New firmware for P3S?

Today I flew after update. Keep loosing controller - drone connection about 50m altitude and 300m distance. Didn't happen before. I really wonder why.

Did the update this afternoon. It was a little quirky in that at times it said that latest firmware was installed. I knew better and kept reloading the app until I could download the update. It went smoothly. It seems the GPS sensitivity is improved. I normally don't see any satellites indoors, but after the upgrade it was showing 5. I hope to do a test flight tomorrow, but the boss is hinting strongly about painting the bathroom. She bought me the drone, so I guess I have to throw her a bone. :)

Sent from my SM-P600 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: PhantomMenace65
My experience with updating has been awful. First i tried updating it failed then comes the loud beeping noise, awful. While the beeping continues the gimbal goes insane.. touched the part of the gimbal and burnt my hand because of how hot it was. Found this forum and figured it out without blowing up lol

Did the update this afternoon. It was a little quirky in that at times it said that latest firmware was installed. I knew better and kept reloading the app until I could download the update. It went smoothly. It seems the GPS sensitivity is improved. I normally don't see any satellites indoors, but after the upgrade it was showing 5. I hope to do a test flight tomorrow, but the boss is hinting strongly about painting the bathroom. She bought me the drone, so I guess I have to throw her a bone. :)

Sent from my SM-P600 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yeah I noticed the same thing in my location

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Just upgraded firmware on my P3S all went well. Camera got a bit warm buts thats normal.

The iPhone app told me there was new firmware available just today, can't see a manual download any where.
I did just read there is a possibility that 1.7.9 damages the hardware and hence the no rc signal issue. Dji are asking folks to RMA the units. 1.8.10 does not seem to fix this issue.

Yep i had to RMA mine... Happened just after beginning of December last year, and it wasn't going to be back in time for Christmas. Oh the joys of living down the bottom of the world ;)
The 1.7.9 update did damage the hardware on mine, but they provided no details on what went wrong, just said "Replaced RC Board".
Just sold my P3S today.
Ended up getting a P3P, and it is seriously worth the upgrade.

My update failed at 40% and now just get a loud annoying beep. Reformatted SD card no help.
When upgrade failed it told me to try again but app does not give option to upgrade now.

Mine did the exact same thing then told me to restart both controller and aircraft.
So I did... My P3S let out the most annoying, ear piercing Defcon 1 like alarms I've ever heard.. For nearly a half hour straight...

this fixed mine with same problem.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Nice, great info --- had a similar issue and was able to fix it by deleting the dji app and re-installing it. That took me back to the update and was able to complete the process on the second attempt. Now experiencing some chop/breaks in the video, so not sure the update was worth it if I had it to do over again.

Here I go again, first had to reinstall DJI app like last time to get the download prompt. Beeping like crazy while it updates. Sounds like its protesting the update!!! Oh, sigh. I assume I will have to do all calibrations again right?

I'm scared. This is why I don't upgrade. Have not done ios or firmware update since June. Flew a record 4 miles away and will stick with where I am at.
So tempted to upgrade, but don't want to mess up a good thing trying to make it better with new firmware.

Is it important at this time to do the new update at this tim? I flew my drone with out the update and everything seams fime. I dont want to have any problems if I download

For those of us that are not familiar with the "DJI way", and scared to proceed not knowing EXACTLY what to expect, with the P3S, you get a notification on your phone or other device that there is an upgrade available. The first process is for the upgrade to be downloaded to your phone/device. After that is finished you turn on the controller and P3S, connect wirelessly to your device as when using the Go App with the P3S, and push the button to start the upgrade. It takes about 30 minutes as advertised. My first try the camera freaked out and did some serious jiggling ad the 48% point, then the upgrade failed. Upon exiting everything and starting over, step by step as before, the P3S began a very loud constant beeping sequence. The red light on the battery started flashing. At about 48% the light on the camera finally began flashing red and green as advertised, and the rest completed satisfactorily. If you choose to watch the whole process you will see some strange behaviors during the last 50% of the process. Just let it go.

Mine acted the same way and I followed exactly what you did and it completed fine. The beeping was annoying as everything though.

No issues. Seems like better satellite connection.

I noticed this also. It locked onto 10 satellites sitting on my kitchen table. I never did a range test before but took it out and flew it after upgrade and it flew just fine.

Last edited:
I updated mine this morning after getting the in app prompt, downloaded it and it ran for around 5 minutes and said it was complete and to restart which I didn't because it was clear it was still updating so I left it for a further 20 mins until it said it was complete again and touch wood all is good, reached a new personal best for myself of 200m high and 400m distance and all seemed well apart from the occasional weak video signal message which I had previously but it was still viewable just a little choppy at times, had it 3 weeks and for a first time drone owner the P3S exceed's my expectations so can only imagine how good the more expensive models are.

The iPhone app told me there was new firmware available just today, can't see a manual download any where.
I did just read there is a possibility that 1.7.9 damages the hardware and hence the no rc signal issue. Dji are asking folks to RMA the units. 1.8.10 does not seem to fix this issue.

I updated to 1.8.10 should I return the drone ?

You know, I wonder if what's happening with this update is what happens when Apple releases an iOS update and everyone attempts to update around the same time, causing a lot of congestion and issues similar those reported here. Just a thought. It might just clear up some as the congestion dissipates.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic