Reaction score
Hey guys, I am looking to buy a drone as a gift for somebody. I don't really have a budget, I just want to make sure that what I am buying will be the best if not close to the best. I came across this website and it looks like Phantom makes some quality drones. So I need suggestions. Which one should I get? Or would you recommend a different brand from having experience with this brand? I might also need some guidance on how the drones are different (what some can do that the others cant). Sorry to be a pain, but any info is helpful because I have no idea what I am doing, lol. Thank you!
PS: The giftee will be using this drone for a lot of footage purposes ; they drift cars and they are at the track quite often so getting some premium footage is key. They also have skill when it comes to making some cool videos with footage which will help with getting sponsors. They also travel and would love to have footage when out exploring!

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
What do you think the giftee is going to do with the drone?

What do you think the giftee is going to do with the drone?
I am sorry I forgot to include that information! The giftee drifts cars and loves taking footage while at the race track. They also travel a lot so they would want to get some quality footage while out hiking and exploring.

My son is a drifter. I have a DJI Phantom 3 Advanced. It can hold a position solid as a rock, which is great for video. Find a good spot near the track and hang there. Plus, it's got over 20 minutes on a battery, so you have time to get some material before having to call it back to "refuel."

Notice I said "near" the track; not over it. Just hang off a corner or a good visual spot.

Reactions: nicholeburik
My son is a drifter. I have a DJI Phantom 3 Advanced. It can hold a position solid as a rock, which is great for video. Find a good spot near the track and hang there. Plus, it's got over 20 minutes on a battery, so you have time to get some material before having to call it back to "refuel."

Notice I said "near" the track; not over it. Just hang off a corner or a good visual spot.
That is awesome! Drifting is a blast. Thank you so much for your response. Good point about hanging it near the track, because with previous mini drones they would fly it over top of the cars to get the best footage, so with the DJI Phantom 3 that wouldnt be the case then?

The giftee drifts cars and loves taking footage while at the race track. They also travel a lot so they would want to get some quality footage while out hiking and exploring.
It sounds like the giftee would enjoy something that's more compact. If you're going to buy a DJI drone (a great choice), the Spark or Mavic would be best. The Mavic is the better drone bewteen those two feature-wise. You can compare the differences between those drones here.

FYI, Amazon sells both of these drones too. You can find authorized dealers selling the Spark here or the Mavic here.

That is awesome! Drifting is a blast. Thank you so much for your response. Good point about hanging it near the track, because with previous mini drones they would fly it over top of the cars to get the best footage, so with the DJI Phantom 3 that wouldnt be the case then?
I'm thinking more safety. Don't want to hit a car with the drone. Even if it doesn't do damage, that's a good way to not be invited back. I like to stay just off the track and sometimes fly along sideways with them in the shot. The Phantoms will go 35 or 40mph, so you can stay with them near the curves.

Only way I'd fly over the track or a car is if he's driving solo and I have his permission... that way, if anything goes wrong, it's between us and nobody else.

Welcome to the forum nichole .
I used to be a drifter but got older and had to stop .
Good luck with whatever you chose . :)

It sounds like the giftee would enjoy something that's more compact. If you're going to buy a DJI drone (a great choice), the Spark or Mavic would be best. The Mavic is the better drone bewteen those two feature-wise. You can compare the differences between those drones here.

FYI, Amazon sells both of these drones too. You can find authorized dealers selling the Spark here or the Mavic here.
Thank you!! I have been looking into the mavic pro platinum since your suggestion! Love that it is compact. And by comparing, it almost looks like it has more features than the phantom 4 advanced. Any input?

Only way I'd fly over the track or a car is if he's driving solo and I have his permission... that way, if anything goes wrong, it's between us and nobody else.
Good call! Are you familiar with the mavic pro platinum? Its more compact, but wondering if its 'better' than the Phantom 3 or 4 series

Thank you!! I have been looking into the mavic pro platinum since your suggestion! Love that it is compact. And by comparing, it almost looks like it has more features than the phantom 4 advanced. Any input?
My main concern is the camera and video quality. I can't really say anything about the quads themselves because I've only had Phantoms. I don't mind the larger copter, and the camera on the Advanced or Pro is excellent. At least as good as a GoPro and that's not bad for something that size.

That said, the Phantom is very easy to fly, solid, maneuverable, etc. There are some cool features on the later models, but since I'm about the only one to reply so far, you're stuck with what I know and that's about it. :) I wish I had some video samples available, but at the moment, nothing's been edited or rendered.

That said, the Phantom is very easy to fly, solid, maneuverable, etc. There are some cool features on the later models, but since I'm about the only one to reply so far, you're stuck with what I know and that's about it. :) I wish I had some video samples available, but at the moment, nothing's been edited or rendered.
To be honest the only thing that even had me comparing the mavic & the phantoms were the size and convenience. I still have no idea what I am comparing when it breaks down what type of video quality or dimensions I just suck at this kind of stuff hahaha. Most of all though, video quality is the most important, and if that means Phantom will deliver that over the Mavic then I am sold

Are you familiar with the mavic pro platinum? Its more compact, but wondering if its 'better' than the Phantom 3 or 4 series
The Mavic Pro and Mavic Pro Platinum are nearly identical. The Platinum comes with new props (which can be purchased separately for the Mavic Pro) and has new ESCs that allow it to fly for 2-3 extra minutes. DJI just released the Platinum, so it's going to be tough to get if you need it soon. The current ship time is showing about 20 days after you pay if you purchase it in the DJI Store here.

The Phantom 4 models are very close to the Mavic feature-wise. If you're looking for the best available camera (and size of the drone doesn't matter), then get a Phantom 4 Advanced or Pro.

The Phantom 3 Advanced/Professional is still an okay drone to own too. However, it doesn't have some of the new features -- like front sensors and locking props (my favorite feature of the newer drones).

Most of all though, video quality is the most important, and if that means Phantom will deliver that over the Mavic then I am sold
Here's a video that shows the quality between the Mavic, Phantom 4, and Phantom 4 Pro:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Note: The Phantom 4 Advanced and Phantom 4 Pro use the same camera.

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in DJI quadcopters.

I would suggest the Mavic for your use.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31