New firmware for P3S?

For those of us that are not familiar with the "DJI way", and scared to proceed not knowing EXACTLY what to expect, with the P3S, you get a notification on your phone or other device that there is an upgrade available. The first process is for the upgrade to be downloaded to your phone/device. After that is finished you turn on the controller and P3S, connect wirelessly to your device as when using the Go App with the P3S, and push the button to start the upgrade. It takes about 30 minutes as advertised. My first try the camera freaked out and did some serious jiggling ad the 48% point, then the upgrade failed. Upon exiting everything and starting over, step by step as before, the P3S began a very loud constant beeping sequence. The red light on the battery started flashing. At about 48% the light on the camera finally began flashing red and green as advertised, and the rest completed satisfactorily. If you choose to watch the whole process you will see some strange behaviors during the last 50% of the process. Just let it go.

Reactions: PhantomMenace65
My update failed at 40% and now just get a loud annoying beep. Reformatted SD card no help.
When upgrade failed it told me to try again but app does not give option to upgrade now.

Hey there, Same thing happened to me, I formatted a memory card put the old 1.7.90 bin file in there let the helicopter update itself back to that firmware
grabbed a different iPad and as soon as I turned on everything the app prompt me again to upgrade , second time worked fine. [emoji4]

Reactions: The Drone Ranger
I saw the notice on my tablet that I use for flying, and followed the prompts. It worked as it should, and I will fly it as soon as the thermometer shows +32 F.

Tobby

Just updated my bird. It failed on the first attempt at about 51% and the loud annoying beeping started. So I powered down everything and started again. The bird kept on beeping and no lights on the bird were flashing until I got to about 75%, after that the lights started flashing and the beeping ceased and the install finished.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I updated mine yesterday. Worked on the first try. Took it out today and flew for about 20ish minutes. No noticeable changes.

Reactions: DaveD
Did mine tonight - first time I have done one. Competed successfully, by lost RC link on reboot (kept video). After a few minutes of panicking, I researched the forum and discovered it is common to have to relink the controller after an upgrade. Did so, and all go again.

This forum rocks!

However, reason I updated was to see if my poor range was fixed - it wasn't. So, I pulled the trigger on an Argtek, which appears to best suit my needs.

When upgrading the second battery, I found that I had to repeat the whole process of getting the prompt on my device and then applying it as if the whole system was in need of updating. Just putting the battery in is not going to do anything. The process only took a few minutes to upgrade once started since obviously only the second battery needed the upgrade. All good.

I got the notification on the app last afternoon, however my batt was below 50% so it wouldn't begin for me after I had downloaded the update to my phone.

Will try tonight with a full batt, I had previously performed an update when I first got it, will see if this goes as smooth as that one did.

hi guys, do i need update controller and battery too ? I just finish update with IOS app.

No issues. Seems like better satellite connection. But I haven't flown since sep. last year so could be unrelated

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

hi guys, do i need update controller and battery too ? I just finish update with IOS app.
The update handles the bird, controller, and the battery that is in the bird at the time, so there is no additional step except for additional batteries if you have them.

yes I have one additional battery do I have run update again ? I wonder how coz the app will not tell me I need to update coz I already did. Thanks

yes I have one additional battery do I have run update again ? I wonder how coz the app will not tell me I need to update coz I already did. Thanks
After the FW update, shut everything down, replace your battery, power up, battery will be updated, LED will go green (or yellow) when done, rinse and repeat for each additional battery

Not true in my case. I did what you suggested and it just sat there for 30 minutes. Tried with controller on and off, nothing. Only when I connected the device and waited 3 or 4 minutes did the system recognize that the battery was an old version of the firmware and the update popped up on my device.

I had to initiate the upgrade for the second battery from the remote. I think the Phantom will only do it itself if you install the upgrade file on the SD card? Or is that only the A and P models?

Either way, the upgrade was much faster this time as I assume it was only doing the battery.

Out of interest, are there any issues if you were to keep the batteries at different levels of firmware?

Not true in my case. I did what you suggested and it just sat there for 30 minutes. Tried with controller on and off, nothing. Only when I connected the device and waited 3 or 4 minutes did the system recognize that the battery was an old version of the firmware and the update popped up on my device.
When I said "Power Up" I was being lazy ;) I meant to turn everything on controller, drone,etc..... Sounds like you got it anyway so all is good :)

Full batt now, cranked up xmitter and quad, began update, percent counter went all the way, no issues, completed, restarted and re-connected to the quad, no issues.

Will try flying this weekend.

When I said "Power Up" I was being lazy ;) I meant to turn everything on controller, drone,etc..... Sounds like you got it anyway so all is good :)
Absolutely, all is lovely, yes. Sorry for the mis-interpretation.

This is all pretty out of control that the geniuses that designed and built these things chose not to provide the same kind of owner/user manual that they did for the NAZA M control system. That system I know, and have been tempted to pug the P3S into that desktop system, if it would even communicate...I think it would.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor