New Firmware Released for Phantom Vision

Pull_Up said:
Had a chance to snap something and open it up yet, Studiowise? Keen for your pro opinion on the quality of the raw images compared to the overly compressed jpg...

Only a photo of my desk! I need to get it up in the air to see some fences, houses, cars and vegetation not my Wacom, a coffee cup and various USB cables!
14 bit depth bodes well though

Pull_Up said:
Just point it out of the window, man!

:lol:

I can't!
I edit in a closed off box with daylight balanced bulbs and grey walls - colour correction I can do - daylight & windows I can't!
Maybe i will have to leave my studio for a bit and refill that coffee cup

Noël said:
Pull_Up... Maybe you should do a Youtube howto on how to update :)

I can't as I won't be able to update until later. Can you not tell by the tense tone in my typing?!

By the way, any of you who have updated (but haven't bothered to make videos, tut) if you select raw as the photo type does it still produce a jpeg as well? If so is it still as compressed as before I wonder?

I thought I updated but don't see it. If this is a duplicate, I apologize.

Success. I just had to reboot after Adobe update. What is interesting is that raw not supported in burst mode.

What a pain!

OK, firstly it works. The camera now produces a file with a .dng extension which is read by ACR

2014-01-20%2014_42_55-ACR.jpg

When set to RAW it does create a .jpg as well.
Also as mentioned before. The shutter stays closed for some time when tacking a picture in RAW format!

I spent ages trying to get it to update but to no avail. I looked at the original .bin file I had from the last update and saw it was just firmware.bin so I formatted a new card, renamed today's file to firmware.bin and tried again. This time it worked, but it's probably taken me almost an hour to get it going from start to finish.

Anyway, as I said, now the files are saved to the card by the camera as .dng files and once you get them into ACR they work just like any other RAW file (obviously)

Bucking frilliant!

So, now I have to go out and take a proper photo!

Pull_Up said:
Did it used to do both when it was shooting the DJI raw

Yes, it did.

there's no option that I can see for RAW+JPEG, your choice is either JPEG or RAW, but when you choose RAW the camera shoots RAW+JPEG

I use Lightroom 5 and I have always been able to see the GPS location. When you open a batch of images there is a map icon on the thumbnails if you click on it it will show you a map with a tag indicating where the image was taken. Has anyone tried a faster micro SD card to see if it improves write times my camera seems pretty slow and since the raw files are about 10X the size of jpegs I assume the problem is only going to get worse with RAW files.

Pull_Up said:
Ah, so it's either/or then. Did it used to do both when it was shooting the DJI raw - I thought it did but might be mistaken... Never tried it as didn't have anything to open it up with before, of course.

It always has created both RAW + JPG

Here is a very quick result - shot out of studio door and a residential house opposite - house + car + blown sky

hasten to add - NO EDITING DONE! just auto settings, RAW, hand held, no GPS, straight out of camera
and i have done a 100% crop on the car and its as grainy as hell. I have done no correction and just brought it straight in from ACR.

I would love for someone else to do the same because I think my camera is duff - can only be convinced by someone if they do the same as i have above.

Attachments

• DJI00011-compare_crop100%.jpg
    DJI00011-compare_crop100%.jpg
    568.9 KB · Views: 382
Pull_Up said:
They have corrected the update .zip and renamed it to just "firmware.bin" so subsequent updaters should be able to stick the file on the card and go.

Do we never learn about DJI and being early adopters?! ;)

Maybe they want to hire you as the new CEO :)

iResq said:
Grain is always going to be an issue with the tiny sensor. I hope people are not expecting day and night difference.

nope, its always been grainy, i just wanted more data to be able to try and do something about it.
As yet, all the people ive seen who are 'blown' away by the jpg's have yet to post one cropped to 100% so i can compare with my "high end camera" (quote from DJI)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing