new advanced

Reaction score
hi, I've just ordered my hubby a phantom 3 advanced for xmas, i looked at a few you tube videos and they say it will need updates to be loaded on to the drone then onto the remote before using it, so as to use the app? bit scary for someone who's never owned a drone. is it easy and safe to do please

It's not hard to install firmware updates when done properly. Just follow these instructions.

hi, I've just ordered my hubby a phantom 3 advanced for xmas, i looked at a few you tube videos and they say it will need updates to be loaded on to the drone then onto the remote before using it, so as to use the app? bit scary for someone who's never owned a drone. is it easy and safe to do please
Welcome! Your husband will be thrilled I'm sure!

My advice is the opposite of what you saw in the YT video. I always recommend to NOT do a firmware update right away. See my reasons here, but like most things it's YOUR decision. Note that others may have different advice.

If you are interested, click the link below for a few tips I like to share. It contains useful info and links to even more useful info:

Soon to be new owner phantom 3 advanced

Last edited:
You can download DJI Assistance to your computer and follow instructions to update firmwares for your P3A and RC.
Anyway, congrats on new toy!

Sent from my SGP771 using Tapatalk

Read and follow the instructions given by msinger. A wrong step will require lot of efforts to clean it up, so do it right every time.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

You can download DJI Assistance to your computer and follow instructions to update firmwares for your P3A and RC.
The DJI Assistant 2 application is not compatible with the Phantom 3.

so to clarify, if he just wants to fly without doing any updates to start, this will be ok? he just downloads the app to his phone/ipad and away he goes? then when he feels confident he can do the updates? what if i get his extra batteries, will they need any software putting on them?

if he just wants to fly without doing any updates to start, this will be ok?
Right -- firmware updates are optional. I would personally install the latest firmware update on a new P3A since the latest firmware is stable.

he just downloads the app to his phone/ipad and away he goes?
I strongly recommend he download the Phantom manual from the P3A downloads page and read it in its entirety under he fully understands everything in it. Flying without reading the manual could turn out to be a very costly mistake.

what if i get his extra batteries, will they need any software putting on them?
The DJI GO app will display a notification if the batteries need to be updated. You can find instructions for updating them here.

Right -- firmware updates are optional. I would personally install the latest firmware update on a new P3A since the latest firmware is stable.

I strongly recommend he download the Phantom manual from the P3A downloads page and read it in its entirety under he fully understands everything in it. Flying without reading the manual could turn out to be a very costly mistake.

The DJI GO app will display a notification if the batteries need to be updated. You can find instructions for updating them here.
Thank you for your help, he will definitely read the manual, so will I, as I'm a woman and we always read instructions lol then I can explain where he's going wrong.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31