NEW mini4 (iOS 9) issue

Considering that some are having issues with the Mini4, and no one has issues with the Air 2, that fits perfectly in the cradle, I would, and did, go with Air 2! But I also fly
Sunlight produces next to nothing for heat on a tablet??? I don't believe that is a correct assessment of direct sunlight in 90 plus temperatures in the Southwest. It does have a significant effect on the tablet heat build up.
Of course you're right Bob. That comment about sunlight not impacting the tablet is simply not true.
I doubt that screen brightness has much to do with the heat problem. But, sunlight does have a lot to do with heating of a phone or tablet.
You can set a powered off iPad on the cradle in direct sun and you will get a normal operating temperature as if it were running and in the shade. While flying you ARENT in direct sunlight, because apple has a garbage screen and you cant see it. Sure, there is going to be a little bit of added heat, but nothing bad enough to make effect anything. Obviously having the brightness turned up will increase heat. There is no way it cant! Is a 40watt lightbulb as bright as a 100watt? Is the 40watt as warm as the 100watt? Is more power being used by to make a brighter screen? Of course its producing heat, and a lot of it! The screen is hotter from the light produced, the battery is hotter from the drain. Common sense!!

So here is my dilemma.

I ordered an ipad mini 4 cellular which ships with ios 9. DJI is not saying anything about an issue and when and if there is a fix for it.

I can cancel the order and get an Air 2 which seems to have less of an issue.

I like the small form factor of the mini, but I just wonder if I am taking a risk for a potential problem that my never be fixed.

I do not have another device to use so it is ios 9 or nothing (not going with Android). If I get the mini I could be grounded for a while or indefinitely or not have a problem at all.

Considering that some are having issues with the Mini4, and no one has issues with the Air 2, that fits perfectly in the cradle, I would, and did, go with Air 2! But I also fly

You can set a powered off iPad on the cradle in direct sun and you will get a normal operating temperature as if it were running and in the shade. While flying you ARENT in direct sunlight, because apple has a garbage screen and you cant see it. Sure, there is going to be a little bit of added heat, but nothing bad enough to make effect anything. Obviously having the brightness turned up will increase heat. There is no way it cant! Is a 40watt lightbulb as bright as a 100watt? Is the 40watt as warm as the 100watt? Is more power being used by to make a brighter screen? Of course its producing heat, and a lot of it! The screen is hotter from the light produced, the battery is hotter from the drain. Common sense!!
You are just going to have to let this one go sir. Everyone is allowed to be wrong sometimes, and this is your turn. Let's not add any more confusion to the forum for the sake of the newer pilots. Sound good? Can you make yourself not reply and just move on this time?

Reactions: JoBe
So here is my dilemma.

I ordered an ipad mini 4 cellular which ships with ios 9. DJI is not saying anything about an issue and when and if there is a fix for it.

I can cancel the order and get an Air 2 which seems to have less of an issue.

I like the small form factor of the mini, but I just wonder if I am taking a risk for a potential problem that my never be fixed.

I do not have another device to use so it is ios 9 or nothing (not going with Android). If I get the mini I could be grounded for a while or indefinitely or not have a problem at all.

Like I said - my iPad Mini 4 (Cellular) works like a charm. I posted all the details earlier in this thread - I'm not seeing a common thread that could lead to an assumption why it works for one, and not the others.

I was flying both standing in the shade and standing in direct sunlight - no sunglasses - DJI hood and could see the screen just fine. My iPad was in Airplane mode with hardware decode enabled - maps set to cache - nothing else out of the ordinary - channel hack in place and manually selected a clean channel.

Reactions: ActionDrone and Oso
I am just a bit worried since more IOS 9 problems seem to be consistent with the mini 4 above all others.

Guess I will just roll the dice and keep my fingers crossed.

I am just a bit worried since more IOS 9 problems seem to be consistent with the mini 4 above all others.

Guess I will just roll the dice and keep my fingers crossed.
Just remember that there are normally more people who don't have issues than people who do have issues. Most of the time issues are highlighted but non issues are not heard about as often. It's always a great idea to educate yourself with what others are seeing, but don't let it paralyze you.

You are just going to have to let this one go sir. Everyone is allowed to be wrong sometimes, and this is your turn. Let's not add any more confusion to the forum for the sake of the newer pilots. Sound good? Can you make yourself not reply and just move on this time?
If I were wrong I would have no issue admitting it. Fortunately though, I'm not. And I could care less if you agree or not.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Just remember that there are normally more people who don't have issues than people who do have issues. Most of the time issues are highlighted but non issues are not heard about as often. It's always a great idea to educate yourself with what others are seeing, but don't let it paralyze you.
Oh I am very aware of that, believe me. I own a 1977 VW Bus. You are not going to see many posts from people who are driving these things trouble free even though I am sure they out number those with problems!

I have not encountered any of the problems with firmware updates or anything else that gets posted on these forums and realize that I am in the silent majority.

Still, The mini 4 is garnering the most issues with IOS 9. Just hope I get a good one and all is well.

Earlier today I went to the store and picked up a mini 4 with ATT cellular, activated the mini at the store. When I got home I did a backup of the mini 2 that is having troubles with iOS 9, restored the mini 2 backup to the mini 4 and everything was there. I then went into the back yard and flew for about 15 min and no lag. A couple hours later I went the field and flew 16 min each on 2 batteries with no troubles. All apps closed, WiFi off, cellular data was on. This guy is back in the air!

side note, during one of the flights I did a POI flight and changed diameter and direction once, no problems.
at end of flight I was about 1,000' out at 90' high, hit return home... it went up to my set altitute, flew back

Reactions: aopisa
Earlier today I went to the store and picked up a mini 4 with ATT cellular, activated the mini at the store. When I got home I did a backup of the mini 2 that is having troubles with iOS 9, restored the mini 2 backup to the mini 4 and everything was there. I then went into the back yard and flew for about 15 min and no lag. A couple hours later I went the field and flew 16 min each on 2 batteries with no troubles. All apps closed, WiFi off, cellular data was on. This guy is back in the air!

side note, during one of the flights I did a POI flight and changed diameter and direction once, no problems.
at end of flight I was about 1,000' out at 90' high, hit return home... it went up to my set altitute, flew back

Glad to hear this. Picked me up a 64gb mini 4 as well today. Haven't tested yet-- Monday. I got 64gb cuz I plan on doing some editing on iMovie. Hope it's enough. Ugg can you not edit 4k on it? I know the screen isn't 4K but no downscale?

Last edited:
I have just picked up my Mini 4 too. Will try tomorrow when I get home to my P3Ps!

Sent from my PT beating heart

Using iPad Air updated to iOS 9 a few days ago but have not flown yet with the new iOS, but my everyday use of the tablet I have been having lags in apps starting and running have had freeze ups starting apps. Before the iOS update I never had a single problem opening and running apps and no lags when I was in DJI app so I am safe to say iOS 9 is a little glitchy and will not fly using my iPad till the problems get better. Lucky for me I have a Galaxy Tab Pro to play with too.

I can also confirm that there is an issue with the Apple iPAD Mini 2 and iOS 9. Upgraded to iOS 9 last week and the video lag was quite noticeable. Before upgrading no problem. So first thing this morning went back to iOS 8.4.1 and just arrived back from a test flight and back to normal, no video lag using iOS 8.4.1. My recommendation, do not upgrade to iOS 9.

Reactions: Oso
Same with me iPad mini 2 Retina display. Fine with 8.4.1 now iOS 9 lag across multiple apps. Never had any issues, dji never once in 3 months had issues except being in direct sunlight. Seems iOS 9 is the common factor.

Wow and here I thought IOS9 would have made some improvements in performance for the Ipad 2, etc.

Erasing IOS9 now and restoring 8.4. :(

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik