Need new source for P2V Prop balancing rod

karatkij said:
Atlanta Hobby does not back up products they sell, once you open the product it's yours if it works or not.
We know your pissed but it is not Atlanta's issue, it is DJI's. If you had just bought it (30-60 days) I would expect some help from Atlanta, but at nearly 6 months you need to take it up with the manufacturer. Did you contact DJI? If so what was their answer?

Does anyone have the exact specs of the thread die and rod diameter? Atlanta Hobby is out of stock so I might make a pair of my own.

MrDRC said:
Does anyone have the exact specs of the thread die and rod diameter? Atlanta Hobby is out of stock so I might make a pair of my own.

The ones I was selling were 6mm thread 1mm pitch.
Glen

Bigvern said:
MrDRC said:

Glen

My son's a toolmaker. I'm going to see if he can whip up a few...

-slinger

Reactions: dirkclod
GneeChee said:
So are the XOXOXO's salvageable?

I just went and looked at my spares, and yup - I have some of those, too. Haven't needed them yet (still have a full set of spare DJI's), but won't even think about trying them until I get my balancing rod and can check them out.

There must be some kind of "clearance" difference between the threads on the prop balancing rods from AH and the threads on the P2V motor shafts. The "XOXOXO" props bind up horribly on the balancing rods, but seem to screw onto the motor shafts without much of a problem.

I was able to balance a full set of the "XOXOXO" props and I'll try them out if the weather ever lets me back up in the air in these parts... :( :( :(

-slinger

LuvMyTJ said:
Maybe the thread pitch is off on the faux blades?

Yeah, it could be off just a tad. I'm going to put my magnifier visor on and compare the prop balancer shaft against the P2V motor shaft, side by each to see if I can pick up the difference.

I wonder if I had flat bottom taps for both CW and CCW with this thread size, if I could cut the XOXOXO blades into a bit better compliance. I wouldn't BUY the taps, but we may have some lying around in this manufacturing facility that I might use for this purpose... :)

I'm also going back through my records to see who I bought these from. If I was dumb enough to buy them on a "best price" basis alone, then I deserve to eat them. I want to go back and see how they were advertised. There's obviously no QC in the process of getting these things out to the sucke--- errr... customers... ;) :cool: :D

-slinger

Bigvern said:
MrDRC said:

Glen

Thanks for the info. What about the CCW die's? Ive never had the need to CCW any taps or die's. Is it as simple as turning the die upside down? LOL, seems to make sense but I dont think my die's have the same starting edge for CCW threading.

MrDRC said:
Bigvern said:
MrDRC said:

Glen

Thanks for the info. What about the CCW die's? Ive never had the need to CCW any taps or die's. Is it as simple as turning the die upside down? LOL, seems to make sense but I dont think my die's have the same starting edge for CCW threading.

I just figured out you need a left handed die to create a CCW thread. I only have a few basic non-metric dies and never even knew about the left handed dies. I bought them years ago to fix a couple stripped bolts. Looks like you can pick up a M6 X 1MM for about $20. Perfect.

themosttoys said:
Another potential option (probably not as nice, but an option none the less) : http://www.midwestcontrol.com/part.php? ... 7Aod0SoAGQ

I was just going to buy from them when I read a post about AH having them. I took a good look at the threads with a lighted magnifier headset and the difference between the threads on the prop balancing rods and the PS2 motor threads is that the motor threads are very nicely finished, with soft rounded edges. The prop balancing rods appear to have been cut, wiped off and tossed in the box. Much sharper, ragged edge. With the DJI props that doesn't seem to matter much at all, so it's all good.

With the cheapo XOXOXO props, apparently they were threaded well enough to fit the P2V motor threads without issue. They don't fit so well over the prop balancing rods, though.

P2V blades + P2V motors = excellent fit and finish
P2V blades + Prop balancer rods = The blades make up for the iffy threads
XOXOXO blades + P2V motors = The motors make up for the iffy blades
XOXOXO blades + Prop balancer rods = train wreck... :shock: :eek: :shock:

-slinger

As an old retired machinist I have to question the accuracy of mounting the props to a thread shaft for balancing. I noticed a difference on my phantom of 0.004" between the male and female surfaces that supposedly align the prop with the motor shaft. My concern is that the threads alone are not going to ensure good concentricity if there is that much difference in diameter between the male and female locating diameters.
The cone method of balancing conventional thru-hole props would appear to be much more accurate in my opinion.
I think that the self-contained (threaded) props should have a small thru hole that would allow the cone method. What good does it do to balance a prop on a mandrel if the prop doesn't mount precisely on the mandrel and/or motor?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4