NEW DJI GO app for IOS released!

First you put your phone in airplane mode, THEN press wi-fi and link to your phantom.

Ah I see! I suppose if the cellphone signal is causing interference then this might help? It would still mean things are not working in the way they were designed to! Thanks for the idea, I might give it a try while awaiting the release of a working iOS app

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Ah I see! I suppose if the cellphone signal is causing interference then this might help? It would still mean things are not working in the way they were designed to! Thanks for the idea, I might give it a try while awaiting the release of a working iOS app

The cellular signal won't be causing interference - the cellular bands are nowhere near the 2.4 GHz band that the aircraft uses to communicate with the RC. The mobile device wifi is more likely to be an issue - 2.4 GHz wifi is in the same band.

The cellular signal won't be causing interference - the cellular bands are nowhere near the 2.4 GHz band that the aircraft uses to communicate with the RC. The mobile device wifi is more likely to be an issue - 2.4 GHz wifi is in the same band.
Not entirely true. All signals have harmonics. If the cell phone is at 800MHz, the third harmonic falls at, that's right, 2.4GHz! Harmonics on commercial equipment are usually suppressed pretty well, but... I agree it's likely the WiFi but the Standards require WiFi to be on to link to the A/C. Not sure what the answer is.

Not entirely true. All signals have harmonics. If the cell phone is at 800MHz, the third harmonic falls at, that's right, 2.4GHz! Harmonics on commercial equipment are usually suppressed pretty well, but... I agree it's likely the WiFi but the Standards require WiFi to be on to link to the A/C. Not sure what the answer is.

If harmonics of low-power cellular signals are making it through the front end of the DJI receivers then something is seriously wrong with their RF design.

I don't understand your comment about the wifi - there is no requirement for mobile device wifi to be enabled to connect to the RC or for the RC to connect to the aircraft.

They just updated the Go app on iOS this morning to fix those issues others were having. Just a bug in app fix this time.

If harmonics of low-power cellular signals are making it through the front end of the DJI receivers then something is seriously wrong with their RF design.

I don't understand your comment about the wifi - there is no requirement for mobile device wifi to be enabled to connect to the RC or for the RC to connect to the aircraft.

Agreed.. the mobile device is wire connected to the RC.... Was told from the start to fly in "airplane mode" (which I know defeats the live facebook thing)... So unless I have a need to broadcast the flight I always put the device in airplane mode ...

Agreed.. the mobile device is wire connected to the RC.... Was told from the start to fly in "airplane mode" (which I know defeats the live facebook thing)... So unless I have a need to broadcast the flight I always put the device in airplane mode ...

I turn off the device wifi, but I leave the cellular radio on so that map imagery can still be downloaded.

For once I am happy to see DJI is taking the drone users feedback seriously. As they say slowly but surely :) for those P3A users 2.7K is back. I will update and save a backup of my iPhone just in case before i do functional testing.

The harmonics would be received through the antenna just like any other signal. The comment about wifi is because the Standard quads require wifi to link the mobile device to the RC and the A/C. There is no cable connection for them. So, if you're flying a P3S, you have to have wifi.

The harmonics would be received through the antenna just like any other signal. The comment about wifi is because the Standard quads require wifi to link the mobile device to the RC and the A/C. There is no cable connection for them. So, if you're flying a P3S, you have to have wifi.

I'm not disputing that harmonics will induce voltages in the antennas, I'm pointing out that they should not make it through the receiver front end. Point taken about the P3S.

Reactions: EddieM
I feel outdated, I'm still using 1.04
What happens if I never update my app/bird?

I feel outdated, I'm still using 1.04
What happens if I never update my app/bird?

Well, some of the updates are there to fix things... (granted some were things that the code broke).. But in general it's done to better the aircraft, batteries (there were upgrades there) and remote control.. not to mention new function in the app..

But, if you're that back level I'm not sure the best way to try to get current. Might want to check with DJI for best way to upgrade.. stages or all at once. Just remember do not have the RC on when updating the aircraft firmware. It can (and has) corrupt the video module on the gimbal. Same thing in reverse... Have the Aircraft off when updating RC...

The 1.8 (aircraft), 1.6 (remote) and 2.8.1 was very stable for me (P3P)... Waiting a little bit more but 2.8.3 seems like it was a good upgrade as well..

Well, some of the updates are there to fix things... (granted some were things that the code broke).. But in general it's done to better the aircraft, batteries (there were upgrades there) and remote control.. not to mention new function in the app..

But, if you're that back level I'm not sure the best way to try to get current. Might want to check with DJI for best way to upgrade.. stages or all at once. Just remember do not have the RC on when updating the aircraft firmware. It can (and has) corrupt the video module on the gimbal. Same thing in reverse... Have the Aircraft off when updating RC...

The 1.8 (aircraft), 1.6 (remote) and 2.8.1 was very stable for me (P3P)... Waiting a little bit more but 2.8.3 seems like it was a good upgrade as well..
Good info Jay, I also have a P3P. I thought the way to upgrade was to download to the small disc and then place the disk in the bird and turn it on, has that changed? Then with the bird off update the RC, correct? I may need all 3 batteries to catch up to date ha ha.

Good info Jay, I also have a P3P. I thought the way to upgrade was to download to the small disc and then place the disk in the bird and turn it on, has that changed? Then with the bird off update the RC, correct? I may need all 3 batteries to catch up to date ha ha.

Thanks... and yes.. Format the Micro SD card in the aircraft. Download the firmware zip file from DJI site. Unzip the file and copy the .bin file to the root directory of the Micro SD card. With the RC OFF, insert the Micro SD card into the aircraft and turn it on (Full battery). You should hear it start to read the card.. The LED over the camera should alternate red/green.. then turn to green when done. Don't panic if it takes a while and just let it go. Google for article on upgrading firmware.. there is a distinctive sound when reading and updating and when finished.

When the aircraft is done, turn it off, update the app to latest.. connect your smart device to RC with USB cable and you should see a message about updating the RC... When everything is done, you may need to reconnect the RC and Aircraft.. Again.. something you can google.. :)

Reactions: henick
I am still struggling to get a stable video feed from my P3S!

I have excellent control signal and the quad flies brilliantly and with total stability and gps lock (which is a bonus! ;-) )

DJI Support have been very helpful via their Facebook page and have escalated the issue to their developers but over the weekend they suggested I try to downgrade the firmware (original cause of the issue) using the DJI Assistant - now here is my question;

I didn't know you could use the assistant software with the P3 at all and especially not with the Standard! I have tried every way I can think of to get it to talk to my quad without any luck at all!

Can anyone confirm either way whether it can be used with the P3 Standard please? and if it can be....how please?

The only package for firmware upgrades is DJI GO according to the DJI site (for the Standard). Maybe a call to DJI support is in order?

It was them who suggested it! [emoji848] I think I just need to get on with life.... a new fw will fix it soon enough!

H£"" No I am fuming that my fantastic purchase has been hobbled remotely by the very people who made it! For three weeks they denied it was happening! RAGE RAGE RAGE

I feel better now [emoji12]

It was them who suggested it! [emoji848] I think I just need to get on with life.... a new fw will fix it soon enough!

H£"" No I am fuming that my fantastic purchase has been hobbled remotely by the very people who made it! For three weeks they denied it was happening! RAGE RAGE RAGE

I feel better now [emoji12]

So.. I can't speak fully with the P3 Standard.. but with the P3A and P3P, when you start the DJI GO app and hold down the little "academy" symbol in the upper right (looks kind of like a graduation hat) for 5 to 10 seconds and let it go, you're presented with a screen to change firmware levels of the remote control. Perhaps on the Standard you are given both options, the aircraft firmware levels and the RC levels, to select from? I just don't know if it is different for the Standard.

Reactions: TDKUK
Hi, I am just trying to make light of this situation....thank you for trying to help!

The app is the same for the Standard so you do get that option; however, when I do this on any device, it errors with 'Get firmware level failed'!! and gives no further options.

Lots of people are getting this same problem I am afraid.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic