new batteries reading odd after charge

seriously the battery conditioning thing is dumb. to each his own if you want to do it go ahead, im not a newb with batteries ive been in the game for a long time. DJI DOES NOT state it in a single piece of literature, if it was a MUST NEED thing to do it would be in the battery pamphlet.

seriously the battery conditioning thing is dumb. to each his own if you want to do it go ahead, im not a newb with batteries ive been in the game for a long time. DJI DOES NOT state it in a single piece of literature, if it was a MUST NEED thing to do it would be in the battery pamphlet.
dumb to you-- standard practice to others-- I am not a newbie either, but choose to do it-- like you said -- to each his own.:) Cheers

Here we go on the LiPo break-in Merry-Go-Round again.

I'll hop on this time:
So some dud(e) makes a video and now we all must take his word for it.

What is his background, Chemistry, Physics, Applied Materials, store owner, sales clerk?

I prefer my info from industry insiders or manufacturers.

Here's just two:
Hyperion:
Break-In Procedure - Hyperion G3 LiPo are robust and do not need a complicated break-in procedure. We recommend that the first 5 uses are limited to 3C charge rates, and that pilots use throttle management to avoid long periods of max-rate discharge for those first 5 flights. Note also the other care suggestions below. Those apply pretty generally to any LiPo pack, not just Hyperion G3...
Hyperion G3 Lithium Polymer Battery Packs

Thunder Power:
First few Flights Thunder Power recommends no more than 3-5C average discharge for breaking in new packs. Also be extremely careful not to over discharge new packs (Packs should NEVER be over discharged at any time, but over discharging on the first flight will ruin the battery permanently before you are able to enjoy it. See “Caring for Battery” below).
http://thunderpowerrc.com/PDF/THPSafetyWarnings.pdf

The 'intelligent battery' cap takes care of all of that for you.

YMMV

;)

Last edited:
Here we go on the LiPo break-in Merry-Go-Round again.

I'll hop on this time:
So some dud(e) makes a video and now we all must take his word for it.

What is his background, Chemistry, Physics, Applied Materials, store owner, sales clerk?

I prefer my info from industry insiders or manufacturers.

Here's just two:
Hyperion:
Break-In Procedure - Hyperion G3 LiPo are robust and do not need a complicated break-in procedure. We recommend that the first 5 uses are limited to 3C charge rates, and that pilots use throttle management to avoid long periods of max-rate discharge for those first 5 flights. Note also the other care suggestions below. Those apply pretty generally to any LiPo pack, not just Hyperion G3...
Hyperion G3 Lithium Polymer Battery Packs

Thunder Power:
First few Flights Thunder Power recommends no more than 3-5C average discharge for breaking in new packs. Also be extremely careful not to over discharge new packs (Packs should NEVER be over discharged at any time, but over discharging on the first flight will ruin the battery permanently before you are able to enjoy it. See “Caring for Battery” below).

YMMV
Rate of discharge is extremely important and so is over discharging -- I have pushed both of those limits in the past and ruined lipos (Not P3) so yes backgrounds matter, but so does the experience of "dudes" who use these things daily. If a guy has the background but no experience, his theories may not be absolute and in fact, may be flat wrong. IMHO

I don't believe it takes care of flying the battery to zero-- ;)-- overdischarging:):)

No hard feelings Bob if I sounded curt.

It's just there is soooo much BS on the web and everybody is an expert.

It takes more than some droning video for me to be convinced.

Reagan used that Russian Proverb: "Trust but verify". I say: "Trust but Google" and weigh the evidence.

Reactions: bobmyers
:)
No hard feelings Bob if I sounded curt.

It's just there is soooo much BS on the web and everybody is an expert.

It takes more than some droning video for me to be convinced.

Reagan used that Russian Proverb: "Trust but verify". I say: "Trust but Google" and weigh the evidence.
Never took it that way

Thunder Power:

So pushing the discharge rate is where you can damage the batteries on a P3 ? Charging is not over 1C on stock charger as it takes over an hour to charge.
So what is the amp draw when pushing the throttle full up - P3 climbing vertically? What is the amp draw when flying at full speed horizontally? What is the amp draw when you do this when your batteries are still fully charged and especially what is the amp draw when they are nearly depleted and voltage is low?
Are the P3 batteries discharge rated at 10C or 20C ?
A basic Lipo article on C ratings and discharge rate: A Guide to Understanding LiPo Batteries - Roger's Hobby Center - Radio Control (R/C or RC) Cars, Boats, Airplanes, Puzzles, Plastic Models, & Trains - Saginaw, MI

I don't have answers for you.
DJI does not publish them as far as I know.

But they do publish this which explains the protections that DJI has engineered into their 'intelligent batteries':
Phantom 2-Preparing the Flight Battery - DJI Wiki

DJI does not anticipate Phantom owners to have any previous LiPo experience so they have designed the battery interface to take care of your concerns.

Thank you for your link.

I don't have answers for you.
DJI does not publish them as far as I know.

But they do publish this which explains the protections that DJI has engineered into their 'intelligent batteries':
Phantom 2-Preparing the Flight Battery - DJI Wiki

DJI does not anticipate Phantom owners to have any previous LiPo experience so they have designed the battery interface to take care of your concerns.

Thank you for your link.

This is P2... Anything on p3?

I could not find anything specifically.

But other than the voltage numbers I would not expect any significant operational differences between the two.

So I bought 5 batteries last week. Charged them all up. Been flying and I noticed that after completing a charge it doesn't show 100% in the app, 3 of the 5 say 96% after a charge and around 4100mah , anyone else notice this ? I had a critical battery error just a fee does ago also pop up and go away. Now I'm a bit worried to fly far.

I had the same thing happen with one of mine after the 1.4 firmware upgrade. After I cycled it twice it is reading normal again. DJI says to discharge it down to 7-8% and then recharge so it can re-calibrate.

Reactions: N017RW

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20