem. So first thing this morning went back to iOS 8.4.1 and just arrived back from a test flight and back to normal, no video lag using iOS 8.4.1. My recommendation, do not upgrade to iOS 9.
Same here. Upgraded Mini 2 Retina to iOS 9 and almost every app is now laggy, unreliable, and glitchy, and they were all fine before. It also broke my website PanoramaStudio Pro Spherical Panoramas from the same iPad, as they now no longer are viewable! Don't upgrade yet! :eek: Fortunately, my tablet for DJI GO is an Air 2 still on 8.4 and it shall stay that way!:cool:

I am not having any P3P issues with our fresh Go app & my Air 2 @ iOS 9. I can't relate to oother app issues, as I don't use the Air 2 for anything, but the Phantom 3.
It flies great and the video recorded is so vivid... I know I had lost my fpv feed once, at the ERCHA Free Fly, Saturday. But it came right back on. Not much to complain about. Practically unmentionable.

I have often wondered aloud, how much longer it will be, before we are all on the same or similar Phantom satisfaction page. Wouldn't that be wonderful, to know everyone is having fun, enjoying the incredible Phantom's and getting plenty of great pics and awesome videos? That's got to be the goal of @dji. A very tall order. Considering all the variables. But a grand goal just the same.

RedHotPoker

I am not having any P3P issues with our fresh Go app & my Air 2 @ iOS 9. I can't relate to oother app issues, as I don't use the Air 2 for anything, but the Phantom 3.
It flies great and the video recorded is so vivid... I know I had lost my fpv feed once, at the ERCHA Free Fly, Saturday. But it came right back on. Not much to complain about. Practically unmentionable.

I have often wondered aloud, how much longer it will be, before we are all on the same or similar Phantom satisfaction page. Wouldn't that be wonderful, to know everyone is having fun, enjoying the incredible Phantom's and getting plenty of great pics and awesome videos? That's got to be the goal of @dji. A very tall order. Considering all the variables. But a grand goal just the same.

RedHotPoker
Well, that's encouraging. Several of the new flying apps about to be released depend upon iOS 9 for their 3D mapping of waypoints. Good things to come!:cool:

I just downloaded everything and test flew mp P3P with my new iPAD mini 4 and huge video lag. (the mini-4 has the same power as the Air 2) so I'm assuming it a software glitch. I tried it with Autopilot as well and same video glitch. Sold my mini 2 so I stuck with my iPhone 6+ until I would expect a firmware update.

Hey thanks for the info. I was thinking of doing an upgrade from my Iphone 5s...really small, but wish DJI would come out with a tablet sized 7x5 or something that would work as part of the controller and be able to see in sunlight.....

So in the end run this turned into the I pad Mini 2 and I was going to buy a Mini 4 to test and maybe use. Think I will wait till more info on the OP gets sorted.

So in the end run this turned into the I pad Mini 2 and I was going to buy a Mini 4 to test and maybe use. Think I will wait till more info on the OP gets sorted.
Absolute best performance currently is still on the iPad Air 2. It's the benchmark against which all other tablets are measured. The Inspire1 was built around the iPad Air 2, and the P3P as well. No other tablets can match its performance or size, and the DJI GO iOS app is clearly DJI's main focus. You already own the best quad for the money. Why not properly support it with the best tablet, the Air 2, and use that hardware's supporting app?:cool: No compromises! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: brianb87
IOS 9.0.1 or 9.0.2 with GO reinstalled does not work at all for me on P3P and Mini 2. Screen will lag, start to flicker and then go gray for 15 to 30 seconds.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl