New Firmware V01.04.0602

I presume the objective is to make sure no corruption from a prior firmware exists, much like doing a clean install of a new operating system, instead of an upgade on top of the old one.
Is there a way of reinstalling firmware on the RC? DJI assistant doesn't offer anything more than a factory reset for the RC. (I see there's a file you can download for the plus version, but not sure if it's compatible with the non-plus version). The secret hamburger menu button only lets you downgrade which I'm not sure if that would defeat the purpose even when followed by a factory reset and installing the latest firmware again.

Last edited:
it is known that anywhere from 20-60% of all consumer electronics have one or more "problems" and the manufacturers leave it up to the consumer to "determine if the problem affects them" and then deals with them on a one-by-one basis as warranty claims.
So true! :cool:

Re-enable flight modes in the main menu. In effect S mode is disabled until you do that.

I swear I checked everything out on Monday or Tuesday and my bird was up to date.

Go flying with my son today (MP + P4P) and get the dreaded firmware update. Luckily there was a cell tower nearby and the downloads were fast but the P4P update itself was quite slow. Go to fly and the video is totally borked. Find that I also need to f/w update the controller. Of course! Sheesh. Wasted half an hour on this crap with the batteries being used too.

Really need to check f/w before leaving the house.

I'm curious, with everything working fine, and all the posts that you and others have made about the firmware issues, why did you proceed with the update?

My drone notes the firmware is ready to install, but I ignore the request. I'm waiting till everyone posts that it runs without a hitch.

If you press and hold this icon on iOS for 10 seconds and let go a special firmware menu pops up to downgrade the remote.
Apparently not so on the + controller, it is not anywhere to be found :-(. Any idea where I go on that device to get to the previous versions of firmware?

got my controller back from DJI yesterday.
haven't opened the box yet.
afraid of what I will be getting into.
and not being able to get out of it.

I'm curious, with everything working fine, and all the posts that you and others have made about the firmware issues, why did you proceed with the update?

My drone notes the firmware is ready to install, but I ignore the request. I'm waiting till everyone posts that it runs without a hitch.
DJI has a lot of work to do and A LOT OF TESTING to do before they release a corrected update ... one can only hope it will be better than the most recent debacle... don't update yet !!!

Is there a way of reinstalling firmware on the RC? DJI assistant doesn't offer anything more than a factory reset for the RC. (I see there's a file you can download for the plus version, but not sure if it's compatible with the non-plus version). The secret hamburger menu button only lets you downgrade which I'm not sure if that would defeat the purpose even when followed by a factory reset and installing the latest firmware again.
Can't find that "secret hamburger" item anywhere on the + controller ... any ideas where to look on that device? It is NOT where it is on an iPhone or iPad in use as a controller ... the Plus controller doesn't display the "secret" ICON anywhere on it's screens that I know of. If anyone knows where it is on the Plus controller, please share the location/method to get the downgrade option as a choice. I would like to put the RC unit at V 01.03.0509 .... the same as my AC is now.

Last edited:
DJI has a lot of work to do and A LOT OF TESTING to do before they release a corrected update ... one can only hope it will be better than the most recent debacle... don't update yet !!!

DJI has been a sh!t show for software for years so holding out hope that they'd correct that in the next release is, well, a bit optimistic. I mean it would be great if they somehow improved there programming skills before the next release, but i'll not be holding my breath.

Brian

Reactions: PhantomPhreak
DJI has been a sh!t show for software for years so holding out hope that they'd correct that in the next release is, well, a bit optimistic. I mean it would be great if they somehow improved there programming skills before the next release, but i'll not be holding my breath.

Brian
It does seem like this most recent update "broke" a LOT more things than previous updates have ... it is VERY obvious it was not well tested !!! any idea where I can get the firmware released in May, just prior to the one just released? V 01.03.0509 is the one I am looking for.

Just tried the required firmware update - was reluctant to do so but totally locked out of flying until update. Like so many others who have commented, froze at 99%. Reconnected to laptop and dji assistant as opposed to following their instructions for using IOS device. Now I am downgrading to the previous version in hopes I will be able to stay with it without their warnings. Sucks.

To the previous entry- the version you mention is on the dji assistant site online and am currently reinstalling it

I just got the notice from DJI of a need to upgrade firmware on the drone and RC and came here to read through. It's hard to tell who is being affected by this - Android vs iOS, P4P vs P4P+ so was hoping someone could answer if they have had trouble with:

iOS on a newer device (this or past generation; I'll use an iPad Pro 10.5) and the P4P. I learned from flying with an iPad Air that DJI's software demands a lot of the hardware on the tablet.

Thanks!

I just scanned through the thread and it seems this firmware update generated the following problems?
1. Weak RC signal, easy to get disconnected with the AC.
2. Camera calibrating issue.
3. Laggy live video feed
4. Smart RTH problems?

I flew my bird for the first time (after firmware upgrade) on last Sunday and did not notice problem #1, #3 and #4. Am I lucky or does it only happen to old birds? I'm a newbie and don't know if I should roll back to the previous version. Anyone can suggest how I can see those problems? Thanks.

I am going to calibrate the camera to see if it can pass 50%...

Update: I calibrated the camera yesterday with the latest firmware, it finished at 100% without any problem. I guess not all birds have problems after upgrading.

I found out that after my download on the drone hung up at 99% that I needed to update the RC and then it completed the install on the drone. I then rebooted everything and my complete install was complete. I did it all through the DJI app on my iPad 4 mini and wi-fi.

Most would happily trade the less level horizon, to get back Smart RTH control, and the ability to fly where and when they were able to fly before the updates. Flying with GEO off now turns all yellow Authorization Zones into NFZ's and requires a 24 hour advance unlock. Not good!

I don't think I've ever used the RTH feature. Against the law to fly that far away anyways.

Smart RTH isn't just based on distance, but the altitude RTH is set at. I noticed this when I was flying near a rather high hill that I wanted my P3P to be sure to clear if I ever lost contact with it. Even when it was hovering 10 feet from home position; smart RTH would kick in at 45% battery--not fun when you're standing next to a lake, and it decides to land. That being said, I've never had the nerve to turn the feature off either.

Reactions: GadgetGuy

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT