Need help self unlocking "Enhanced Warning Zone"

Reaction score
I've used the DJI Self Unlocking webpage before to unlock warning zones but can't seem to get this one to work. Everything goes fine until I try to "click on the pin" of the area I need to fly in. Shouldn't I be able to do this with an "Enhanced Warning Zone"? I'm FAA Part 107 certified and will only be flying about 100' high max for this flight. The address is: 2970 Epic Place, Grand Prairie, TX 75051.

Thanks in advance!

According to the flysafe map you are within a mile of an airport and right next to the prison.

Have you flown here before?
Screenshot_20190519-190933_Chrome.jpg
q

I have not flown there before. According to the DJI page I am outside the restricted zone of the detention center and beyond the authorization zone of the muni airport. It just shows it in an "enhanced warning zone". I'm shooting for the city so I can get permission from them pretty easily if necessary. I'm just stumped by the DJI page not allowing me to select the "pin". If it were a restricted zone I would understand.

I have not flown there before. According to the DJI page I am outside the restricted zone of the detention center and beyond the authorization zone of the muni airport. It just shows it in an "enhanced warning zone". I'm shooting for the city so I can get permission from them pretty easily if necessary. I'm just stumped by the DJI page not allowing me to select the "pin". If it were a restricted zone I would understand.
Have you tried going to the spot and turning the motors on? If you don't need authorization to fly there, then DJI won't give you none.

Your project is in Grand PRAIRIE Class D Airspace. You need a waiver. LAANC auto authorization not available yet.

Unfortunately your project falls within 0 feet altitude restriction.

Classic. DJI published map does not jive with FAA database which shows class d airspace and 0 altitude.

As you are an FAA Certified PIC, I recommend starting with FAA flight data, not a map from China. Then you would know you could not fly.

I do check dji map but it’s last step in prep.

Anyway you need a waiver.

Reactions: Ansia
Classic. DJI published map does not jive with FAA database which shows class d airspace and 0 altitude.

As you are an FAA Certified PIC, I recommend starting with FAA flight data, not a map from China. Then you would know you could not fly.

I do check dji map but it’s last step in prep.

Anyway you need a waiver.
Although I agree completely with your statement, china's map does not mark that area as a restricted zone, therefore the motors should start.

I'm not condoning his flight. I'm just curious on why the motors wouldn't start.

Last edited:
Although I agree completely with your statement, china's map does not mark that area as a restricted zone, therefore the motors should start.

I'm not condoning his flight. I'm just curious on why the motors wouldn't start.

That was my point. DJI maps do not match FAA data even though, ironically, the DJI map theoretically allowed flight. Usually its the reverse. We can fly but DJI locks us down.

Reactions: farleymom and Ansia
I do as above, I physically drive to location and use LAANC to get FAA approval on my cell. My phantom 4 pro plus then will ground me, I have to make my cell a hot spot and apply for unlock from DJI using WiFi on my P4P+. Sometimes all the little boxes you have to push to apply checkmarks are hard to see but after I self certify, the drone is clear to fly. I’ve never encountered a spot where I have to get manual authorization from FAA though. All mine have been authorized upon submission through LAANC..... but my point in responding to this thread is say the OP had manual authorization from the FAA/ ATC... DJI doesn’t know and should unlock the drone if you self certify. My LAANC says auto authorization coming soon for below 200’. The spot you want to fly is not at the 0’ it’s below 200’

Attachments

• A02249D2-5595-468C-8384-64AA24798527.png
    A02249D2-5595-468C-8384-64AA24798527.png
    315.8 KB · Views: 329
  • 1E75EA59-494B-4D52-9949-DC574BBD3214.png
    1E75EA59-494B-4D52-9949-DC574BBD3214.png
    619.1 KB · Views: 331
The are two different systems so to certify you should have gotten an FAA ok through Laanc, then when you certify through DJI you are one really legal to fly it and your certification is logged. I have gotten to a job that should have been ok only to find DJI had locked me out and would not allow me to fly at all. This occurred at the threshold of a class D and I had clearance, its not a perfect system yet.

Like I said above, after I get FAA PERMISSION, I apply in real time to get DJI UNLOCK. I’ve always been given the unlock. The OP needs to get manual authorization, then go to spot and turn drone on and press all the right buttons on the screen and he’ll get it. Edited to say make sure you have a cell or WiFi connection to your drone

I do as above, I physically drive to location and use LAANC to get FAA approval on my cell. My phantom 4 pro plus then will ground me, I have to make my cell a hot spot and apply for unlock from DJI using WiFi on my P4P+. Sometimes all the little boxes you have to push to apply checkmarks are hard to see but after I self certify, the drone is clear to fly. I’ve never encountered a spot where I have to get manual authorization from FAA though. All mine have been authorized upon submission through LAANC..... but my point in responding to this thread is say the OP had manual authorization from the FAA/ ATC... DJI doesn’t know and should unlock the drone if you self certify. My LAANC says auto authorization coming soon for below 200’. The spot you want to fly is not at the 0’ it’s below 200’

Thats incorrect. Draw freehand around his site on LAANC. Its 0 feet. Waiver required. 200 feet authorization forthcoming is to the east of his site.

Well I inputted address, put my flight at 200’ and did everything except hit enter. You can see on my attached image I used the OP ‘s address and it marked a spot. I didn’t try and hit enter because it says manual authorization anyway. But, I bet I could still get my drone to unlock because it basically says all liability lies with the user not DJI. Of course I only apply to unlock after I get authorization from FAA. which in this case requires manually applying...

AirMap lets me do 400’ radius before I hit the 0’ mark.

Ok, done talking about this hypothetical as I live in PA

So, I was able to try again today and got a little further... I think.

This time I was able to get to the manual unlock dialogue box in DJI Go 4. The first SMS option didn't have any country code to click on (so no dice). When I select "old version", the SMS option says that it can't send me a token and the credit card option gives me an Error code:-13001. So I can't unlock on DJI's webpage and I can't unlock manually with DJI Go 4. Anybody have any suggestion I haven't tried?

Again, I have permission to shoot here I just can't get the drone to fly. I even tried Litche but the drone wouldn't start with it either. I've sent a message to DJI support but who knows when I'll hear back from them. Thanks in advance!

Perhaps this Might work. Cache your maps that you need while on WiFi at home. Don’t turn your phone off but manually shut off your digital service and wifi on your phone. Then put it in airplane mode.
Turn off location services on your phone too before you head over to the job site.

Then you might get the bird up. If it keeps prompting you keep clicking no, cancel, ignore, ah hell no, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera except when you get the responsibility prompt. Click yes.

If that doesn’t work, head over to Best Buy, go into their drone aisle, and look for an ? drone.

That’s an Autel Evo (collective gasp).

Buy it. (Louder gasp)

Reactions: Basspig

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20