New guy here!

Reaction score
Hi there, new to the forum after looking about for advice thought I would join :)

Recently bought a standard phantom 3 but ended up buying the advance after reading on here about them. (Bit more expense but worth it in long run)

Anyway thought I would start a thread and get anyone's thought on what I should get for the drone, accessory wise.

I've seen they curved foil things that go on the antennas, do they work are they any good?

Not yet tried the drone out but hopefully tomorrow will get it out. Just excited and want to buy accessories for it allready so anything you think that improved your experience or the performance of drone if you could tell me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Reactions: dirkclod
Reactions: Phantom3newby
Yes those curved foul things are called windsurfers and work good.

Before taking your P3 to field, read the documentation again and again, view videos and go to an open field for first trials. Never take risk of flying near trees or buildings. Most of the accidents take place with trees and buildings and other structures.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Welcome to the forum Phantom3newby.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
This bunch here are the smartest you will find anywhere :)

Welcome to the forum Phantom3newby.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
This bunch here are the smartest you will find anywhere :)

Thanks, yeah your right about the last bit! Some of the stuff people write on this forum I don't even have a clue what it means!

Relax, and just enjoy your Phantom for a while. Don't worry about upgrading the firmware to start. If the bird works, don't mess with it until you have some time with the system. Once you get it in the air and gain some experience with it, you can start thinking about accessories. think about what type of flying you want to do and where you will be doing it. Thinks like Windsurfers do work, but if you never plan to fly more that 1000 yards (or meters) away, probably don't need them. One item that almost everyone (myself included) recommends is a set of neutral density (ND) filters. do a quick search on the forum and you will find several threads and posts on the topic with recommendations fro several brands and #'s. I personally use and like the 4 filter set from Taco. They are the same weight as the UV filter that comes on the bird and are easy to switch out with it. And it won't be long before you are going to want another battery. Just save yourself some potential heartburn and stick with DJI original equipment batteries. OF course, you need a decent table/smart phone to run the Go app (like most of us, you will likely 'advance' to other apps as you gain experience), you will need to register you Phantom with DJI through the Go app before you can start the motors. Again, a number of threads and posts on the success/problems folks have had with various systems. Again, I personally use the iPad Mini 4 Wi-Fi only and have had no problems. And finally, if you are in the US, don't forget to register with the FAA. you can do that here sUAS Registration. Its $5 for 3 years. Have fun and let us know how you are doing.

Relax, and just enjoy your Phantom for a while. Don't worry about upgrading the firmware to start. If the bird works, don't mess with it until you have some time with the system. Once you get it in the air and gain some experience with it, you can start thinking about accessories. think about what type of flying you want to do and where you will be doing it. Thinks like Windsurfers do work, but if you never plan to fly more that 1000 yards (or meters) away, probably don't need them. One item that almost everyone (myself included) recommends is a set of neutral density (ND) filters. do a quick search on the forum and you will find several threads and posts on the topic with recommendations fro several brands and #'s. I personally use and like the 4 filter set from Taco. They are the same weight as the UV filter that comes on the bird and are easy to switch out with it. And it won't be long before you are going to want another battery. Just save yourself some potential heartburn and stick with DJI original equipment batteries. OF course, you need a decent table/smart phone to run the Go app (like most of us, you will likely 'advance' to other apps as you gain experience), you will need to register you Phantom with DJI through the Go app before you can start the motors. Again, a number of threads and posts on the success/problems folks have had with various systems. Again, I personally use the iPad Mini 4 Wi-Fi only and have had no problems. And finally, if you are in the US, don't forget to register with the FAA. you can do that here sUAS Registration. Its $5 for 3 years. Have fun and let us know how you are doing.

Thanks for all this, sounds great, I'm from Scotland so don't think I need to register my drone with anything other than the dji app to get my drone up and running. Yeah I think after I have it out the first time I'm going to want batteries so that will probably be my first buy. Will get out and try it all and get back to use on the experience. Thanks again for the information, much appreciated!

Well, i done my first few flights today and went pretty well! Wish I had seen how to turn off the drone when landed by just pushing down the left stick, I used the Csc to turn it off resulting in it tipping onto grass, everything was fine though and just had to wipe the blades clean. Picked it up pretty fast and was able to fly it about pretty good.

Quick question, when I turn the drone on and set it up it says something about the compass stuck and to turn off drone then start up again... I then do that and it works fine. Will this happen all the time as it done it both times I flew it today?

Thanks.

Are you running the latest firmware and version of DJI GO?

The "compass stuck" message is not a common problem. A few people have mentioned it here and on the DJI forum, but nobody mentions a solution. They all say the same as you -- that it sometimes comes and goes. I'd suggest you contact DJI support and see if they know of a fix.

welcome aboard

The "compass stuck" message is not a common problem. A few people have mentioned it here and on the DJI forum, but nobody mentions a solution. They all say the same as you -- that it sometimes comes and goes. I'd suggest you contact DJI support and see if they know of a fix.

Will give them a phone, used again today and exact same thing came up.

Another question...

My bedroom window backs onto a huge field... with this freezing weather I was wondering if I could sit at the window and fly it ? Would the signal on the controller go through the glass Allright? Il try upload a picture of the area I'm flying in.

Thanks

This is a photo from a friends drone but shows the fields in the background.

Attachments

• IMG_6754.jpg
    IMG_6754.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 228
Also Is there a specific way to turn on the drone controller and plug in phone? Like an order they should be done ? And same with shutting it all down once finished ?

Also Is there a specific way to turn on the drone controller and plug in phone? Like an order they should be done ? And same with shutting it all down once finished ?
Startup:
  • Connect phone to remote controller via cable
  • Turn on remote controller
  • Turn on Phantom
  • Start DJI GO

Shutdown:
  • Turn off Phantom
  • Turn off remote controller

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads