Nearly Lost It...

Wonder if GPS and GLONASS create issues when combined.

Omg had a compass error out of no were during flight, my screen popped up that compass error and took off west at full speed. Luckily I had some altitude and was able to keep my cool and flip it to Atti mode and get her back.. I have no idea why it decided to do it. I've probably have had 20 flights, I'm out in the country so they're isn't much interference. I recalibrated the compass and went for a quick flight and all was well. I don't understand why this happened, think I peed a little. From now on I will be calibrating before every flight regardless if I flown there before but wouldn't that increase the margin for error??? Thought it would be One of those don't fix it if it ain't broken?

I calibrate every time I turn the phantom on. Most of the time its right in front of my house and everytime it has 0 satellites connected before I calibrate. I don't understand why people wait til something goes wrong before they start taking pre cautions. Especially something so minor that takes less than a minute to do. Glad you didnt lose your bird. But compass calibrations are just one thing you shoul do every flight. Check batteries health and voltage is another thing nobody bothers and such a high risk.

From now on I will be calibrating before every flight regardless if I flown there before but wouldn't that increase the margin for error??? Thought it would be One of those don't fix it if it ain't broken?
It is one of those if it ain't broke things and recalibrating every time won't make you safer.
It's better to understand what compass calibration does rather than use it as a superstitious ritual.
Not what caused your temporary glitch. If it's flying straight now, that's all it was.
I calibrate every time I turn the phantom on. Most of the time its right in front of my house and everytime it has 0 satellites connected before I calibrate. I don't understand why people wait til something goes wrong before they start taking pre cautions. Especially something so minor that takes less than a minute to do. But compass calibrations are just one thing you should do every flight.
Calibration every flight is completely unnecessary, and even more so if you are in the same location.
It doesn't make your flying any safer and introduces to possibility of getting a bad compass calibration.
DJI would have recommended it if it was important.
If you don't change anything on your Phantom, you can go months without compass calibration.

Reactions: AmosMoses
It is one of those if it ain't broke things and recalibrating every time won't make you safer.
It's better to understand what compass calibration does rather than use it as a superstitious ritual.
Not what caused your temporary glitch. If it's flying straight now, that's all it was.

Calibration every flight is completely unnecessary, and even more so if you are in the same location.
It doesn't make your flying any safer and introduces to possibility of getting a bad compass calibration.
DJI would have recommended it if it was important.
If you don't change anything on your Phantom, you can go months without compass calibration.
I would hold this to be true. Except the fact everytime I turn on p3 0 satellites. No signal. Theres a red x only the signal strength bars. When I calibrate. Full bars. Green lights. 12-16 satellites.

There is no connection between satellites and compass calibration.
They are completely unrelated systems.
Whatever you do with your compass has no effect on satellite reception.

There is no connection between satellites and compass calibration.
They are completely unrelated systems.
Whatever you do with your compass has no effect on satellite reception.
You may be right. But, that makes no sense at all. How does the bird know where its GPS is without satellites. A compass is letting the bird know where its located.

How does the bird know where its GPS is without satellites. A compass is letting the bird know where its located.
Without satellites, the Phantom has no idea where it is.
You can't tell where you are with just a compass - neither can your Phantom.
The compass only tells it where north is.

Reactions: AmosMoses
Ok so I did the recalibrate on the RC and the drone and went to a place where I walk the dog, now there is not a house or a piece of metal for at least a mile and I'm still getting this warning???

Maybe I need to contact the crowd I got it from and see what they say...

Because you are on a metal table.. Not good..

What was the craft sitting on in the picture?

EDIT, found it, your backpack?

No metal in the backpack including zippers or other things like laptop or tablet, maybe screw drivers?

The craft has it's compass in it's leg, if sitting close enough to a metal object you will get this. If not you have a bad compass.

What was the craft sitting on in the picture?

EDIT, found it, your backpack?

No metal in the backpack including zippers or other things like laptop or tablet, maybe screw drivers?

The craft has it's compass in it's leg, if sitting close enough to a metal object you will get this. If not you have a bad compass.

I was not doing the calibrate for the compass ontop of the bag?? I was away from the bag and anything else, onlt thing i had on me was car keys.. Going to try again this evening

Yes but the craft was sitting on top of the bag when you were receiving this message, correct?

Also for those guys that are married, take off your wedding ring when you do a compass calibration. Rings and watches are the most common error for bad compass calibration .

Yes but the craft was sitting on top of the bag when you were receiving this message, correct?

Also for those guys that are married, take off your wedding ring when you do a compass calibration. Rings and watches are the most common error for bad compass calibration .

No i received this message when the compass calibration tried to finish.. My compass would not calibrate at all..

No i received this message when the compass calibration tried to finish.. My compass would not calibrate at all..

Try again if it doesn't calibrate and you don't have metal on then it's a bad compass.. What are the mod values under sensors?

One thing I've noticed is you have to rotate past 360 degrees in both horizontal and vertical planes when doing the compass dance. Try holding the bird at arms length away at eye level so you can confirm when the lights change.

Otherwise you probably have a defective compass.

Reactions: oo7tk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues