Need to replace controller battery

Reaction score
Mine is getting to where it doesn't hold a charge according to the lights. I can charge it up until all the lights go off. Leave it off for a minute, turn it on and I only have three lights. When I fly it doesn't take long to get to two. I don't want to buy another controller. I think it is a stupid and smart idea of DJI that you can't send it to them and have a new battery put it. Anyone have any suggestions. Been looking on youtube. Thanks

You can buy a replacement Phantom 4 remote controller battery here on Amazon or here on eBay.

Here's a video that shows what's involved to replace it:

Reactions: MTO and keyman
Are you sure it’s the battery or the issue requiring a “reflow” on the circuit board inside the controller?
After several months of no use I tried to charge mine up overnight. Woke up the next morning, lights were all out so went flying. Within 10 mins I received a low battery alarm. Turns out it was not the battery but the circuit board near the battery connection and charging plug.
There is a great YouTube video on how to address it. I did it, took about an hour and she’s working 100 percent again!

Are you sure it’s the battery or the issue requiring a “reflow” on the circuit board inside the controller?
That's a possibility too. Here's a video that shows how to do that:

I am not sure it is the battery. I think it is. Guess I can replace it and see if that fixes it. Kind of pricey but a lot cheaper than another controller. Probably what I will do.

I am not sure it is the battery
After removing your battery, you could compare the specs on the label with the labels from the batteries I linked above.

I had similar problems with my P4 Pro radio and sent it in for repair. Battery was replaced and unit returned. First time battery ran down and I tried charging, it would not charge. I returned radio again and this time board was flowed and now will take a charge when it runs down. First time repair $180 and second time was $50 for shipping - ‘no charge ‘ for second repair.

Try charging your controller over night then use a meter the next day to check the battery’s actual voltage. You may find it is fully charged but the controller is not using that charge,,,, goes along with my previous post, the reflow fixed it for many.
Check the battery first before you spend $$$$.
Good luck!

Reactions: cneedelman
I ordered a new battery from ebay. I hope it works. Doesn't look to bad to replace it. Looked like the most trouble he had was getting the old battery unstuck from the plastic case that holds it. It this doesn't work I may have to send it in for repair. ugh

Strange thing. I can only have two lights but it only takes a few minutes to fully charge it back up to four lights. Then after letting it sit it goes to three lights then with not a much flying it goes to two lights. Does this sound like the battery?

I replaced the battery. AS of now I am having trouble charging it. After I got the battery in I put it on charge. I had a light and a half blinking. Did this for a couple of hours then it quit charging. I tried and it did this a couple of times. I took the cover off the board. In a way it looks like the big plug isn't all the way in. The lock tab locks. Wish I would have looked at it a little closer before unplugging it. Does anyone have a picture of the big plug plugged in so I can see what it should look like. Everything is so small. The two strips on the sides are in good and I am sure they are right.
Also will It take a while to charge the battery or anything else I should do. Thank

I replaced the battery. AS of now I am having trouble charging it. After I got the battery in I put it on charge. I had a light and a half blinking. Did this for a couple of hours then it quit charging. I tried and it did this a couple of times. I took the cover off the board. In a way it looks like the big plug isn't all the way in. The lock tab locks. Wish I would have looked at it a little closer before unplugging it. Does anyone have a picture of the big plug plugged in so I can see what it should look like. Everything is so small. The two strips on the sides are in good and I am sure they are right.
Also will It take a while to charge the battery or anything else I should do. Thank

I wish I could help more but here's what I can mention...

If I recall correctly this may be due to a problem discussed here a few times, What I believe the folks found the issue to be often is a quality issue with the battery interface board(s). There is some type of solder connection issue where the board needs to be re-flowed. That is to say reheated so all the surface mounted solder joints are allowed to reform.

Maybe others will chime in and confirm or refute my thoughts above.

I wish I could help more but here's what I can mention...

If I recall correctly this may be due to a problem discussed here a few times, What I believe the folks found the issue to be often is a quality issue with the battery interface board(s). There is some type of solder connection issue where the board needs to be re-flowed. That is to say reheated so all the surface mounted solder joints are allowed to reform.

Maybe others will chime in and confirm or refute my thoughts above.
Earlier in this very thread it is mentioned along with a video. ?

Reactions: JoBe
Earlier in this very thread it is mentioned along with a video. ?

Thanks, was too lazy to look and too eager to help.
Glad my memory is still somewhat working OK

Reactions: Oso
Well it is charged now to where I have a out three and a half lights. Wouldn't doubt if it is something with the board. Going to fly and see how it goes. Thank you all for the help. I will post how it went.

Looking forward to seeing if it flies properly or gets a Low Battery warning for the controller. Mine is still flying great since I reflowed the board.

Looked at the flowing video. I think that's way over my head. I did the battery but I think that's about it. Is there any way to check the voltage through the charging port? Just wondering?

Is there any way to check the voltage through the charging port?
Sure there is, if you have a digital voltmeter with needle probes, good eyes, and very steady hands

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl