Neighbor threatened to kill me for flying my phantom...

I am appalled that this happened. It's sad to me that anyone thinks it was necessary to start waving a gun around in this situation.... it's also sad that people are then thinking that they should be armed when they fly. What the hell?!? I am not an anti-gun person per-se - grew up around hunters and people who responsibly kept guns. But nowhere in the second amendment does it say "you have the right to wave your gun around" when people annoy you. I also have never lived in a place (and I lived in Cleveland for a while) where I felt the need to carry a weapon around with me "just in case" - I know people think it keeps them safe - but I just don't get it.

I'm glad the OP called the police. He might have been flying too close to his neighbors but he certainly doesn't deserve the death penalty for it...

It's kind of crazy that we live in a country where the government is on the one hand busy trying to ban relatively harmless drones which so far have killed nobody, and on the other hand refuses to ban guns which kill tens of thousands of people every year. If the government does ban drones, the first thing I'll be doing is buying myself a nice set of guns. If that's what they want us to be spending our money on, so be it.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
A smart person "always" tries to avoid conflict, by every means possible. It's always preferable to walk away than to escalate the situation.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

"Worst case scenario" as specified in my original post implies the notion that walking away has become impossible due to actions taken or escalations created by the aggressor. This can involve brandishing a weapon or taking control of a vehicle to perform bodily harm. The OP is lucky his GF didn't get run over while trying to save his P3. Take note - It's hard to walk away from someone willing to use a vehicle to attack you and your property.

It's kind of crazy that we live in a country where the government is on the one hand busy trying to ban relatively harmless drones which so far have killed nobody, and on the other hand refuses to ban guns which kill tens of thousands of people every year. If the government does ban drones, the first thing I'll be doing is buying myself a nice set of guns. If that's what they want us to be spending our money on, so be it.
I don't think you understand why the 2nd amendment exists.

I don't think your number is accurate either.

On a side note: a lesson for everybody never leave your property to defend your property, nothing good will come from it.

+1 on the 'side note'.

Guns never protect in a society they only go to hinder, altruism is the open eyed hope of the desperate and the frustration of the intelligent, it's what we hope for, it's a good thing :)

sorry for interrupting I'll go away now

I will say "a whackjob" is seemingly the norm these days, in attitude and altitude.
Sorry Tron, carry on :), the real world isn't a place I want to be wonderland is the place for me, to (sung with the green acres theme) oh dear.

If you do some research you will find the highest incidence of gun crimes occur in places with the strictest gun control laws, like Chicago.

Criminals don't give a **** about gun laws.

Refuses to ban guns? LOL.

Reactions: RyanK and easyhome
OK guys,

There's an off-topic forum right down the hall to your left, please knock before entering.

It's not imagination or my emotions
When there are people posting in this thread
"Prefer to tuck a Sig 938 with HSTs for the off chance Mr. and Mrs. Worst Case Scenario rear their ugly head and try to lynch me and stomp my drone."
listen it's no skin off my arse if a couple of loons over there shoot each other over a toy, all I'm saying is I hope any of you holding a concealed weapon will have the sense to use your mouth first to try diffuse any situation or simply just walk away rather than resorting to pulling out your weapon. It's nice we don't have to worry about crap like that in this part of the world and we can concentrate on enjoying our flying.

Ah...the stereotypical view of Americans by those across the pond...narrow-minded thinking that we're all pistol-packing cowboys ready to engage in a shootout at a moment's notice. I could say that all Irish are lazy, drunken bums (were I to buy into stereotypes), but I am quite aware that is not the truth.

Guns are pervasive here, yes. But the vast, vast majority of gun owners are law-abiding citizens that carry because the world can be a dangerous place and one could be accosted on their own property, such as the OP.

Of course we would attempt to defuse the situation verbally, but if some nutcase comes at me with a steak knife despite attempts at de-escalation, you can rest assured that I'll bring my gun to his knife-fight...I have every right to defend myself with deadly force if someone is threatening ME with deadly force. Contrary to the stereotypes that you are quite obviously fed, typical Americans don't go about brandishing our weapons to the public.

The OP had a very scary situation with someone who brandished a knife, a gun, AND a multi ton vehicle to threaten him and his family. Had OP been a uniformed police officer, the clown in the truck would be in the morgue. Would the officer have been wrong to do that?

I hope you or I never find yourself in such a situation because who knows what might happen. I'd rather have a defensive weapon and not need it, than need it and not have it.

If you do some research you will find the highest incidence of gun crimes occur in places with the strictest gun control laws, like Chicago.

Criminals don't give a **** about gun laws.

Refuses to ban guns? LOL.

That's because states with the most gun crimes try to fight the problem with stricter gun control laws. The reality is most illegally owned guns have crossed state borders.

And if you do some research, you'll find the lowest incidence of gun crimes occur in countries with the strictest gun control laws, like the United Kingdom. http://www.humanosphere.org/science...eaths-comparing-the-u-s-to-rest-of-the-world/

Had OP been a uniformed police officer, the clown in the truck would be in the morgue. Would the officer have been wrong to do that?

Yes. Here's why:

Option A) Someone doesn't die.
Option B) Someone is "in the morgue".

Give me Option A (which actually happened) anytime. I simple don't understand the mindset that sees someone losing their life over no one losing their life as the more right option.

[Sorry that was OT but as question was asked and I wanted to answer]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: steveeds
Yes. Here's why:

Option A) Someone doesn't die.
Option B) Someone is "in the morgue".

Give me Option A (which actually happened) anytime. I simple don't understand the mindset that sees someone losing their life over no one losing their life as the more right option.

[Sorry that was OT but as question was asked and I wanted to answer]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duly noted, but my point is that had this maniac waved a gun at a police officer and wound up dead, the news would have reported it as a justified shooting of the officer defending himself. The point I was trying to make (insufficiently) is that why would it be any different if a citizen defended themselves? Of course no one getting injured is the ideal outcome, but tell that to the maniac the OP encountered.

That's because states with the most gun crimes try to fight the problem with stricter gun control laws. The reality is most illegally owned guns have crossed state borders.

And if you do some research, you'll find the lowest incidence of gun crimes occur in countries with the strictest gun control laws, like the United Kingdom. http://www.humanosphere.org/science...eaths-comparing-the-u-s-to-rest-of-the-world/

Again, criminals don't care about gun laws and I don't care about the UK's (or any other place for that matter) policy on guns.

Reactions: RyanK
There is a sniper in Loveland Colorado, who had already shot and killed three people. One was a woman entering a freeway on ramp.
I hope no one flying a Phantom quad in remote areas there, encounters that nut.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Archy88
Well we've proven one thing tonight that a lot of gun nuts and numb nuts are in here tonight...
when people kill each other with guns in this country they are normally the low life's killing other low life's, bottom of the food chain stuff. Maybe time to get off your amendment bolloxology and realise we are talking about your hobby of flying a drone and not your testosterone levels. Sheesh get back on topics lads, here comes the onslaught

Well we've proven one thing tonight that a lot of gun nuts and numb nuts are in here tonight...
when people kill each other with guns in this country they are normally the low life's killing other low life's, bottom of the food chain stuff. Maybe time to get off your amendment bolloxology and realise we are talking about your hobby of flying a drone and not your testosterone levels. Sheesh get back on topics lads, here comes the onslaught

Just can't let it go even after liking Ian's post.

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik