Never lose your drone again!!!

Monte55 said:
It needs a network of people to have these to be really effective from what I understand.

Yep, If you study the technology. You might change your mind. Unless you only fly in crowds.

You guys do understand that if there are not people around you with other technology, this device won't work?

rrmccabe said:
You guys do understand that if there are not people around you with other technology, this device won't work?

I'm still trying to find out how it works.

BTW, I'm in Grimes!

Don't forget, these devices all rely on a paid phone line.
Which also means, in order to find that lost drone, it has to be where there is a cell tower.
So if you're flying in death valley, I'd say, it's lost.

Unless it uses true GPS then it is not really all that useful, especially if you fly in unpopulated areas. The one linked does not use GPS.

480sparky said:
BTW, I'm in Grimes!

Heck we are almost neighbors. I live just off the dam on the east side.

Suwaneeguy said:
Don't forget, these devices all rely on a paid phone line.
Which also means, in order to find that lost drone, it has to be where there is a cell tower.
So if you're flying in death valley, I'd say, it's lost.

Actually, I think this particular one is worse that that. When you buy one you connect it via bluetooth to your phone. The distance is limited 100' or whatever Bluetooth distance you have. It is only extended beyond that if there are other users around with the same technology on their phone. So they basically build a mini network. If there are no other users... Then you have zero coverage.

Yeah... doesn't really sound like "a great idea" to me. It's hardly ANY kind of insurance if it doesn't have any have coverage.

I fly in open fields, by myself. I doubt very much there would be ANYone close enough to be in BT range... let alone anyone in BT range who happens to have the same app and device.

Even at $25... I'd say save your money, and put it toward a tracker that will actually DO something for you when you need it.

I contacted the Co. And they told me that it should not be used on a Quadcopter because the range is only 100 ft.

Quite frankly, I'm astounded they have raised over $1m dollars for this thing.

The only thing I can think is that people who have pledged/purchased really do not understand how the thing works.

Unless people know about it, download the app AND have it active (which means having BT active all the time) on their mobile device AND are in the vicinity of your lost 'thing' it's useless!

So..... the only thing I can think is the people in that demo that stole the bike had the app installed and ended up catching themselves !! :lol:

For people that lose their keys its awesome.

Anytime you see crowd sharing, crowd... etc. its not good for a drone :(

The Editor said:
Quite frankly, I'm astounded they have raised over $1m dollars for this thing.

Because people see "GPS tracking" and "no monthly subscription fee", and they're IN. ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl