Need Assistance With Repaired P3A

Reaction score
I was having trouble (camera and FPV functions) with my P3A I bought used on ebay a year ago. I decided to send it in to get fixed. It arrived last week and I flew it yesterday. I didn't have FPV and could not bring up the camera functions on the screen. And the AC flew only within the beginner mode distance and height parameters, but the beginner mode function appeared "off". So I should probably approach this from point A and run through the software and firmware steps, check the link(s) between the AC and RC, etc. I don't know where to start. There's folks that say to leave the software updates alone, some say update. I'm sure these are common issues that have been addressed numerous times on this forum. Please help me with some links, ideas and experience to start the process.

I didn't have FPV
The Pro suffers a loss of functionality of FPV if left for a long period of time, they can be flashed and repaired, there is an extensive thread somewhere on the forum about it, not sure if the Advanced suffers the same issue, someone like @quaddamage may be a better source of info on that

And the AC flew only within the beginner mode distance and height parameters,

Chances are you werent logged into the app, DJI bought a new thing in where you need to be signed into the app or else it limits flight distance.

Thanks 'crash', simple tips like 'logging in' is the kind of info I need to start. I look forward to more help and helpful links. I would also like to better understand the relationship or differences between the flight control telemetry and the camera/video telemetry between the AC and controller/mobile device. Perhaps some the answers to my issues lie in those communication links.

Reactions: BillyN
Flight control telemetry comes from the AC via remote while camera/video is from your viewing device. All flight data is stored on your device (in logs) for retrieval, if needed. In case of a crash, it’s not lost.

So I obviously have the controller talking to the AC because I can fly it. How do I check the link to the camera/video telemetry? Also, the auto take-off icon appears on the left of the screen. When I press the icon the slider prompt appears on the screen. When I slide the prompt to the right to initiate take off, nothing happens and a message appears saying "no connection". So I used the "cross sticks" method to start the AC and take off. Is there a telemetry link I need to establish for this too? You guys can see I'm struggling with what talks to what and how to get those links established. I haven't found a cookbook approach listing the steps yet.

DO NOT MUCK WITH UPDATES (yet)! Check everything else first, reset the RC, re bind the RC/AC. Uninstall and re install the App - presumably you're using GO.

Reactions: JoBe and Capt KO
I am using GO. I will go ahead and work through those suggestions, thank you. One other observation I forgot to share is, when my "DJI GO screen" starts there is an "equipment" screen. My screen shows an Inspire bird and when I click on it it gives me three Inspire model choices. Since I'm flying a P3A, shouldn't my equipment choices be in the P3 family?

I am using GO. I will go ahead and work through those suggestions, thank you. One other observation I forgot to share is, when my "DJI GO screen" starts there is an "equipment" screen. My screen shows an Inspire bird and when I click on it it gives me three Inspire model choices. Since I'm flying a P3A, shouldn't my equipment choices be in the P3 family?
When it has the full connection with the rc, then it will show the correct model. I agree with @cheddarman, uninstall and reinstall the GO app. Also check the cable and connection at the OFDM module and camera.

Please clarify what OFDM means. I've learned there are no stupid questions. My cable is good to go. I have a Mavic Pro I bought new and the cable works flawlessly with both my smart phone and tablet when flying it. I, of course, prefer the tablet for it's bigger screen. I also have a back-up cable that works well with the Mavic Pro. But this help from you guys with this process of elimination is exactly what I'm looking for...and thank you for your input. I've seen plenty of you advising not to update firmware on other posts so I won't do that until advised.

I was having trouble (camera and FPV functions) with my P3A I bought used on ebay a year ago. I decided to send it in to get fixed. It arrived last week and I flew it yesterday.
When you sent it in, did you send both the AC and the RC? What did they tell you they fixed if anything?

Swipe the "Inspire" sideways, it is the default model, and it should scroll through the various supported drones.

I have more info that may help you guys steer me in the right direction. I did send the controller in with the AC for repair. Today I uninstalled DJI GO then reinstalled it on my tablet. That went smoothly and I was able to log in after granting all the permissions and accepting all the rules. After pressing the camera function to enter the flight info screen (btw, the camera button only appears under the Inspire equipment photo, it does not appear when the Phantom equipment is displayed). When the flight screen appears, the top center reads "Disconnected" and to the left of it the satellite icon is not lit, but the others are. The camera function icons along the right margin are not lit either. On the Aircraft Status screen the radio channel status reads "Poor" (the AC was ten feet away). The IMU status reads "Normal". On the Image Transmission screen the first Channel line says "Auto". The second Chanel line says "13".
On the Remote Control Settings screen, the Set RC Function was set on "Off", I changed that to "Master". The whole while the LED status light on my remote was green and the little LED camera status light on the gimbal housing was also green. Because the LED status light on the Remote Control was green, that indicated to me that the RC was linked to the AC, so I did not do the manual re-link procedure as described in the manual. So her I am, still no FPV or camera function. One thing I forgot to try is using by smart phone as my mobile device. But my tablet works fine with my Mavic Pro so I don't know why it wouldn't with my P3A. Any ideas?

Have you tried a different data cable yet? The OFDM board is what the short grey flat cable from the camera goes to. It can cause a “disconnected “ issue. Although a P3A camera is a bit different than a P3P camera, they can still stop displaying video transmission.

I will try a different cable tomorrow. I have two cables in my transport case and both work with my Mavic Pro. But since this is an exercise in the process of elimination, that is another item to try and check off. I will also get in touch with the repair shop this week and start a conversation with them. I wanted to get some input from you guys first to see if there was something blatantly obvious I was missing. One thing came to mind during this exercise. I have a very nice (and complex) Canon 5D camera with hundreds of settings and capabilities that at first appear overwhelming. But I bought a comprehensive instruction book written by a private author for that camera and there isn't one area of that camera that's not covered clearly and concisely in that book. I wish there was the same kind of reference(s) available for the DJI line of drones. The factory manuals are good for a quick reference to basic stuff, but don't begin to explain and illustrate all the different screens, settings, parameters and capabilities of these amazing flying machines.

Yep, I really don’t think it is the cable, but it’s a simple thing to check. If it works for your other drone, it’ll work on this one. I still think it has to do with the OFDM board. By the way, what is the model number of the remote controller?

Success, finally. I decided to try my smart phone in place of my tablet...and I got the FPV and all the telemetry connections right away (satellite, camera functions, etc.). So while all that was working I switched out the two and plugged in my tablet...and the FPV and all the telemetry came up in it too. So I wonder what in world was going on previously when just using my tablet....same cable, same RC and same P3A. And this is weird...I shut everything down then powered everything back up with just my tablet...and got the same no FPV and no satellite and camera telemetry....then substituted my phone and it all came up...the re-plugged in the tablet and it continued receiving everything. So it appears I need to start things up with my phone then plug in the tablet. Any ideas what is going on with this scenario? But I'm happy that I appear to have a functioning bird now.

Reactions: BillyN
Have you deleted and then reinstall the GO app?
It’s definitely weird what’s going on ?. Is your tablet in airplane mode and wi-fi turned off?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.