Nearly Lost It...

Reaction score
So my first flight with my P3P went perfect and i got some great pics but my second flight not so good and im hoping someone can tell me why as i dont have the confidence to fly at the mo...

So i was at a track day at Mondello Race Track here in Ireland and when i got there i walked about .5 of a kilometre away from the track and all metal objects and went to set it up. When i set it up it was getting some message about a Magnetic Interference so i calibrated the compass a couple times turned it off and back on and it did nothing so packed up and went back to the track..

About an hour later i see a couple of Phantom 2's flying around so i take mine out and try again to set it up, this time it i was not getting the Magnetic Interference but it would connect for 3 to 4 seconds saying safe to fly and then disconnect again from the GPS, waited for a few mins and this kept happening so yet again i packed up..

I got chatting to a lad that was flying his P2 and he came with me and had a look at mine, we get it up and then it connected and said safe to fly, we left it for about 3 to 4 minutes just to make sure and took off. I took it about 20 foot up and let it hover for a minute or 2 and everything on screen was perfect... So i went to fly around one of the corners but for whatever reason no matter what direction i put the sticks the drone would only fly away from me even if i hit RTH it would start to fly away from me, at this point it had drifted about 100 foot away and no matter what i control it hit it would keep gong in the same direction... My only option was to fly it over the track to the car park and hope when it died it would land safely.. So i ran across the track but luckily enough when i got over it reconnected and i would bring it down and caught it.. Now when i was not hitting any controls it would happily sit in the same spot with GPS locked it a bit of a breeze it was just no matter what control i hit it was only going in 1 direction..

Now im pretty new to this but the lad that was with me took the controls also and and with me and he said he never experienced this and he has had numerous types of drones and always flew a Phantom.. Is there a way for me to check my flight log to see what happened to see if there is something wrong with my drone or was it user error??

Thanks

Loosing your creative mind would be a loss to us all.
I'm lost have not heard of this one... Have you taken it to a knew location and tried a small control flight yet? It really sounds like something was getting your signal.
I'm at a loss...

Reactions: RyanK
1. the flight tracking info on the Pilot App (open pilot app...go to User... Click center bottom icon that looks like a paper airplane then open the last flight). You can check for changes in mode as well as any stick input. Stick inputs are tracked when you click on the flight controller icon in the lower left of the screen.
2. If you were taking video at the time and enabled captioning, watch the video with VLC media player. It won't tell you very much but you may get some useful information.

1. the flight tracking info on the Pilot App (open pilot app...go to User... Click center bottom icon that looks like a paper airplane then open the last flight). You can check for changes in mode as well as any stick input. Stick inputs are tracked when you click on the flight controller icon in the lower left of the screen.
2. If you were taking video at the time and enabled captioning, watch the video with VLC media player. It won't tell you very much but you may get some useful information.

My app keeps crashing when I go into my last flight, I was trying I do this the other day also... Anyone else having this problem??

My app keeps crashing when I go into my last flight, I was trying I do this the other day also... Anyone else having this problem??

What device are you using? What version of Pilot? Also, what version of the Phantom firmware?

You may be able to download the internal binary flight log on the bird but as of yet, as far as I know, no one has fully translated the information. You may want to send the flight log info to DJI but you probably would not have the confidence to fly for weeks until DJI responded.

One last thing. Have you recalibrated the controller sticks and bird in general?

What device are you using? What version of Pilot? Also, what version of the Phantom firmware?

You may be able to download the internal binary flight log on the bird but as of yet, as far as I know, no one has fully translated the information. You may want to send the flight log info to DJI but you probably would not have the confidence to fly for weeks until DJI responded.

One last thing. Have you recalibrated the controller sticks and bird in general?

I'm using an iPhone 6 Plus and when I got it I went to update the firmware on it and it told me it had the latest virsion but I did not try do the controller as I thought it would be the same?? Also I only updated the Pilot App the other day too..

How do you recalibrate the controller sticks??

My app is crashing when I try get my flight log, anyone else's crashing?? I vent get my flight log to send to DJI

There are two flight logs. The one kept on the app and the one inside the Phantom which you can access through the mini USB port on the bird. If your app keeps crashing try closing down all other apps on the 6+. I have no problem with my iPhone 6 app. DO NOT deinstall and reinstall the app, you WILL lose the data before you can copy it.

OK before I would recalibrate the sticks, I would suggest an IMU update and then calibrate the compass with the compass dance.

Calibration of the sticks
1. open your app (assuming you can keep it running) or borrow a friend's device and download Pilot on that device (do this anyway to see if you have an app/device conflict).
2. Click on the camera icon
3. click on the 4 dot arranged in a square icon in the far right upper corner of the app
4. click on the controller icon (second icon from the top in list)
5. click on RC calibration
6. click on calibrate.

I would spend a good deal of time re-reading the manual. I don't think this is standard operator error, it sounds like something went off in the controller or bird whether that was inherent in the bird or inadvertently introduced by the operation of the app.

Reactions: Bigdz
There are two flight logs. The one kept on the app and the one inside the Phantom which you can access through the mini USB port on the bird. If your app keeps crashing try closing down all other apps on the 6+. I have no problem with my iPhone 6 app. DO NOT deinstall and reinstall the app, you WILL lose the data before you can copy it.

OK before I would recalibrate the sticks, I would suggest an IMU update and then calibrate the compass with the compass dance.

Calibration of the sticks
1. open your app (assuming you can keep it running) or borrow a friend's device and download Pilot on that device (do this anyway to see if you have an app/device conflict).
2. Click on the camera icon
3. click on the 4 dot arranged in a square icon in the far right upper corner of the app
4. click on the controller icon (second icon from the top in list)
5. click on RC calibration
6. click on calibrate.

I would spend a good deal of time re-reading the manual. I don't think this is standard operator error, it sounds like something went off in the controller or bird whether that was inherent in the bird or inadvertently introduced by the operation of the app.

Thank you very much for your help I'll do this later on when I get home and I'll also look up how to recalibrate the IMU..

The app has nothing in common with stick and flight control. Got to be some type of interference issue. does it fly ok in another area??

The app has nothing in common with stick and flight control. Got to be some type of interference issue. does it fly ok in another area??
Thanks for clearing that up. The app IS however the only way to recalibrate the sticks if, for some reason, the sticks have lost calibration. Since we don't know if the stick calibration is somehow compromised, I wanted the OP to know how to recalibrate.

I'll try recalibrate the IMU and controller and bring it out and see how I get on..

In my opinion, the compass sensor on the P3 is much better than the P2, and it detects more interference than the P2. Steel in concrete caused more issues. That is probably a good thing for flying but can make it tougher to get a safe to takeoff setting if you are trying to launch from an area with too much interference to get a good compass calibration.

The controller problems that are the primary purpose of this thread are a serious failure, with the potential for losing your P3. I hope oo7tk reports back on if he could get his P3 back to normal, and any ideas on what created the problems in the first place. Sounded scary to me, I crashed several P2s and am really focused on not hurting my P3, because it is a much better product, I consider much more valuable.

Ok so I did the recalibrate on the RC and the drone and went to a place where I walk the dog, now there is not a house or a piece of metal for at least a mile and I'm still getting this warning???

Maybe I need to contact the crowd I got it from and see what they say...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 407
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 503
Ok so I did the recalibrate on the RC and the drone and went to a place where I walk the dog, now there is not a house or a piece of metal for at least a mile and I'm still getting this warning???

Maybe I need to contact the crowd I got it from and see what they say...
What are you using as a base? Looks like a speaker grid ;) I hope this is not some form of advanced trolling :D

What are you using as a base? Looks like a speaker grid ;) I hope this is not some form of advanced trolling :D
I wash i was trolling cause if i was i would not have forked out €1500 and waited 2 months for something that does not work...

Wanted to take it on holidays also but looks like ill have to send it back Tuesday... And by the way its resting on my backpack..

I wash i was trolling cause if i was i would not have forked out €1500 and waited 2 months for something that does not work...

Wanted to take it on holidays also but looks like ill have to send it back Tuesday... And by the way its resting on my backpack..
Yeah sorry I could not resist, it really does remind me of a speaker :D

This may sound like a stupid question but how far are you physically away from the drone when you get this message. The controller should be at least 5 feet away. When you try to calibrate the compass (do the compass dance), make sure there is no metal on you at all. Some have reported inability to calibrate when wearing a large belt buckle. Make certain you have no cell phones, cameras etc on you when you attempt to calibrate. Otherwise it sounds like there is a compass problem on the bird itself.

This may sound like a stupid question but how far are you physically away from the drone when you get this message. The controller should be at least 5 feet away. When you try to calibrate the compass (do the compass dance), make sure there is no metal on you at all. Some have reported inability to calibrate when wearing a large belt buckle. Make certain you have no cell phones, cameras etc on you when you attempt to calibrate. Otherwise it sounds like there is a compass problem on the bird itself.

Yea i would have been approx 5 feet away but ill try all these steps to excess tomorrow and see how i get on..

Reactions: Jeff48920
Omg had a compass error out of no were during flight, my screen popped up that compass error and took off west at full speed. Luckily I had some altitude and was able to keep my cool and flip it to Atti mode and get her back.. I have no idea why it decided to do it. I've probably have had 20 flights, I'm out in the country so they're isn't much interference. I recalibrated the compass and went for a quick flight and all was well. I don't understand why this happened, think I peed a little. From now on I will be calibrating before every flight regardless if I flown there before but wouldn't that increase the margin for error??? Thought it would be One of those don't fix it if it ain't broken?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic