NEW Drone LAWS & Rules 2018 - UK

Reaction score
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Using the MEN article as his source.... which has at least 2 mistake in it.

If people arn't sure then just go here - Introduction | Dronesafe
Don't get your info from news articles who can't even proof read an article before publishing it. If you're spreading information, make sure it's correct.

Using the MEN article as his source.... which has at least 2 mistake in it.

If people arn't sure then just go here - Introduction | Dronesafe
Don't get your info from news articles who can't even proof read an article before publishing it. If you're spreading information, make sure it's correct.

i use this pdf.
http://dronesafe.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Dronecode.pdf

This also states 150feet not Meters which you are suggesting?

i think the confusion is its 150feet from people but then 150meters from a crowd

on second glance i can see what you are suggesting on distances has been stated correctly on both the article and the video, please can you point them out for myself to ensure i understand correctly and also for others.

Thanks

Sorry i was a bit short, there's just been a few half assed articles written about this new drone stuff. I think they've edited that story too as i'm sure there was more wrong when i read it last night, which is a good thing.

Anyway yeah, they've put "Avoid flying 150ft near crowds with more than 1000 people present" and it should be 150 metres not feet.

oh no its cool ha, it is confusing, its like how they say we need to use apps to plan flying, i took this as we can not longer fly manual and need to use waypoints only which sounded rubbish

Sorry i was a bit short, there's just been a few half assed articles written about this new drone stuff. I think they've edited that story too as i'm sure there was more wrong when i read it last night, which is a good thing.

Anyway yeah, they've put "Avoid flying 150ft near crowds with more than 1000 people present" and it should be 150 metres not feet.
I don’t understand how they would write feet. You don’t use feet for measuring do you?

The CAA only tend to refer to feet for altitude.

I've no idea why they've used feet here for distance.
That’s really messed up. No wonder there is a chance to get information mix up.
In the 60’s they said the US. was going metric. I wish they did. It would end a lot of confusion. I had to buy two sets of tools. There have been major engineering mistakes because of that.

Reactions: Green Phantom
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hi Andy, Thanks for popping up a video to help let people know about the new regulations. However, I thought I'd help clear a couple of things up for you.

Regarding the use of apps to plan your flights, the CAA aren't suggesting that you are now obliged to use way points for pre-planned automated flight. The apps they are referring to are ones which allow you to check the airspace you are planning to fly in for suitability. This will be looking at the class of airspace you are in, proximity to things like airports and congested areas, and also temporary flight restrictions issued via NOTAMs. There are a number of apps around these days which offer all of this in a nice neat easy to understand GUI so this really isn't an issue. It is to be honest something everyone should be doing anyway, and it's basically just a way to make sure you are flying somewhere you are actually legally allowed to do so. Now that the recommendation of using an app to plan your flight is in the law, if you get stopped by the police because you are flying in an illegal location, you can no longer just plead ignorance as the law states that you should be checking before takeoff.

The reason for the registration deadline not being until late next year is primarily to benefit us as operators, but also to ensure they don't become overloaded too. If they had set the deadline for a couple of weeks or a month away, they'd have thousands of applications flooding in to take the online safety test which, whilst can be mostly automated, will still involve some manual moderation, and even more applications for drone registration. It also gives the public a chance to get everything in order so again, when it comes into force, there really is no excuse for not complying. So up until the 30th November 2019, the registration of drones and test certificates will not be enforced, as they will not be active law until that date. Effectively, this is just a big heads-up on that.

On the whole, there aren't too many new rules here. They are just further enforcing what was already in place with government law enforcement stating specific penalties for breach of said laws.

Wow, did I really read that quote correctly? “ Avoid flying 150 feet near crowds with more than 1000 people present.” ? Feet or meters didn’t hit me as much as the ‘1000 people present’ did.

So, what are you supposed to do.....count heads? LMAO.

So it’s ok to fly over 999 people? LMAO again. Even kids, soccer games, concert events......if you count heads before you launch. ?

I thought here in the US it was screwy. Nope. You win. [emoji471]

Thanks for sharing this. Thought I was gonna bust a gut laughing so hard......made my day.

Hi Andy, Thanks for popping up a video to help let people know about the new regulations. However, I thought I'd help clear a couple of things up for you.

Regarding the use of apps to plan your flights, the CAA aren't suggesting that you are now obliged to use way points for pre-planned automated flight. The apps they are referring to are ones which allow you to check the airspace you are planning to fly in for suitability. This will be looking at the class of airspace you are in, proximity to things like airports and congested areas, and also temporary flight restrictions issued via NOTAMs. There are a number of apps around these days which offer all of this in a nice neat easy to understand GUI so this really isn't an issue. It is to be honest something everyone should be doing anyway, and it's basically just a way to make sure you are flying somewhere you are actually legally allowed to do so. Now that the recommendation of using an app to plan your flight is in the law, if you get stopped by the police because you are flying in an illegal location, you can no longer just plead ignorance as the law states that you should be checking before takeoff.

The reason for the registration deadline not being until late next year is primarily to benefit us as operators, but also to ensure they don't become overloaded too. If they had set the deadline for a couple of weeks or a month away, they'd have thousands of applications flooding in to take the online safety test which, whilst can be mostly automated, will still involve some manual moderation, and even more applications for drone registration. It also gives the public a chance to get everything in order so again, when it comes into force, there really is no excuse for not complying. So up until the 30th November 2019, the registration of drones and test certificates will not be enforced, as they will not be active law until that date. Effectively, this is just a big heads-up on that.

On the whole, there aren't too many new rules here. They are just further enforcing what was already in place with government law enforcement stating specific penalties for breach of said laws.

Great reply, lots of information and cleared things up for me.

Really appreciate the time to write out such a post

Wow, did I really read that quote correctly? “ Avoid flying 150 feet near crowds with more than 1000 people present.” ? Feet or meters didn’t hit me as much as the ‘1000 people present’ did.

So, what are you supposed to do.....count heads? LMAO.

So it’s ok to fly over 999 people? LMAO again. Even kids, soccer games, concert events......if you count heads before you launch. ?

I thought here in the US it was screwy. Nope. You win. [emoji471]

Thanks for sharing this. Thought I was gonna bust a gut laughing so hard......made my day.

nah, you aren't expected to count, you are expected to use common sense (I see why that's humorous to some Americans) - a thousand people is an arbitrary figure that saves any confusion by using the words 'large or medium' - as we know, drone operators seem to have enough trouble understanding rules that have even one degree left open to interpretation so placing a figure in law means that should someone be prosecuted it makes life a lot easier to judge whether or not they are guilty. 1000 is illegal, 999 isn't but the onus would be on the individual to prove that there were less than 1000 people involved in the event. As most events will boost their attendance figures that really isn't going to be easy

As for the US being screwy - yeah, you win
The Weirdest Law We Could Track Down in All 50 States

nah, you aren't expected to count, you are expected to use common sense (I see why that's humorous to some Americans) - a thousand people is an arbitrary figure that saves any confusion by using the words 'large or medium' - as we know, drone operators seem to have enough trouble understanding rules that have even one degree left open to interpretation so placing a figure in law means that should someone be prosecuted it makes life a lot easier to judge whether or not they are guilty. 1000 is illegal, 999 isn't but the onus would be on the individual to prove that there were less than 1000 people involved in the event. As most events will boost their attendance figures that really isn't going to be easy

As for the US being screwy - yeah, you win
The Weirdest Law We Could Track Down in All 50 States
DON’T HI - JACK THIS POST.
Strange British Laws - Britain Explorer
We both are weird. Maybe it is because our roots come from the UK. Lol

Now that is a bummer! How am I expected to get home while intoxicated if I cannot drive my cow? :confused:

Oh! Well, prime steaks for sale. Anyone interested? :)
Yea, I Googled it and one law said, you can shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow anytime but not on Sunday. Ooooh, hope that one is out of the books by now.

Reactions: Neon Euc
Yea, I Googled it and one law said, you can shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow anytime but not on Sunday. Ooooh, hope that one is out of the books by now.
In Canada it's legal to marry a fish lol it's true

Do you still need a TV licence ....I remember black and white was cheaper than a colour licence.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic