New Firmware V01.04.0602

After sitting out the past few days because of high wind I went out to fly again today and had one of the most frustrating days ever trying to get authorization to fly in a "yellow" zone. DJI's website said I was using my browser in private mode and even though I tried four different browsers none of them any longer showed my unlock plans in my account via desktop browser. I then checked in the GO4 app (ipad mini 4) and it showed I had authorization. Then, when I was actually onsite the Authorization data would not sync with the RC or bird. I finally got so frustrated I downgraded to the previous firmware for the bird. Still have the new firmware on the RC. That's getting rolled back tomorrow.

For the life of me I wish DJI would give us an opt out on the GEOcrap. It isn't even applicable for many using a 107.

-- tom

Me too. This is so counterproductive for the growth of their own business. There should be a unlock process for commercial pilots.

Reactions: Jammer
I have recently updated to the new firmware with little issues with the update process. That being said ever since I get these warning about the Radio Channel Quality. In places where I have never had trouble all I get is 2.4Ghz transmission errors. 5Ghz seems fine at the moment. Any ideas.
372637507cb33f022b13832456d3dc80.jpg
It is an issue introduced by the update that added the ability to switch controllers from a Phantom 4 Pro to a Phantom 4 Advanced. This issue surfaced with that update :-(
It is bad too !!! It affects your video transmission integrity, the distance you can fly reliably, and it continually causes the RC unit to default to the 2G frequency ... you have to keep resetting it to the 5G setting every time you restart the RC. It blows !!!

If I am not mistaken, this update includes a fix for the horizon gimbal tilt issue.

That issue has been a problem since the release of the P4P/P4P+ platform and unless you signed up for the beta you were stuck without a fix (and sorry, the beta firmware is a BIG issue, considering once you install it, until there is a "formal" release there is no way to downgrade back to a "factory" firmware without sending it in to DJI, so if they don't issue a formal release you are screwed).

If this *IS* the case, they knew it was going to be enough of a draw to get just about everyone to upgrade to it, thus the reason why the NFZ stuff was such a pivotal inclusion.

This firmware updates a LOT of sub-systems compared to other updates as well. I am more than a little convinced that is where people are running into problems with this update.

Personally I only do updates via Assistant 2 on a "known good" PC/laptop, and I do the update once, reset to factory settings, then do an update again and again another reset to factory settings. I started doing it that way after the very first firmware upgrade that caused the bird to act erratically. After that experience I have never had a firmware update issue doing it twice. I actually think it is the sub-system updates that have the issue (gimbal, camera, etc) compared to the main controller itself.
I'm sure most would happily deal with the horizon drift, if they could only have that as their only problem! The loss of ability to turn off Smart RTH permanently is a huge blow, even if everything else is eventually fixed! That is one change that was intentional, just as they made the Smart RTH even more aggressive, with a nag dialogue box that pops up every 10 seconds, over the FPV in the upper left (like the incessant, false high wind warnings! ) until you turn around! This is designed to cripple flight time to well under 20 minutes so you land with a minimum of 35% remaining battery!

There's been some speculation, but all the release motes say is 'Optimized gimbal performance to improve its stability during flight', which some people have taken to mean gimbal tilt but who knows what it really means, if anything. Regarding a true fix to the horizon tilt, that's been predicted for at least the last four updates and I'll believe it when I see it.
That was the carrot on the stick to get us donkeys to update! :rolleyes:

Me too. This is so counterproductive for the growth of their own business. There should be a unlock process for commercial pilots.
DJI claims it already exists. It works, for DJI, just not for commercial operators! :p

Finally flew the new firmware on m y P4P. Absolutely loving it. P4P is a lot more stable, gimbal is a lot more level. Very happy with this update!
Most would happily trade the less level horizon, to get back Smart RTH control, and the ability to fly where and when they were able to fly before the updates. Flying with GEO off now turns all yellow Authorization Zones into NFZ's and requires a 24 hour advance unlock. Not good!

I guess the previous is v11.30 and it's available hear:

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_4_pro/20170307/GL300E_RC_v1130_20170307.zip

I did the downgrade of my P4P+ (AC & RC). For AC downgrade to V1.03.0509 is easy, I followed DJI instructions on the web. For RC downgrade to V.1.2.0.0 I used above file, the update passed but then followed power up issues. Regarding power up warnings I did factory reset (go into system - factory reset including SD card with small buttons at the edge of the screen). It works now, no power up issues any more....
Anyone downgrade RC with this link?

If I am not mistaken, this update includes a fix for the horizon gimbal tilt issue.

That issue has been a problem since the release of the P4P/P4P+ platform and unless you signed up for the beta you were stuck without a fix (and sorry, the beta firmware is a BIG issue, considering once you install it, until there is a "formal" release there is no way to downgrade back to a "factory" firmware without sending it in to DJI, so if they don't issue a formal release you are screwed).

If this *IS* the case, they knew it was going to be enough of a draw to get just about everyone to upgrade to it, thus the reason why the NFZ stuff was such a pivotal inclusion.

This firmware updates a LOT of sub-systems compared to other updates as well. I am more than a little convinced that is where people are running into problems with this update.

Personally I only do updates via Assistant 2 on a "known good" PC/laptop, and I do the update once, reset to factory settings, then do an update again and again another reset to factory settings. I started doing it that way after the very first firmware upgrade that caused the bird to act erratically. After that experience I have never had a firmware update issue doing it twice. I actually think it is the sub-system updates that have the issue (gimbal, camera, etc) compared to the main controller itself.
Do you mind explaining how updating twice to the latest firmware with factory default reset after each one, has some effect on "sub-system updates"? I'm just simply curious... why not three times? Why is once not enough?

I might just add this technique to my ever growing list of unofficial rituals: like after every firmware update, I refrigerate my P4P (or put it in the freezer with some lucky charm cereal and mint chocolate chip ice cream), run the IMU calibration on a PERFECTLY level surface, run the vision calibration, gimble calibration and compass calibration (the latter which I never do unless travelling over 100 miles from previous calibration). I know some people say this ritual is unnecessary... but it's all magic to me anyway.

Most would happily trade the less level horizon, to get back Smart RTH control, and the ability to fly where and when they were able to fly before the updates. Flying with GEO off now turns all yellow Authorization Zones into NFZ's and requires a 24 hour advance unlock. Not good!

Gadget Guy,

The statement that "yellow authorization zones ...requires 24 hours advance notice to unlock" in incorrect. When I attempted to unlock a Class D yellow authorization area yesterday, I immediately received an unlock code as a text on my mobile telephone. I entered the unlock code into the DJI Go app and was immediately able to fly.

I went back to the same area authorization area today to see how long the authorization code persisted. I was able to launch with the DJI App and did not require a new authorization code. So the DJI authorization persisted at lease 24 hours.

After the DJI Go test, I terminated the application and launched Litchi. With Litchi, I was able to fly beyond the 50m limit. So no issues with Litchi.

My impression is that the new firmware works.

Gadget Guy,

The statement that "yellow authorization zones ...requires 24 hours advance notice to unlock" in incorrect. When I attempted to unlock a Class D yellow authorization area yesterday, I immediately received an unlock code as a text on my mobile telephone. I entered the unlock code into the DJI Go app and was immediately able to fly.

I went back to the same area authorization area today to see how long the authorization code persisted. I was able to launch with the DJI App and did not require a new authorization code. So the DJI authorization persisted at lease 24 hours.

After the DJI Go test, I terminated the application and launched Litchi. With Litchi, I was able to fly beyond the 50m limit. So no issues with Litchi.

Definitely encouraging. I'm sure they are being pro-active to fix any unintended issues. I worry about the intentional ones, like removing the ability to turn Smart RTH off, which are undisclosed changes with far reaching ramifications!

Last edited:
Do you mind explaining how updating twice to the latest firmware with factory default reset after each one, has some effect on "sub-system updates"? I'm just simply curious... why not three times? Why is once not enough?

I might just add this technique to my ever growing list of unofficial rituals: like after every firmware update, I refrigerate my P4P (or put it in the freezer with some lucky charm cereal and mint chocolate chip ice cream), run the IMU calibration on a PERFECTLY level surface, run the vision calibration, gimble calibration and compass calibration (the latter which I never do unless travelling over 100 miles from previous calibration). I know some people say this ritual is unnecessary... but it's all magic to me anyway.
I presume the objective is to make sure no corruption from a prior firmware exists, much like doing a clean install of a new operating system, instead of an upgade on top of the old one.

Reactions: skyeboysteve
Gadget Guy,
. . .

What version of GO 4 are you using? Is it the one just released in the past day? I went through authorization hell with 4.1 and the new firmware.

-- zigs

Hi GG,

I am using 4.1.0. Did not realize there was new version of the Go app. Just checked. You are correct. There is a 4.1.2. Not certain how this changes things.

Don

Hi GG,

I am using 4.1.0. Did not realize there was new version of the Go app. Just checked. You are correct. There is a 4.1.2. Not certain how this changes things.

Don
4.0.0 still has the Smart RTH toggle to turn it off.
Not sure about 4.1.0, but 4.1.2 removes it, and eliminates the hardware acceleration toggle, too, which hurts older tablet devices that need it turned off.

I just updated to 01.04.0602, and now my p4p will only fly 37 mph, doesn't accelerate as fast or climb as fast. Any ideas?

Just flew with app 4.1.2. My interest is in the authorization process since I fly in a yellow zone. With this update the Geo on/off is gone or I can't find it. Now there is a authorization tab that lists your authorizations. I achieved a authorization within the app and internet connected by just arming the aircraft while in the "cannot take off" zone it asks for the authorization prompts then. No going to the website and getting a text with the number etc. funny thing is now dji lists my local airport name as misspelled

Last edited:
I presume the objective is to make sure no corruption from a prior firmware exists, much like doing a clean install of a new operating system, instead of an upgade on top of the old one.

Exactly.

I have been doing systems development since the early 90s and working with hardware systems since the mid-80s, and it definitely seems as if there is a lack of protocol "handshaking" going on with some sub-systems. I don't know if they aren't doing checksum verifications when a sub-system is updated (and I completely understand that some micro-code systems do not have any way to do such validations, but in those cases it should be a matter of reading back the subsystems code and calculating your own, unless some of those systems are "write only" per implementation, which means you do "blind" writes and hope everything is proper), but I do know that you can do an update, it can say it is complete and you end up with a dysfunctional bird. Do a reset and another full firmware flash (or two) and all of a sudden your bird is perfect.

I come from a "real time/mission critical" system background and in that world you cannot have something like this (yet I have had to deal with situations exactly like this all the same, including coming up with protocols to be followed to guarantee a workaround), but in those cases you can usually get enough info from engineers and such to pinpoint the problem and know your workaround is solid. In the case of DJI, good luck, it isn't happening.

End case is that it is known they have an unreliable firmware update process that has the possibility of rendering your bird unstable. I do believe some people even had problems with firmware updates on batteries that ended up rendering the battery worthless, if I am not mistaken.

DJIs stance is "send it in for warranty" and I am pretty sure they don't do anything more than hook the bird/controller up to a standard PC with some special software and force updates to all subsystems in a manner that they know it will do a complete rewrite properly. Why they don't do "complete image" firmware updates on ALL subsystems in each and every firmware update is beyond me. (unless they are worried that they will have even more failures because of shoddy coding/implementation, or if they are worried about bandwidth in regards to the size of the updates, which would be foolish)

I am sure they have diagnostics that test each and every subsystems function in every way and kick back a "all good" or "this or that failed" kind of code. Too bad they don't release that to the public, but at the same time, it is known that anywhere from 20-60% of all consumer electronics have one or more "problems" and the manufacturers leave it up to the consumer to "determine if the problem affects them" and then deals with them on a one-by-one basis as warranty claims. If they released a diagnostic tool they would have to deal with a deluge of claims as everyone figured out they have a problem with this or that, when in 80% of the cases they won't run into the problem and won't know about it. Especially if their firmware updates "introduce errors" it would be a fiasco for a company like DJI.

Last edited:
You just need to be signed in to you DJI Go4 app. No internet in necessary to fly.
Hey. I am concerned about the new firmware. Can you elaborate more on it? As the previous user mentioned, I too fly in remote areas (I am at the moment in the Amazon rainforrest) and there is no internet connection. I have the warning sign asking me to upgrade the firmware version of the aircraft but with the restrictions mentioned (no flight over 50mt etc without being logged in into my dji account) the upgrade would not be convenient right?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20