Need help diagnosing video issue on Phantom 3 Standard

Reaction score
Hello all,

I got a used Phantom 3 standard about 2 months ago and I have been really liking it so far. I also got my Part 107 license recently too and am ready to start flying professional. I am at the stage of learning the ins and outs of cinematography so that I can make good quality videos.

However, I noticed that a few weeks ago, some of my practice videos have this weird graphical glitch in them. I have been running a number of tests to diagnose and characterize the issue and I will post my observations below. I uploaded a youtube video of the glitch happening and will be including a link in this post. I am not sure what is causing it and if there is a fix for it? Please let me know, I would like to get it solved sooner rather then later:

Characteristic - video:
1) When shooting video, the video runs smoothly, then jumps to another section that I shot. This is a continuous stream but the jump is quite noticeable because there is a section of video "missing". Then the glitch happens and the video jumps back to the "missing" section and resumes playing. Afterwards, the video ends. It is like the video gets out of order
2) Video steam on the phone has correct output
3) glitch is only found on video that is saved to the SD card
4) In some cases, video plays smoothly until the very end and then glitches
5) There is no drop in resolution from the video
6) Occurrence of the glitch in the video is random (at least, I have not associated any events to the time that the glitch has happened)

Characteristic - Drone
I have also noticed a few key signs when operating the drone when the glitch happens (all observations occurred using the DJI GO app)
1) When flying, it takes longer then usual to start recording using the app
2) A big indicator that the glitch happens occurs when the app mysteriously stops recording. Remote control signal is at full bars
3) It has not been characterized if the glitch occurs more or less on the signal strength. Glitch does happen when signal is strong and weak

At first, I thought that it was a playback issue because I was watching video where the SD Card is in the drone and the drone is connected to the computer via USB cable. However, the glitch is still present even if the video is on the computer hard drive.

Here is a link of a video that I took. The glitch happens at the very end of the video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Does anyone know what could be causing this glitch and any ways to fix it?

Forgive me if I missed one of your points. The simplest thing to do is change sd cards. Make sure it is fast enough to properly record your video. To make sure, record in 2k not 4k just for testing at this point. Keep things simple. I don't see how your drone can record to the card and then paste on the older recordings.

OK, I will give that a shot. The P3S can only do up to 2.7k but I can try lowering the reolsution to 1080p and see if that helps

Reactions: tunadoctor
Forgive me if I missed one of your points. The simplest thing to do is change sd cards. Make sure it is fast enough to properly record your video. To make sure, record in 2k not 4k just for testing at this point. Keep things simple. I don't see how your drone can record to the card and then paste on the older recordings.
Hello,

Sorry for the late reply. Took me awhile to get to it since things just kept coming up and up. I attempted to lower the resolution and I am still having the same issue.

I am a big P3S fan and still fly mine often. I had that issue a year ago when I took the plunge on a dirt cheap micro SD .... it did the same thing as you have shown in your video... it turned out the SD card was too slow. DJI Go and DJI Go 4 app will have a warning triangle next to the SD card status on the main screen. I tapped it and it clearly told me the SD card was too slow to be reliable. Swapping out to another of my Samsung Extreme SD cards did the trick.

Reactions: tunadoctor
I am sorry, but your sd card has nothing to do with flying your drone. It has everything to do with retaining your photo images. If you could post your flight data, someone could see it and tell you what your drone is doing at the moment of the crash.

Reactions: Cecil

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers