Neighbor threatened to kill me for flying my phantom...

So if someone angry comes along and shoots you done you can always (if you survive) post it on youtube and collect millions of clicks! (obviously joking :))

No. I get it....but there have been cases where the "drone pilot" filed a counter claim after a disgruntled, out of control person unlawfully harassed, laid hands on the pilot, etc. His GoPro footage captured everything. On a public beach away from any large group of people. To an official, that video removes all of the "he said/she said" and showed what actually "happened". The cop sided with the pilot having done no wrong. The other was cited for assault and was recommended they to pay damages (if any) to the pilot.

So my using a GoPro on my hat while flying is like a any other..."insurance." Because you never know what "might happen."

If any damages are over $500 I believe it's a felony. So in addition to cost a person may be ordered to pay - thanks to video proof - they now also have a felony charge on their record....forever. Outcomes like this will likely educate folks before they decide to get in someones's face....just because they "personally don't like" what you're doing. But yes there will always be A-holes to deal with in life no matter what's happened to whoever in the past.

I really hate all of this but unfortunately it goes with the territory. I love it when folks come up, ask questions. I try to be the most amiable and accommodating person on the planet when this happens. This is the best remedy I think. (Assuming I'm also flying respectfully)

Last edited:
I am currently in the process of filing a restraining order and the city is pursuing a felony/misdemeanor against one of my neighbors that I have never met before, before they approached me, brandished a weapon, and threatened to kill me for flying my phantom too close to their house. You would think I live in a dangerous neighborhood, but it is quite the opposite in one of the most expensive zip codes (socal).

I am posting this here as a warning. When the incident happened, I was with a few friends. Had I been alone, who knows what could have transpired.

I am not advocating carrying weapons, but I would suggest that you think about protecting yourself every time you fly.

I hesitated in posting this because I didn't want to worry anyone, but I convinced myself that I would want to know, so I am sharing.

Here are a few details of the incident for those that are curious:

Taking off from directly in front of my condo. It is a crowded neighborhood, housing with hardly any yards, in a small-hills area. I am flying looking at brush and open land, some of the only open land near my condo, at about the middle of a hill, on top of which is a house. I am at approximately 60-80 feet in the air (AGL), much lower than the height of the house. I then start to go straight up at about 3-5mph to a height of about 300 feet. During this I pass by the house on the hill at about 30-50 yards from the closest side of the house (the house was at about 100-120ft). Once at that height, I hit the RTH function to show my friends how it can, well, RTH. As it gets above us and starts to descend, a pickup truck pulls up with a man and a woman getting out. They start approaching us spouting nonsense about taking video through their windows. Privacy this, illegal that, "you cannot fly over residential!", etc. After a few minutes of back and forth, they say they are going to call the police. I invited them to and welcomed them to stay and wait. This was mostly a discussion with the wife. They were an older couple, late 50's early 60's. While this was happening the husband had pulled out a steak knife and had it in his hands. He was a safe distance away at this point, but it was borderline time to run in the other direction. Shortly later, they started walking back to their truck and the husband pulled the truck closer to my condo attempting to run over the drone with his car. He aggressively sped up and nearly ran over my girlfriend who picked up the drone because she saw what he was going to be doing. He then veered at her, and she had to duck between cars. I was too far away to do anything about the drone sitting on the ground at the time, but I am thankful she had enough foresight and courage to do all of this without really being in much danger. It was more a show of aggression from the husband driving the truck.

And as the grand finale, as they are backing out of my condo complex, I am at the entrance to the condo complex standing next to the drivers side door, and he reaches in the glove box, pulls out a gun, and says to his wife, "why don't we just kill him?". At this point she was erratic trying to get her husband to leave, covering the gun with her jacket and pulling his arm down. I could tell she was horrified that he was doing it, and at that point, they left and we immediately called the police.

As you can imagine, their story of what happened didn't match mine at all. Luckily I had half a dozen witnesses to the entire thing, otherwise I might be just someone pissed off at the justice system stuck in a he said she said situation. Instead, he is facing a possible felony/misdimeanor and restraining order.

The scariest thing about this is, I wasn't even aware that I had done anything even remotely wrong. When it all started to go down, I was in complete shock that someone was even remotely upset, let alone wanting to kill me. I felt as if I was a safe distance away from all houses when I was flying. With over 10 years of flying under my belt, I have a good idea of what a safe distance is.

So the lesson is, take special care, try to diffuse the situation, and always protect yourself. I hope I am the only person this ever happens to.
I am currently in the process of filing a restraining order and the city is pursuing a felony/misdemeanor against one of my neighbors that I have never met before, before they approached me, brandished a weapon, and threatened to kill me for flying my phantom too close to their house. You would think I live in a dangerous neighborhood, but it is quite the opposite in one of the most expensive zip codes (socal).

I am posting this here as a warning. When the incident happened, I was with a few friends. Had I been alone, who knows what could have transpired.

I am not advocating carrying weapons, but I would suggest that you think about protecting yourself every time you fly.

I hesitated in posting this because I didn't want to worry anyone, but I convinced myself that I would want to know, so I am sharing.

Taking off from directly in front of my condo. It is a crowded neighborhood, housing with hardly any yards, in a small-hills area. I am flying looking at brush and open land, some of the only open land near my condo, at about the middle of a hill, on top of which is a house. I am at approximately 60-80 feet in the air (AGL), much lower than the height of the house. I then start to go straight up at about 3-5mph to a height of about 300 feet. During this I pass by the house on the hill at about 30-50 yards from the closest side of the house (the house was at about 100-120ft). Once at that height, I hit the RTH function to show my friends how it can, well, RTH. As it gets above us and starts to descend, a pickup truck pulls up with a man and a woman getting out. They start approaching us spouting nonsense about taking video through their windows. Privacy this, illegal that, "you cannot fly over residential!", etc. After a few minutes of back and forth, they say they are going to call the police. I invited them to and welcomed them to stay and wait. This was mostly a discussion with the wife. They were an older couple, late 50's early 60's. While this was happening the husband had pulled out a steak knife and had it in his hands. He was a safe distance away at this point, but it was borderline time to run in the other direction. Shortly later, they started walking back to their truck and the husband pulled the truck closer to my condo attempting to run over the drone with his car. He aggressively sped up and nearly ran over my girlfriend who picked up the drone because she saw what he was going to be doing. He then veered at her, and she had to duck between cars. I was too far away to do anything about the drone sitting on the ground at the time, but I am thankful she had enough foresight and courage to do all of this without really being in much danger. It was more a show of aggression from the husband driving the truck.

And as the grand finale, as they are backing out of my condo complex, I am at the entrance to the condo complex standing next to the drivers side door, and he reaches in the glove box, pulls out a gun, and says to his wife, "why don't we just kill him?". At this point she was erratic trying to get her husband to leave, covering the gun with her jacket and pulling his arm down. I could tell she was horrified that he was doing it, and at that point, they left and we immediately called the police.

As you can imagine, their story of what happened didn't match mine at all. Luckily I had half a dozen witnesses to the entire thing, otherwise I might be just someone pissed off at the justice system stuck in a he said she said situation. Instead, he is facing a possible felony/misdimeanor and restraining order.

The scariest thing about this is, I wasn't even aware that I had done anything even remotely wrong. When it all started to go down, I was in complete shock that someone was even remotely upset, let alone wanting to kill me. I felt as if I was a safe distance away from all houses when I was flying. With over 10 years of flying under my belt, I have a good idea of what a safe distance is.

So the lesson is, take special care, try to diffuse the situation, and always protect yourself. I hope I am the only person this ever happens to.

I just don't fly near homes, unless it's a real estate shoot, and then I make sure the neighbors know what I'm doing.

I don't think the OP is a troll. He signed up a few weeks before creating this thread. He's likely a new user.

And again, let's take the gun debate to the OT area. Everyone has a strong opinion over it and nothing will be solved in a forum about drones. If your comment has the following phrases in it: "2nd amendment", "cold dead hand", "I carry a...", or "you Americans are gun lovin'..." take it to the OT area. If you do it here, I am just going to delete your post.

A much more interesting discussion would be what is considered the right way to fly in a residential neighborhood and how to deal with the tin foil hat wearing neighbors who are convinced you're plotting to steal their kids.

Reactions: Seadog
You must have a pistol permit then

Yep, and my wife is a police officer. Double wammy for anyone that tries something dumb like that. Not insinuating that I'd use violence, but they would not have been driving away on their own.

It states in the manual to take martial art lessons with the purchase of every "drone", some people need 5 fingers imprinted on their faces

Reactions: CloudsNeverDie
I replaced the props on my P3 with shuriken stars - haven't had any problems with the neighbors since then. ;)

Lucky_Strike_Grey_Twister_Shuriken_01.jpg

Agreed.

AK's and sandals. Hmmmm.

Some sick people right there.

That is a terrible picture to display
I agree that it is a horrible pic.....That's why it is best to drop the WHOLE "stand ground, or flee" topic.
You have folks that claim they'd be level headed and really might not be and then there are folks who claim they "protect themselves at all costs" and really wouldn't. I feel disturbed by the thread direction.

Personally I'm liking the posts, I do enjoy seeing others points of view.

The original post talked about the gun and some of us were deeply shocked hearing this. It's (who would have thought) relevant to us now.
I never thought it would be.

I know a few people to avoid now :)

Reactions: RyanK
Nobody needs to get shot over a toy

To you it may be a toy, but for some of us it's a tool for filmmaking and a business investment. Whether it's used as a tool or a toy, people should operate these devices responsibly and be aware of the potential risks. The OP brought the potential worst case scenario to our attention and people can now decide for themselves what's an appropriate way to handle this kind of situation down the road, should it arise.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor