Need help with Zenmuse H3-2D

Reaction score
When i swicth the remote the gimbal goes crazy. In one position it only film down and in the second position i do like in movie

Its clear i´am a rookie so please help me

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2yWk_WBBWM[/youtube]

Mine is doing something similar. The camera lens points straight down. I have no idea how to program parameters that tell it what the proper horizon line is.

See my long post about it:

Apologies in advance for this long post.

Phantom with Zenmuse for absolute newbies. Written by a newby.

So I decided to write my personal experience with the Phantom and the Zenmuse for the GoPro for the Phantom.

1.) Got two phantoms a few months ago and have learned to fly them in a competent manner.

2.) pre-ordered the Zenmuse from B&H photo and took delivery of it.

3.) Snag #1: No one ever told me that I also had to buy the PMU V2 and that the Zenmuse won't work without it. There is one brief mention in the DJI website (discovered in retrospect) but I think that when you are ordering the Zenmuse any dealer with half a conscience has a duty to point out that without it, the gimbal won't work.

4.) Bought the PMU V2 (had to wait another two weeks to take delivery of that piece!)

5.) performed the installation: soldering, taping, etc. as shown in the DJI instructional video

6.) the DJI website, misleadingly, erroneously, and egregiously states:
"No, you do not need do any calibrating, just install the camera and it’s ready to work"

Nothing could be further from the truth.

7.) After informing myself that one should upgrade various firmwares I endeavoured to do so as follows:
7.1) upgraded Phantom to version 2.14
7.2) installed and upgraded Zenmuse Assistant Software version 1.02
7.3) upgraded for firmware IMU 1.2 GCU 1.4 and CMU 1.0

8.) in the process of all this my Transmitter stopped communicating altogether with the Phantom. I had to pair them again.

9.) I had to recalibrate the Transmitter

10.) a very important point: DJI does not supply the cable to connect the Zenmuse to your computer via USB cable. It uses a special cable. You'd think that for $700 (charge $800 if you need to, but get it right) they would include that cable.

11.) They also egregiously forget to mention anywhere that the only way to connect your Zenmuse to your computer is by opening the Phantom and utilizing that special USB cable. It turns out that there is one inside the Phantom that is used to connect the Phantom to your computer. It's a gray cable. Disconnect it and use it to plug into the Zenmuse module for computer connection. I know these are little things but they are really annoying and are glaring oversights by DJI.

Things I still need to do:

A.) the Gimbal by default moves to a position with the lens pointing directly downwards when I power up the Phantom.

B.) Figure out what is meant by the Tilt Control Switch Setting (in the Zenmuse Assistant Software). When I plug my Zenmuse module to the computer and start the Zenmuse Assistant software, under "BASIC" there is lever that presumably moves with the mouse from TILT to -1000. This does not work at all for me.

C.) Test this thing to see if it actually flies and it actually delivers good footage.

QUESTION:

How can I adjust the tilt angle of my Zenmuse and Go Pro. As it is, the lens points straight down by default and I don't think that's the angle that I want to capture footage from. Shouldn't the camera lens point straight forward and be lined up with the horizon?

Thank you all!

The adjustment for the gimbal tilt is on the back of the transmitter, if you have a look around here, you will find details (I don't have a Zenmuse yet). Various people sell 3D printed levers to suit, or you can add your own 7th channel knob to the front, or you can upgrade your transmitter to a 3rd party one with 7 channels by default.

I suspect new Phantoms will come with this lever fitted soon, as DJI have released an upgrade kit for the gimbal that includes it.

SimonB said:
The adjustment for the gimbal tilt is on the back of the transmitter, if you have a look around here, you will find details (I don't have a Zenmuse yet). Various people sell 3D printed levers to suit, or you can add your own 7th channel knob to the front, or you can upgrade your transmitter to a 3rd party one with 7 channels by default.

I suspect new Phantoms will come with this lever fitted soon, as DJI have released an upgrade kit for the gimbal that includes it.

ok so here is the deal (i think I have a solution to the original poster's problem)

1.) connect your phantom and Tx to the Naza-M V2 Assistant software. Make sure you are running the latest version and firmware
2.) go to Basic
3.) go to RC
4.) perform an X1 calibration as follows:
5.) look at the back of your Tx at the lower right hand corner, you are going to see two holes there is an X with a circle around it next to the holes
6.) insert a flathead screwdriver on the upper of these two holes
7.) press the "START" button for X1 Calibration
8.) turn the screw driver all the way to the left then to the right then to the left again then to the right again
you are going to see the X1 lever move from left to right and you are going to see your camera tilt up and down

When you find the position of the camera that is to your liking stop then end calibration

It's no wonder the gimbal is going crazy. You are trying to use the gimbal control in the "Naza Assistant" software.
You need to turn that off, and install the "Zenmuse gimbal" assistant software.

After you set up the gimbal, in the Zenmuse gimbal assistant software, then you can go into the Naza Assistant software,
and calibrate the X-1 channel, which is on the back of your radio transmitter.

The gimbal control area in the Naza Assistant software, is for non DJI gimbals. The DJI Zenmuse gimbal is "Plug & Play" :D

Audaciter said:
It's no wonder the gimbal is going crazy. You are trying to use the gimbal control in the "Naza Assistant" software.
You need to turn that off, and install the "Zenmuse gimbal" assistant software.

After you set up the gimbal, in the Zenmuse gimbal assistant software, then you can go into the Naza Assistant software,

The gimbal control area in the Naza Assistant software, is for non DJI gimbals. The DJI Zenmuse gimbal is "Plug & Play" :D

I have done that - but I cenmuse assistant softvare. One told me a have tu upgrade the naza assistant softvare but that dont work. It upgrade but after its stil the old version.

Thanks for the advise i look in to it

nosarafern said:
SimonB said:

ok so here is the deal (i think I have a solution to the original poster's problem)

1.) connect your phantom and Tx to the Naza-M V2 Assistant software. Make sure you are running the latest version and firmware
2.) go to Basic
3.) go to RC
4.) perform an X1 calibration as follows:
5.) look at the back of your Tx at the lower right hand corner, you are going to see two holes there is an X with a circle around it next to the holes
6.) insert a flathead screwdriver on the upper of these two holes
7.) press the "START" button for X1 Calibration
8.) turn the screw driver all the way to the left then to the right then to the left again then to the right again
you are going to see the X1 lever move from left to right and you are going to see your camera tilt up and down

When you find the position of the camera that is to your liking stop then end calibration

Thanks man....that was it

nosarafern said:

I think it is great that so many people are willing to share and help. Just making a 'kudos' comment.

Audaciter said:
It's no wonder the gimbal is going crazy. You are trying to use the gimbal control in the "Naza Assistant" software. You need to turn that off, and install the "Zenmuse gimbal" assistant software.

The gimbal control area in the Naza Assistant software, is for non DJI gimbals.

Just want to be absolutely clear about this...

If using DJI's H3-2D Zenmuse gimbal on a Phantom, you need to have the gimbal switch (under the Advanced>Gimbal tab) set to OFF in NAZA-M V-2 Assistant software????

Just want to be absolutely clear about this...

If using DJI's H3-2D Zenmuse gimbal on a Phantom, you need to have the gimbal switch (under the Advanced>Gimbal tab) set to OFF in NAZA-M V-2 Assistant software????

Yes, That section is for setting up gimbals other than the Zenmuse, because it has it's own Assistant software.

The Zenmuse is just "Plug & Play" :D But only after you install it, download drivers for it, and the Phantom, configure
the Zenmuse in the Assistant software, and Reconfigure your Phantom. Oh, and install the lever kit, if you have a stock
transmitter.

Thanks for this, really appreciate it. As a newbie, it seemed kind of obvious that you WOULD switch the gimbal to "on" in the NAZA-M Assistant...
Just wondered where is the documentation to say that you shouldn't with the Zenmuse?

Thanks for this, really appreciate it. As a newbie, it seemed kind of obvious that you WOULD switch the gimbal to "on" in the NAZA-M Assistant...
Just wondered where is the documentation to say that you shouldn't with the Zenmuse?

I'm not sure if there is anything saying to turn it off in Naza Assistant, but the Naza Assistant gimbal control effects ports
F1 & F2 on the Naza controller, for servo based gimbals.
But you didn't need to learn about that due to the "Plug & Play" nature of the Zenmuse. ;)

I have sympathy with the problems posted above. I have a similar issue. I updated the NAZA-M software to 3.14 and the PMU to 0.2.0.4. So all up to date. Connected my Phantom to my PC and everything checked out. I then discovered there was Zenmuse Assistant software 1.02 and installed that. I shut down the NAZA-M programme and started the Zenmuse programme. This seems to have no functionality. I was hoping to get a firmware update from it? When I tried to start NAZA-M software alongside this, it told me that the controller was already running. I'm not sure what I need the Zenmuse Assistant for and how I make it work.

Anyway, when trying to calibrate the X1 channel in the NAZA-M software and adjust the X1 channel on the back of the remote, I can't seem to get the gimbal to respond to turning the screw on the remote. The slider on the X1 channel appears to move itself from the left, middle and right positions and gimbal follows. Somehow I managed to hold the slider in the middle position and the camera looks straight ahead but I'm sure this was more luck than judgement. I'm finding it impossible to adjust the camera tilt other than what it wants. Any ideas guys?

Richard_mcconnell said:
I have sympathy with the problems posted above. I have a similar issue. I updated the NAZA-M software to 3.14 and the PMU to 0.2.0.4. So all up to date. Connected my Phantom to my PC and everything checked out. I then discovered there was Zenmuse Assistant software 1.02 and installed that. I shut down the NAZA-M programme and started the Zenmuse programme. This seems to have no functionality. I was hoping to get a firmware update from it? When I tried to start NAZA-M software alongside this, it told me that the controller was already running. I'm not sure what I need the Zenmuse Assistant for and how I make it work.

Anyway, when trying to calibrate the X1 channel in the NAZA-M software and adjust the X1 channel on the back of the remote, I can't seem to get the gimbal to respond to turning the screw on the remote. The slider on the X1 channel appears to move itself from the left, middle and right positions and gimbal follows. Somehow I managed to hold the slider in the middle position and the camera looks straight ahead but I'm sure this was more luck than judgement. I'm finding it impossible to adjust the camera tilt other than what it wants. Any ideas guys?

I went through pretty much you described, but it has all been sorted out and I can't recall exactly what I did. For awhile I couldn't get the tilt or the H3 Assistant to respond just like what I think you described, but it works great now.

Anyway, I don't use the Naza Assistant ( as Audaciter described earlier), and the only thing I adjust is the tilt. From what I can see, the slider on the H3 assistant doesn't do much, except you just get get to watch it move back and forth in concert with turning the screwdriver.

Couple of things. Did you unplug the other USB cable, the one you regularly use for the Naza? I think it may have been still plugged in, even with the Naza assistant shut down, when I couldn't get the gimbal assistant to do anything.

Also, clean and lightly sand your Shapeways lever (if you get one) or it will break off.

I'm having the SAME problem described right above and can't seem to get the tilt to function at all or the Zenmuse Assistant to acknowledge that the unit is connected (even tho the Naza Assistant does and is fully functional).

Any advice is greatly appreciated! I've tried everything and am out of options.

It sounds like you may be having an issue with the drivers for the Zenmuse Assistant, if it doesn't recognize the gimbal
when attached. You may want to try installing them again.

That's the same drivers for the controller, no? I tried that twice :-/

The driver installers for the Phantom and for the Zenmuse on the DJI website are the same file, I tried installing each at separate points.

You are disconnecting the usb cable from the Phantom, and connecting it to the Zenmuse GCU V1 module, or using a
separate cable, but not running both programs at once right ?

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah I just realized there was a micro-USB connection on the GCU -- it was covered with electrical tape, figured everything would connect through the main controller USB.

So I'm able to get the Zenmuse assistant to acknowledge the Gimbal - HOWEVER, the tilt still isn't functioning. I upgraded the firmware, still nothing. The gimbal turns straight down whenever I power on the Phantom and won't budge with my Futaba (programmed a knob to Channel 5) or in any of the Assistants. Advice?

Oh good, we are getting somewhere. ;) I have a Futaba also, and yes channel 5 is the VR knob.

Go into the Naza Assistant now, and program that. Calibrate the knob as well. I believe it's X-1 ? Anyway, you should
be well on your way. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers