Need help diagnosing P3 pro gimbal problem.

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

So I crashed my Phantom 3 pro into a tree and it fell about 30 feel breaking the gimbal arm clean off.

I replaced the gimbal arm and ribbon cable using 3rd party parts.

The problem is when I turn the drone on the gimbal goes crazy and the DJI app says "gimbal overload".

I've created a youtube video of the drone showing the problem.

At first after replacing the ribbon cable I had a picture on the camera but now all I'm getting is a coloured "knitting pattern".

Has anyone any idea what I should try next?

Thanks,

Tadgh

I had this exact issue myself when I replaced a broken gimbal arm. Looks like the gimbal arm is not aligned properly on the camera. In other words, the camera can't find its home position based on the position of the motor shaft relative to the new gimbal arm. (In robotic terms, it's like the error: "Cant get there from here"). The new arm was installed while the camera motor was rotated out of position, possibly 180 degrees or something in between. I hope I'm explaining this right. It's Sort of like on your car's engine, having your timing chain off by several teeth on the sprocket. This situation will cause the "gimbal overload" message because the motors are trying to move the camera to a position it cannot reach!

Once you get that straightened out, if you still have other issues (like the picture quality), I recommend you throw away the 3rd party ribbon cable and get a genuine DJI cable. They cost a lot more but it's worth it! People are lured into buying a 3rd party ribbon cable because they're cheap, but they are junk.

I believe the prior Great_Lake is close to being accurate. I noticed that at times the camera was hitting the table or whatever. That will cause a camera overload for sure. Good luck.

Thanks for the help guys. I've checked the positions of the gimbal arms and uploaded some photos.
Do these positions look correct?

Back of motor arm.jpg
camera mount.jpg
gimbal base.jpg

The camera is still going crazy when the drone is switched on. Any ideas about what else could be wrong?

Not sure if u have tried this yet, but try to use the original screw on lens that came with your bird. Maybe the ND filter is causing that to happen. I doubt it but worth a shot, sometimes it is something simple like that. As far as the photos u posted, all looks good. Good luck...

Thanks for the replies. I've changed back to the stock filter.It makes no dif the camera and gimbal is still going crazy.
Any other ideas?

I still haven't got an official DJI ribbon cable in. Could that make the camera go crazy?

Is it worth it to try on official cable or would I be better putting that 50 euro towards a new camera gimbal set or an official repair job?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj