New display for P4

Care to elaborate to what context you speak of, child?

Totally agree don't know why people are so fixated on Apple.
The MOST important feature of all is screen performance in sunlight!
My apologies if you read the OP and missed the fact OP was comparing iPad and was going to the Apple Store already?
It's a fact Apple costs a mint but they make quality products. Sheesh, go back to the "cheapest bang for buck tablet" thread.

If he wanted bang for buck I agree and think Samsung Galaxy are great all around products to consider. Most people have 2 or three laying around the house in the junk drawer not being used. Great deal. And you can feel good about recycling! [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Care to elaborate to what context you speak of, child?

My apologies if you read the OP and missed the fact OP was comparing iPad and was going to the Apple Store already?
It's a fact Apple costs a mint but they make quality products. Sheesh, go back to the "cheapest bang for buck tablet" thread.

Sure..... GPS is absolutely needed on the mobile subject in order for the Phantom to lock onto and follow. Phantom will not follow without GPS on the moving subject. Return to home will go back to point of take off by itself but will not RTH dynamically without GPS at the RC.

Reactions: konidair
Sure..... GPS is absolutely needed on the mobile subject in order for the Phantom to lock onto and follow. Phantom will not follow without GPS on the moving subject. Return to home will go back to point of take off by itself but will not RTH dynamically without GPS at the RC.
I beg to differ

Like i said before ~WRONG!~
I'm not sure where you came from or why you are here but please stop wasting time and interwebs.
Under normal circumstances I wouldn't argue with a child but for your benefit and others you may ultimately confound I suggest you plug in a non gps, non cellular device and put in air plane mode and then use "follow me" as I have done with P3P and you will see that it uses triangulation of signal from the transmitter to follow the transmitter. Therefore, the GPS/cellular/wifi capable tablet may come in handy but certainly not NEEDED for follow me.

Conversely, the P4 can use active tracking obviating the NEED for coarse and crude follow me mode.

Now.
0dd8c3a23bd4624a4ef6fe4772e5914e.jpg

I'm not sure where you came from or why you are here but please stop wasting time and interwebs.
Under normal circumstances I wouldn't argue with a child but for your benefit and others you may ultimately confound I suggest you plug in a non gps, non cellular device and put in air plane mode and then use "follow me" as I have done with P3P and you will see that it uses triangulation of signal from the transmitter to follow the transmitter. Therefore, the GPS/cellular/wifi capable tablet may come in handy but certainly not NEEDED for follow me.

Conversely, the P4 can use active tracking obviating the NEED for coarse and crude follow me mode.

Now.

Yep I have tried it. It will not work without GPS. Triangulation requires three reference points. The transmitter is only one. Please name the other two. Likewise have a look at this thread as it is only one of many pertaining to this subject. Standard - ipad mini 2 cellular + wifi or just wifi? Please do some research KIDDIE as you are embarrassing yourself.

Yes, the iPad pro 9.7' will fit. You will need the cellular version for all the features to work. That's a great set up, although expensive, it will have the anti reflective screen and 4k video.
I got the cellular option and 256 GB too. Should ship today actually. Taking the P4 to Yorkshire coast with me in September from Canada. It fits great in the Think Tank helipak backpack which is carry on certified. Hoping the iPad Pro will work well so I can avoid schlepping my laptop across. Time will tell.

Thanks for your input[emoji106]

Reactions: Noble 1
I'm glad you got the iPad you wanted. I'm sure you'll be happy with it, it's useful for so many other things... I really have been consistently pleased with the apple products I've owned. My android stuff has been hit or miss. Occasionally I rummage through the junk drawer and find the Samsun galaxy and fiddle with it. It's a nice tab.

Yep I have tried it. It will not work without GPS. Triangulation requires three reference points. The transmitter is only one. Please name the other two. Likewise have a look at this thread as it is only one of many pertaining to this subject. Standard - ipad mini 2 cellular + wifi or just wifi? Please do some research KIDDIE as you are embarrassing yourself.

Funny how there's not one, but two, yes I said two dipoles on the transmitter. I wonder why?
Also can you believe my shock when follow me worked with the insignia flex $30 tablet? It's ok to admit you were wrong. I'm done here.

If you have money and want quality get iPad or shield. Most of us don't have cellular so before we head out we load the map.

You do NOT NEED gps or cellular to use follow me or return to home. They use the GPS built into the phantom. The phantom uses GPS to pilot it self back to home point when activated. You do NOT need wifi and on the contrary being around wifi will interfere with your range. There is no "crowd sourcing" lol. In fact many of us get better range by putting tablet into airplane mode! So connecting to wifi or cellular is completely unnecessary. A perk of convenience.

Do you NEED a spiffy new iPad? No

The iPad is best quality right? Yes pretty much.

I went cheap and bought a $30 insignia flex 7.8 inch android tablet. Do I regret it? No because it was so cheap. Do I plan to get an iPad? Yes when I can afford it. EDIT: why? Because I can't see the screen even with a shade unless my back to to the sun.

I've tried the iPad and also the NVIDIA shield. Both are stellar high quality. Shield cost half as much but the brightness isn't as great as the iPad. Perhaps I missed a setting.

Yes, actually you do need GPS to use follow me. I'll just say that one.

Reactions: konidair
I swear to god, and I guess this is not able to be said without being offensive but I just don't care anymore. Reading this thread is almost worse than the blind leading the blind.

There are WITHOUT A DOUBT a lot of very intelligent people when it comes to both photography and flying RC UASs and other RC hobbyists but there are a lot of, well, other people here too.

What I don't know is if people are saying things they heard from other people speaking completely incorrectly or are people using bad logic? I've never in my life, in a group of people seen so many false and mislead statements by so many and not only said but argued to death about. It's honestly insane.

I guess if you're the guy on the other side, it's better to be wrong ALSO, instead of just being wrong.

I swear to god, and I guess this is not able to be said without being offensive but I just don't care anymore. Reading this thread is almost worse than the blind leading the blind.

There are WITHOUT A DOUBT a lot of very intelligent people when it comes to both photography and flying RC UASs and other RC hobbyists but there are a lot of, well, other people here too.

What I don't know is if people are saying things they heard from other people speaking completely incorrectly or are people using bad logic? I've never in my life, in a group of people seen so many false and mislead statements by so many and not only said but argued to death about. It's honestly insane.

I guess if you're the guy on the other side, it's better to be wrong ALSO, instead of just being wrong.

Very well said and I couldn't agree with you more. Some just insist they are right and some (me) actually research and physically try and experiment. At the end of the day my friend you will just need to decide who is right. If you have any doubt please post and I'll point you to many threads that indicate Nobel1 is wrong. I have absolutely nothing to gain or lose. Just trying to provide facts.

By the way... Not a single person on here agrees with Noble1's assumptions that you can do dynamic RTH and / or follow me WITHOUT GPS on the moving subject.

Likewise. I'm done here as well!

Reactions: Sinisalo

Now.

Since you said GPS is not needed for Follow Me functionality let me just say, read the manual! Page 56, let me post a picture so you don't have to open it yourself:
Page 56 P3P Manual.png

Reactions: Rodomontade
These types of threads are exactly why DJI Ken "Ken Booth" has said that our forum is the bottom of the barrel source for accurate information. Lets step it up and check our sources before we post and argue about our information.
I'm glad you got the iPad you wanted. I'm sure you'll be happy with it, it's useful for so many other things... I really have been consistently pleased with the apple products I've owned. My android stuff has been hit or miss. Occasionally I rummage through the junk drawer and find the Samsun galaxy and fiddle with it. It's a nice tab.

Funny how there's not one, but two, yes I said two dipoles on the transmitter. I wonder why?
Also can you believe my shock when follow me worked with the insignia flex $30 tablet? It's ok to admit you were wrong. I'm done here.

follow me worked with the insignia flex tablet because it is GPS enabled

Reactions: Rodomontade
Hi, I'm new here and following this discussion. I don't want to weigh in on the necessity of GPS on the iPad but I did want to mention that a lot of pilots use non-cellular iPads along with an external bluetooth GPS unit that is made to sync with the iPad. Garmin Glo and BadElf are two makes/models. Whether this would work with the DJI GO app, I don't know but maybe something to investigate.

I sincerely apologize if I am incorrect. However, to my knowledge the Insignia flex elite 7.8" does not have GPS hence my firm stance on the topic of GPS. If the flex does have GPS it is news to me.

Thanks for understanding and explaining without using one word sentences and all caps with provocative exclamation points.

Humbled.

Good information. Thank you all. I may go crazy and pop for the new iPad Pro 9.7" wifi + cellular, 128mb. If I am understanding it correctly Apple SIM card provides very inexpensive connectivity.
I'm going to the Apple Store tomorrow to find out more. I don't think it's available until 3/31/2016 but i don't have the P4 yet anyway.

Just a data point for you to consider.

I do great with a 16 GB iPad mini 4 on a P3P. Never been bothered by the lower 16 GB. All the goodies are on the bird's sd card anyways.

EDIT.....I also have the wifi gps cellular one however I never use the cellular.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31