Need Tips/Tricks on how to Remember to Record!! Three of the last four missions - #bonehead - forgot

Reaction score
Anyone have thoughts on the best way to remember to record when flying a mission? When I do real estate, it's 95% photos, so I get the angle and of course I remember to click the shutter. But for longer clips - broll for videos; exterior house tours; live event coverage; I forget A LOT. I have gotten into the habit of when the UAV is warming up, I adjust my camera and video settings. Then I take a ground photo and a short ground video. When confirmed that worked and when I get "Ready" note, I launch the drone. It's at that point my brain must shut down regarding video. I just get engrossed in the angles and the view on the screen that I give myself little self-congratulation messages in my head. Then when I land and see I didn't record, I'm ashamed, bitter, angry and perplexed. Anyone else doing this? Anyone got a simple solution? Thanks!

When confirmed that worked and when I get "Ready" note, I launch the drone. It's at that point

At that point, stop at 6-10 feet and hover. I always do that and watch it for about 20 to 30 seconds, sometimes I'll do a slow 360 or just pan back and forth a little to make sure it's going to be good and stable.

Then get in the habit of starting video recording before you ascend from there.

Or, just start video recording on the ground before you take off.

Or, get Litchi and leave Auto Record turned on in the settings

Reactions: jimlips
All the time. My preflight is to hover, check for stability and start video. I run the video all the time now. Missed a few opportunities for great crash video by not having it recording
This ^^ . In fact, it's on the check list in the log binder so we can't forget. Launch, Hover Test, Begin Video Recording. My spotter calls it out, I answer and he checks it off on the list. Record from launch to landing and for still photos use the C2 button on the remote.

I also start AZRecorder on my tablet at the same time. It records telemetry in case of a crash, and sounds in case a nuisance spectator comes along wanting to start a fight.

I hate that when it happens - mine are all set to auto start record so I never give it a thought.

Attached is a picture of my solution. This is a clip-on badge holder. The technique is to clip your pre-flight checklist on something that you have to deliberately remove it before flying. For example, attach it to your throttle or the drone.

Attachments

• IMG_2456.JPG
    IMG_2456.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 179
  • IMG_2456.JPG
    IMG_2456.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 175
Anyone have thoughts on the best way to remember to record when flying a mission? When I do real estate, it's 95% photos, so I get the angle and of course I remember to click the shutter. But for longer clips - broll for videos; exterior house tours; live event coverage; I forget A LOT. I have gotten into the habit of when the UAV is warming up, I adjust my camera and video settings. Then I take a ground photo and a short ground video. When confirmed that worked and when I get "Ready" note, I launch the drone. It's at that point my brain must shut down regarding video. I just get engrossed in the angles and the view on the screen that I give myself little self-congratulation messages in my head. Then when I land and see I didn't record, I'm ashamed, bitter, angry and perplexed. Anyone else doing this? Anyone got a simple solution? Thanks!

Its happend to me more times that I care to say, forgetting to record and anger and frustration are the best teacher however I now fly one flight for video and one entirely focused on taking pictures , that helped.

It happened to me ones or two times, so I can feel your anger and sadness. The worst thing that could happen is if you're not able to repeat that flight. I realized the issue when I returned home so nothing could be done.
It happened mostly because the video stops recording when you take still images. After that it is very likely you'll forget to switch video recording back.

I do the same thing I used to do with my camcorder... reverse the on/off. I'll unknowingly have it on, recording. THen, I'm ready to record and hit the button during the good part - shutting it off. Then, when I'm done, I inadvertently turn it back on and land.... only THEN do I realize what I've done. did it once with my camcorder, and got about 20 minutes of pitch black when I put the lens cap on, put in in the case, put the case in the trunk, and drove home. Just gotta pay more attention. I know I do.

Forgetting to start a video seems to be a very common, and most frustrating, problem. It never happens when you take a still image because you stop, let the drone hover, and then click. Most videos are taken in several discreet sequences. Before each sequence, take a still image to frame the picture and mark the point where you’re sequence starts. Then turn on the video. The process of stopping, taking care to define the next sequence with a still image, and then starting the video is more disciplined and is less likely to lead you to the problem you were having.

I usually do one long continuous video, set up and capture are all done in one sequence. I then edit out the nonessential portions of the video for the best results. On a separate flight I will capture still photos.

Here's an example where I write a sequence list, take a still image, run the sequence and then repeat for several short sequences. This effort was done with 2 batteries. The challenge is what can you come up with in a short 30 minute visit. Then it was fun the add sound effects to mirror what I heard and a sound track to infer the calmness of the moment. FUN !!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1