New Firmware Released for Phantom Vision

iResq said:
Grain is always going to be an issue with the tiny sensor. I hope people are not expecting day and night difference.

not having a pop, promise :)

4384 x 3288 is not really a tiny sensor. Ive got digital cameras from year dot (i could start a museum) and some of the really tiny sensors in some of those create cleaner images thanmy FC200.

A plea to others, please post 100% crops (or links to downloadable files) so i can see if its just mine.

The files after the update definitely show more detail, I think the noise can be cleaned up to a great extent in Lightroom. It looks like the lens profile for Lightroom/Photohop doesn't work with the new files, also write time for a raw file when taking the pictures are almost 10 seconds which will slow thing down when taking pictures. No free lunch but a definite improvement.

Studiowise said:
iResq said:
Grain is always going to be an issue with the tiny sensor. I hope people are not expecting day and night difference.

not having a pop, promise :)

4384 x 3288 is not really a tiny sensor. Ive got digital cameras from year dot (i could start a museum) and some of the really tiny sensors in some of those create cleaner images thanmy FC200.

A plea to others, please post 100% crops (or links to downloadable files) so i can see if its just mine.

Actually, it is a tiny sensor - just claims to be a higher Mb resolution. The image size does not reflect the physical sensor size - just the density of the chip's receptors.

This is the camera Mb war. The more dense they make these sensors, the more issues there are with noise etc. My original Canon D30 was just 1.4Mb (I think) but produces some amazingly clean images - it had a full frame sensor. Took a long time for the 5D range to produce stuff as clean.

Give me a 12Mb sensor but with large receptors nicely spaced over a 24Mb camera with a 4/3 sensor packed to the gunnels.

Update worked fine. Opened DNG files in Camera RAW. Very pleased with the improved dynamic range. However, the DJI lens correction profile is not availbe in Camera RAW when the DNG file is opened. If I open the coresponding JPG image in Camera RAW the profile is available. Once the DNG is opened in Photoshop, the lens profile can be applied through the filter menu. Anyone with ideas on the what's up with the lens profile in Camera RAW?

Give me a 12Mb sensor but with large receptors nicely spaced over a 24Mb camera with a 4/3 sensor packed to the gunnels.

Hear hear! :)

It's unfortunate that pixel density / sensor size is not used as a differentiator... only 'megapixels'. The output resolution might be a gazillion megapixels, but if it's using a tiny sensor and/or interpolating from a small native pixel size, you're going to get poor images.

I would be very grateful if somebody could post a 'raw' DNG file (not a tiff or jpeg or anything) so that I could try some of my usual post-processing workflow on it...

kloader said:
However, the DJI lens correction profile is not availbe in Camera RAW when the DNG file is opened. If I open the coresponding JPG image in Camera RAW the profile is available. Once the DNG is opened in Photoshop, the lens profile can be applied through the filter menu. Anyone with ideas on the what's up with the lens profile in Camera RAW?
I believe this is because of the following line in the LCP file:
Code:
stCamera:CameraRawProfile="False"
You could try creating a new copy of the .lcp file with the above line amended to ...="True", and it should then work in ACR, I believe... ;)

Bunyarra said:
Actually, it is a tiny sensor - just claims to be a higher Mb resolution. The image size does not reflect the physical sensor size - just the density of the chip's receptors.

This is the camera Mb war. The more dense they make these sensors, the more issues there are with noise etc. My original Canon D30 was just 1.4Mb (I think) but produces some amazingly clean images - it had a full frame sensor. Took a long time for the 5D range to produce stuff as clean.

I agree in full, that's kinda where i was heading when i referred to some of my old digital kit. It was the quality and ability of the light receptors i was meaning gave cleaner images. It also comes down to your definition of tiny - i have some security pin-hole cameras that have tiny sensors. I have some camera with extremely dense receptors but through interpolation and clever use of split sensors, they made extremely usable image files. They sold this as a "high end" camera able to shoot RAW + JPG - we're getting there!
I would still like a comparative shot from someone so i can compare to mine!

Interestingly, when you transfer the photos to your phone's memory using the app it does not appear to transfer the .dng files. You have to take the SD card out of the camera and put it in your computer.

Edit: I have always used the app in the past to download photos and videos to my phone as it renames the files and uses the date in the name. If I copy straight off the card then I just get DJI and an incremental number. I will have to change the way I organise things :|

pault said:
Interestingly, when you transfer the photos to your phone's memory using the app it does not appear to transfer the .dng files. You have to take the SD card out of the camera and put it in your computer.

Not surprising given the file size.

GainfulShrimp said:
kloader said:
However, the DJI lens correction profile is not availbe in Camera RAW when the DNG file is opened. If I open the coresponding JPG image in Camera RAW the profile is available. Once the DNG is opened in Photoshop, the lens profile can be applied through the filter menu. Anyone with ideas on the what's up with the lens profile in Camera RAW?
I believe this is because of the following line in the LCP file:
Code:
stCamera:CameraRawProfile="False"
You could try creating a new copy of the .lcp file with the above line amended to ...="True", and it should then work in ACR, I believe... ;)
I gave it a shot and changed the setting, that didn't do it. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Anyone else find the tiny slider in Lightroom 5 is maxed out in magenta - no room to adjust. Think they have a bit of DNG tweaking still to do.

Not too bad - the DNG files definitely need work. The Topaz Denoise routines seem to do a better job of cleaning the files up than either LR or Nik Define.

Sadly, the existing Lightroom profile is coded for JPGs only I think - does not work for the DNG files.

Studiowise said:
I would still like a comparative shot from someone so i can compare to mine!

Here you go (an unprcessed 100% crop in PSD format that you can download)

http://www.painting-photography-france.com/phantom/DJI00013-100percent-crop.psd

This the original image

DJI00013-unprocessed.jpg

and this is my quickly processed 100% crop from the centre

DJI00013-noise-reduced-sharpened.jpg

Personally, I think the camera produces poor results. I'm really disappointed. My wife's Canon Ixus 95 from February 2009 takes much better images and that too has a 1/2.3" sensor. The fact that her camera is only 10mp and the Vision is 14mp reinforces the argument that anything over 8mp - 10 mp in a sensor this size proves the law of diminishing returns. I should have known better. It takes a lot of work to get anything halfway decent out of these DNG images :-(

Oh, and that's my house just to the right in the background! :D

Bunyarra said:
Anyone else find the tiny slider in Lightroom 5 is maxed out in magenta - no room to adjust. Think they have a bit of DNG tweaking still to do.

Not too bad - the DNG files definitely need work. The Topaz Denoise routines seem to do a better job of cleaning the files up than either LR or Nik Define.

Sadly, the existing Lightroom profile is coded for JPGs only I think - does not work for the DNG files.

Yes, same here but I wanted to try a real test using the other Vision white balance settings before writing it off as unusable!
Click AUTO, its more Alien that Auto

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1