New gimbal problems

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I found this forum as it looks like it has the largest group of people in the know when it comes to the DJI Phantom. (DJI Support hasn't answered my emails [after about 1 week] and nor has my reseller :cry: )

I have purchased the upgrade kit for the Phantom (P330CB-H3-2D) and also the H3-2D Gimbal (I already had a GoPro Hero 3 Black edition) and I can't seem to get it working. This is what I have done so far:
I have installed the new power board and LED into the housing, I put the cable for the Gimbal through and connected it up.
I powered it up (while connected to the computer) and installed the lateset firmware (Version 4.0)
Loaded the default Phantom configuration (from DJI), recalibrated and changed all of the settings to suit how I fly (IOC, RTH, etc.)
I enabled the Gimbal in the DJI software.

The GoPro is in the gimbal and according to the videos that I have seen, when I power-up the Phantom, the GoPro should turn on and start to recharge. But it doesn't, I have tried to turn on the GoPro and then powering up the Phantom (again same result). I am unsure what else to try. Did I need to enable something else in the DJI configuration utility? Or is there something else I should check?

Ashley

Can you post a photo of how you have it connected? Sounds like the gimbal isn't getting the data it needs. Does the gimbal have a green circuit board or a black one? The company I work for (DSLRPros) also provides phone support if you don't want to wait on forum replies.

Hello netphreakak,

Hera are some photos:
The gimbal has a Black PCB board.

Ashley

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 1,066
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 1,713
Is your Gopro fully charged before putting it on the gimbal?

Just to be clear your issue is that your gopro is malfunctioning? or is the gimbal not turning on?

Hello Mike,

The GoPro is fully charged, Last night I had a partial success after I had updated the firmware of the Phantom to 4.02 The GoPro now turns on (only sometimes) when I power up the Phantom. But the gimbal still doesn't activate or do a self calibration.

Hello Netphreak,

I was able to get the ribbon cable through with out much difficulty as I enlarged the hole slightly with a rats tail file. Hopefully these images show you more of what you need to see:

Ashley

Attachments

• WP_20131029_08_24_29_Pro.jpg
    WP_20131029_08_24_29_Pro.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 864
  • WP_20131029_08_24_41_Pro.jpg
    WP_20131029_08_24_41_Pro.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 933
  • WP_20131029_08_26_54_Pro.jpg
    WP_20131029_08_26_54_Pro.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 919
I would say there is something fundamentally wrong with the wiring or how it's connected to your Phantom.

I notice in the video when your GoPro is on it has one battery segment remaining. This means as soon as you power up your Phantom the GoPro should start charging via the gimbal. It clearly doesn't which coupled with the fact the gimbal remains lifeless implies there is no power getting to the Zenmuse.

I would check and double check you wiring as well as the 8 core ribbon cable which can be easily damaged.

Funny I have this EXACT same setup with the Upgrade Kit and Zenmuse. My issue with my gimbal is that it keeps going "limp" for no reason once in awhile when powered on. In your case though, regardless of how much battery life the GoPro has, once you plugin your Phantom you IMMEDIATELY should see the red light go on on your GoPro. I would call your seller and request a return/exchange. Good luck!

I put a pair of multimeters on the pins at the base of the ribbon cable and discovered that there wasn't any potential difference (voltage). So I bought a new upgrade board (put the old one in for warranty) and it now works :D

Thank you to everyone with the suggestions, maybe these will help someone else as well.

have you solve your problems with the gimbal, from your original post i see that you mentioned that you setup the gimbal on the software assistant, for the h3 2d is plug n play with the phantom, so you dont have to set it up in the naza in the case of the phantom....the only setup working for the gimbal is the X1 calibration...

i have mine setup with the original board and a PMU-v2 and its being working tight for months now...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl