New and have problems

Reaction score
Hi,
New to the forum and have a new (used) Phantom 3 Advanced. The seller demo'd it fine and everything worked.

When I got it home, I decided to update the firmware, which Im thinking was a mistake. It did not work like the tutorial or instructions. The plane would not connect via cable to the computer (Mac, 2 of them, three ports or 2 cables). I downloaded to a micro chip and when thru the procedure putting it into the plane, and later cable to controller. The text message after downloads showed success, failed and firmware same or older than is on aircraft.

When I connect to the app I'm not getting to the "camera" page. There is no icon to trigger that. (my seller emailed me what it should look like. When I open the app and slide to left to P3A there is no Camera prompt.
Tried reloading software and tried on Iphone 6+ (identical to seller's) and a Ipad Pro 9 inch.

Ideas?

Larry
MacBook Pro
Ipad Pro 9"
Iphone 6+
DJI Phantom 3 Advanced

Camera vs none.jpg

New to the forum and have a new (used) Phantom 3 Advanced.
Welcome sir!
Since msinger replied just a few minutes after you posted, hopefully you have it all sorted by now. If so, disregard my questions.
The seller demo'd it fine and everything worked.
This is good news. :)
When I got it home, I decided to update the firmware
This is unfortunate. :(

Did you have it working first at home before deciding to change FW?

It helps with guidance if we know what FW you started with since different FW versions may require different steps as you may have already seen in the link that msinger sent you earlier.
Did you take note of which FW versions you had on the AC and the RC before you started to change FW?

my seller emailed me what it should look like
Sounds like you can still reach out to the seller.
If you don't know which versions you had to start with, perhaps the seller can give you that information.

The text message after downloads showed success, failed and firmware same or older than is on aircraft.
Would you mind posting that text file you just mentioned along with the separate log_ab file found here? With those files we most likely can help you.

Lastly, if you are interested click here for some tips that I often share with new P3A/P3P owners.

Cheers!

Last edited:
When you first powered up the quad and turned on the controller, did you select what type of quad it was? I believe you have to do that before you'll get the button for the camera

I followed msingers instructions EXACTLY, tried 3 or 4 times. When it can to open the camera part, that didn't work. I never had a prompt for that, see my first post with the picture.
My seller was VERY HELPFUL. But didn't know what firmware was on the drone, and neither did I, as I didn't know how to get it without the app working.
When I first powered up and opened the app, I had to sign in and select the Drone model. No problem.

I spend over an hour with DJI tech support chat, and they said the controller was broken. So, at this time, I'm sending it in to a service center. What the hell I did in uploading the firmware I really don't know, but it worked flawlessly before. I just can't find a solution so I'm ready to give up. I've spent about 8 hours trouble shooting this and had enough. However, willing to try one more thing. I'm not a quitter but know when it's cost effective to let someone else fix it.

I followed msingers instructions EXACTLY, tried 3 or 4 times.
You updated the firmware on both the Phantom and the remote controller? Did you run into any issues while updating the firmware?

When you first powered up the quad and turned on the controller, did you select what type of quad it was? I believe you have to do that before you'll get the button for the camera
when you plug the display to the RC it will auto select your drone for you same with even the non Lightbridge systems on the lower P3 units using wifi I have never had to look for my drone in the app

I see your using Apple products. Some people are having issues with the new IOS 11 update. Try a different cord or Android device. Are the controller and Drone connected? Can you control the gimbal from the controller?

Reactions: beakeru2
<<When you first powered up the quad and turned on the controller, did you select what type of quad it was?>>
Yes

<<You updated the firmware on both the Phantom and the remote controller? Did you run into any issues while updating the firmware?>>
Not sure, I don't have enough experience to know, but it didn't load like the tutorial said.

<<when you plug the display to the RC it will auto select your drone for you same with even the non Lightbridge systems on the lower P3 units using wifi I have never had to look for my drone in the app>>>
Not sure, don't know what Lightbridge is. Just know the software isn't working like it should. But could be me.

<<I see your using Apple products. Some people are having issues with the new IOS 11 update. Try a different cord or Android device. Are the controller and Drone connected? Can you control the gimbal from the controller?>>

No android devices, but tried several cords. Don't know if they are connected, how would I know that? Control the gimbal? Over my head.

I'm brand new at this, and it's frustrating.

Stick with it... The end result will outweigh the beginning / firmware frustrations... I had an extremely similar experience early on and Msinger and the others helped keep me from smashing the bird with a hammer... Keep at it .. go back and try the instructions again "exactly" as Msinger suggested.. and make absolutely sure your not missing a step.. you should be okay.. If memory serves me correctly , I had to retry it 5 or 6 times before I got it right..

Reactions: JoBe and loonie01
If you can control the gimbal by using the left wheel then you will know that the controller and P4 are connected. Try using someone else android device to see if the DJIGo app works.

Thanks, but I'm sending it in for repair. I have no clue how to fix it and every expert, including DJI, said. "that's strange" when I explained the issue. I've tried every solution mentioned at least twice.

Don't assume the DJI people are right via telephone or computer. My neighbor bought a DJI Spark and they told him when he had trouble with the remote, that it was broken and to, send it back. I went over and all that needed to be done was to pair the remote to the spark drone. It works fine. Check with any hobby shops are other places that sell the drone, and see if they can help you. They , like most of us, are more than likely going to be happy to help you out! Where are you located?

Also, just turn on the drone and the remote, and see if the remote light on the bottom turns green. That indicates a connection to the aircraft. See if the upper left wheel controls the tilt on the camera. AKA Gimble.

Don't assume the DJI people are right via telephone or computer. My neighbor bought a DJI Spark and they told him when he had trouble with the remote, that it was broken and to, send it back. I went over and all that needed to be done was to pair the remote to the spark drone. It works fine. Check with any hobby shops are other places that sell the drone, and see if they can help you. They , like most of us, are more than likely going to be happy to help you out! Where are you located?

Thx, I'm in St. Pete, FL. I've checked locally and found no one that's a DJI expert. I'm sure there's someone, but just can't find them. However, the guy who sold it to me is an expert and he couldn't figure it out.

At this point, I've spent more time on it than it's worth. But, I'll get it fixed somehow.

I had the same problem after updating the firmware.
There IS a thread on here that tells you how to overcome that.
In the end I backdated the firmware and it still wouldn't work!
I had the same picture as you.

Then I realized that I hadn't reconnected with the drone!
I felt a complete fool! [emoji23]

Nick,

Probably an easy mistake. However, I still don't know how to connect with the drone. Lots of great help here, but nothing worked, so I just sent it to a DJI service center. We'll see

Nick,

Probably an easy mistake. However, I still don't know how to connect with the drone. Lots of great help here, but nothing worked, so I just sent it to a DJI service center. We'll see
Did you get yours back yet or more likely did you get a refurshoed one back yet?>

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z