iOS 11 and DJI Go 4 app problems

Reaction score
I updated my iPhone 6s Plus to iOS 11.1.2 a week or so ago at the same time that I reinstalled and updated my DJI firmware on the drone, the controller, and my DJI Go 4 app for a Phantom 4 Pro drone.

Since these updates, the DJI Go 4 app on the phone freezes and then crashes anytime I take a still photo with the drone. It works normally when recording 4K videos and can record videos for long periods of time without freezing. But it freezes for any still photos. The controller sticks still work, but I lose the video feed and all of the phone based controls. DJI tech support just confirmed that their app does not work properly with iOS 11, and the issue should be fixed in the next update to the DJI Go app and drone firmware. But they don’t know how soon that will be.

Does anyone know which version of iOS works best with the DJI Go 4 app? And how can I downgrade my iPhone to the older iOS?

I was also having different technical glitches with iOS 10, and I updated the drone firmware, app, and iOS on the advice of DJI tech support hoping to fix a different problem. Before these updates, my drone was resetting the home point location right when it entered “return to home” mode. The home point was set correctly at launch and during most of the flight, but it would suddenly change the home point to another location thousands of feet away when it entered “return to home” mode. I almost lost the drone on 5 occasions in August and September because of this home point issue. The software and firmware updates seem to have fixed the problem I was having with the home point randomly getting reset. But now it has this new problem with the app crashing when I take still photos.

I’m really at a loss on how to fix this. I’m afraid downgrading my iOS back to iOS 10 will bring back the problems I was having with the home point resetting itself.

If anyone has similar experiences or knows which iOS is most stable with a specific version of the DJI Go 4 app and the DJI firmware, please let me know. All of these problems I’m having seem to be related to compatibility issues between the drone, iOS, and the DJI Go 4 app.

Thanks!

There have been a number of threads regarding iOS 11 and the suggestion was to either downgrade to 10.3 (Google has a number of guides on how to do it) or re-flash 11 to cure the incompatibility issues with the GO app. I have the same set up as you except I have a P4 and had CPU overload warnings and problems using the app. In my case, I deleted about 5GB of stuff from my iPhone, deleted my video cache and then turned it off. I also dropped my transmission settings in the app (HD icon) to 4 Mbps and this seems to have cured any lag or app issues that I was having. Seems that with each update to either the app or iOS, the trusty old iPhone is having to work that much harder.
As for your homepoint resetting, there were a couple of posts on here with no definitive answer other than to keep an eye on it when activating RTH and update your homepoint to your controller (via the HP settings in the app) periodically. Not really an answer and so far I've never been faced with that problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20